Pear Tree Inn and Country Hotel
Ye Olde Talbot(Worcester)
US$90
  • Breakfast included
US$107
Worcester Whitehouse Hotel(Worcester)(Great Value!)
US$89
  • Room Service
US$80
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbridal suitecountry lanewedding breakfastwedding venuewedding receptionsized roomnice bathroombooked a tablesunday lunchsalmonone night staybit datedan evening mealgood nights sleepfull englishyogurtparrots
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I was one of the party last weekend too. The hotel is clean and in a delightful location, staff were great - friendly, welcoming and very hard working. There just were not enough of them to cater for the numbers involved.
The tables at dinner on Friday were cramped, but the staff were able to move behind the diners to serve. Not so on Saturday. We had to pass meals along from the ends of the tables, and then pass the dirty dishes back. My wife had pre-ordered vegetarian meals and her choice was not available when we sat down for dinner on Saturday. - No explanation, just not available !
The breakfast on Sunday morning was grim. We went to the dining room at 9am to find luke warm food and drink which had clearly been prepared some time previously and left in warm receptacles to "settle". Again, friendly staff, just not enough of them to run the place properly.
The manager can make excuses, and if diners did change their pre ordered meals at the last minute then that is not acceptable, but the dining arrangements were a disaster and ignoring the obvious does not cure the issue.

3  Thank p_brown525
Michael P, General Manager at Pear Tree Inn and Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor and my sincere apologize for not meeting your expectations.

As I mentioned to your organizer, there were some kind of lack of organizations from both part.

After a full investigation with the team, I must agree with yourself that the table arrangement was not the way it supposed to be for both comfort and service.

Unfortunately we can only learn from the past and ensure such discomfort will not occur in the future.

I would like to thank you for your positive feedback regarding the staff.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Whilst we have been to the Pear Tree previously it has been for sometime as we like to try different places across the county. I decided to book with the hotel as a colleague had mentioned the relaxed atmosphere and the great Sunday lunch menu.

I decided to call into the hotel to make the booking as it was important that disabled access and seating could be arranged prior. Upon arriving at the hotel I was pleasantly surprised how full the car park was which I believe is always a positive sign. We were shown to our table which was perfect for an extended family gathering.

Hopefully the following should help other interested parties;

Atmosphere - Very relaxed with tables throughout the restaurant comfortably positioned.

Food - The majority of my family opted for the carvery; the vegetables were fresh and the beef was generous and some of the best I've tasted for a long-time. I understand from a discussion with the chef that the joints are now being sourced locally.

Service - We had two people managing our table, both were very polite and efficient considering the changes we made during the drinks order.

Convenience - The location was perfect for my family who were travelling from various locations.

Overall Value for Money - Quite honestly, I don't know how the restaurant makes a reasonable margin based on the quality of food and drink considering the service which we were afforded.

Perfect for - A family meal out where you can relax both in the restaurant and the bar afterwards. If you like a carvery then this one is up there with the best for Worcestershire.

Would we go back? - Most definitely.

Great to see the hospitality trade getting it right on all accounts which unfortunately these days is sadly not often the case. Well done.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to read that we have impressed you with our food and service for you family gathering.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I booked a group of 32 in for a 2 night party weekend from 6th-8th December.
The hotel is very nice. The grounds & rooms are fine & the staff are pleasant & helpful.
Sadly the management is diabollical! We had to pre-order our menu choices from a very limitted menu (staff admitted that no-one usually attends both the Friday & Saturday party nights so the menus were identical)
.Despite our having pre-ordered there was not enough melon available as a starter so one person had to have a fruit salad and our vegetarian had to have an identical meal on both nights because her Saturday night choice was not available.
On the Friday night we were very squashed but on the Saturday it was even worse. We were placed on two narrow tressle like tables and were seated cheek by jowel. There was so little space that we almost had to synchronise our breathing. I have had more elbow room on a Ryan Air flight!
The staff were unable to move between the tables so we had to pass the plates of food down. We had to pile the coffee cups up in the centre of the table to make room for our dinner plates.
The waiting staff did their best but they were fighting a losing battle.
The dance floor for the 'party' was a mere 12X12 feet (I paced it out) & this was to accommodate 120 people! Shambollic!
Reception received several complaints at the time.
When I complained to the Events Manager I was told that she would 'Bear it in mind when the next party was planned'. Bad planning or greed??
The Saturday party night cost £28 per person and frankly was not worth half of that. In fact it was not worth attending at all it was an endurance test not a party.
I am so disappointed & feel guilty that I subjected my group to this dreadful experience. The hotel promised so much but delivered so little.

