All reviews bridal suite country lane wedding breakfast wedding venue sized room wedding reception nice bathroom salmon an overnight stay sunday lunch bit dated an evening meal full english breakfast good nights sleep yogurt parrots joey
Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the years, but this was the worst. Damp smelling room, broken bed, and the evening meal was awful with hairs in the pudding. Can’t imagine will ever go back

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2018

When we arrived it turned out that our request for a twin bedded room hadn't been passed on by booking.com. The double room offered was too small for my long-legged husband so we were changed to a family room instead. The room was clean and had all we needed, but there were minor irritations such as the plug in the washbasin didn't work, the tap was loose and wobbled round, there was no table lamp for the single bed and the bed had to be pulled out to reach the electric sockets.
A wedding was being held on the Saturday but the disco was closed at midnight so we weren't disturbed by it.
The food in the restaurant was fine, basic but well-presented. The parrot in the adjoining bar was a bit of a nuisance, especially at breakfast when it screeched continually through our meal.
This is a lovely building, the friendly staff couldn't have been more helpful but the place needs a firm hand and some investment to bring it up to the level it could easily reach.

Stayed: August 2018
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for one night B&B alone. It has parking, I felt safe and it was fairly clean.

The hotel is dated and in need of freshening up, a fan wouldn’t have gone a miss as it was hot.

Probably would pay the extra for a premier inn etc next time just stayed here for location.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2018 via mobile

Impulsive visit with a good friend when she csme to stay for a couple of days.
They had a lunchtime offer on. 3 courses £9.95. Let’s give it a go.
First thing to catch my attention.., deathly quiet here. No other customers, no sign of life. Had to go looking for staff. We sat outside. It was ok but tired and bland.
Fair choice on the Menu. I must say, the food was DELICIOUS! Every course was superb! No complaints regarding the staff either. It just lacked atmosphere and someTLC. It’s such a lovely building and should have been much busier, due to the offer. I was sad to see it feeling run down.
A pretty beer garden with flowers and lights etc is an idea to bring people like me in. I won’t be returning any time soon, unless changes are made. Sorry.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2018

I booked the Pear Tree with a little trepidation bearing in mind some of the awful reviews. I needn't have worried. If you want an ultra modern clone of all the other ultra modern places then you will be disappointed. If on the other hand you want somewhere with a bit of character and traditional feel, plenty of space and lovely surroundings then you won't. The first thing I noticed was plenty of space, wide corridors and a very good sized room. Some reviews say the decor is dated. Actually its just traditional and warming rather than cold and clinical. I like that, True there was a bit of peeling wallpaper but only little corners that could easily be stuck down. Other than that the room was great, clean airy with a good desk, a proper wardrobe, 2 occasional chairs and a coffee table to complement the extra large very comfortable bed. No sign of mould, dead flies or ants as in another review. Some have said the beds are too hard. I disagree. They're certainly firm but comfortable and ideal for my ageing back. The bathroom has been recently refurbished and spotlessly clean. The TV appears on the small side but that is probably because the room is so big. Certainly one of the clearest pictures i've seen on an hotel screen for a long time. The Broadband