2  Thank Mucnud
Michael P, General Manager at Pear Tree Inn and Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor and my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations.

I am delighted to read that you were pleased with the Hotel, the grounds and our staff.

I am however somewhat confused and displeased about your comment regarding the ‘diabolical management’ and the WARNING message. In hospitality is not deemed unreasonable to ask for a pre-order for large banquets (for which we have never had any negative feedback before) and as you were booked for a Christmas Party Night, it would naturally be a limited festive menu. In fact I would argue that 3 choices for each course is not limited as most establishments would offer a set menu only which would then remove the requirement for pre-orders. From your feedback I am inclined to think that you were expecting an ‘a la carte’ menu? When you originally booked in September this was clearly explained to you and the fact that we would not be able to offer alternative menus for the second night as the menus were more than accommodating with 3 choices for each course and to confirm your statement we have not yet had any party book for 2 consecutive nights for these party nights. Despite this, we still offered additional vegetarian dishes for the starter and main courses which you were happy with at the time.

Regarding your comments for the food, I feel we were more than accommodating as we changed your pre-orders even on the day of the party which is against our policy. The reason we ask for pre-orders is so the Chefs have prepared the correct orders for each party ensuring a seamless service on the day. However, despite the fact that you had pre-ordered your food, several members of your party decided to change their minds on each night. Nevertheless, we accommodated all your requests without hesitation. The fact that your guest did not receive a melon starter was because the melon was not pre-ordered by that particular guest. The vegetarian choices ordered were also all available so this is also not true. This is validated by the printed, named pre-order sheets placed on each table to remind guests of their pre-orders.

On Friday Night there were 119 guests in a room which accommodates 200 guests for a sit down meal. It is therefore unreasonable to state it was squashed. I have images of the room set up on Friday should you wish to view these. On Saturday, the party was in the room which accommodates 120 guests which is covered in our Health & Safety Regulations. The number of guests in the room on this evening was 91. Based on this, I think you will agree that there was no Health & Safety risk in the unlikely event of a fire. The set up of the room will have been cosier than the previous night due to a slightly smaller function room. Contrary to your comments, we did not receive any other complaints from other parties attending that night. Likewise the dance floor was ample for 91 guests. May I take the opportunity to highlight that we have over 80 functions a year in this room with similar numbers without any complaints.

I would like to bring to your attention that it appears that the expectations of the guests attending your party were somewhat different to the event planned. They seemed to be under the impression that they were dining in a private room and when they realised there was a disco involved we had several guests requesting the music to be turned down. In fact one guest insisted on eating alone in the lounge. This would imply that as the organiser you had not set the expectations of your guests in line with the event attended.

In summary the Hotel delivered a Christmas Party Night as promised in the brochures / marketing material, as it has done so for numerous years. Once again I apologise if this was not in line with your expectations, but would appreciate not being subjected to such a harsh review without material justification. The Events Manager quite rightly acknowledged your feedback and advised it would be taken on board as we are always grateful for customer feedback. This does not however go to say that we are implying there was an issue with the events. Naturally, we would look into any concerns / issues raised and feedback accordingly, as we have done in this case.

Based on the above, a 2 star rating is a very unfair reflection of the evenings attended and it would not be unreasonable to request that this review is altered to reflect the facts or removed completely.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Although this hotel has very well presented rooms, clean and comfortable, it is no place to go for a Christmas party. We have just spent a weekend there with 28 friends and had the most uncomfortable meal ever. The place settings were so close that we had to move most of the crockery on to the floor to make space, and had to eat using ONE HAND there was no room to use both. It was impossible for the staff to get in between the tables so all food had to be passed down. The food was made from good ingredients but was undercooked, over spiced and served on cold plates. It there had been an emergency we would not have been able to get out of the dinning room. It has to be said that the staff were very helpful, very over worked not enough of them because they were running around trying to please everyone.
What a terrible party, and we travelled 100 miles to get there! Best to check if there are any weddings or parties on if you want to have a relaxed time.

4  Thank Applyyard
Michael P, General Manager at Pear Tree Inn and Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor.
Please read my comments to the previous comments from your organizer.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Only stayed for 1 night, but would happily have stayed longer! The hotel is set in beautiful grounds, but on our return late at night, the sat nav directed us to the rear car park...thus the rear door to reception was locked...should have packed a torch...as there were no lights to guide us back to the front of the hotel!! Breakfast was adequate, breakfast staff appeared a little stressed but to be fair, the hotel was fully booked and very busy. Rooms were clean, in fact, whole of the hotel was immaculate.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor.
Our car park lights are on a timer and we have since readjusted the timing. I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.
We are hoping to welcoming you back in the near future.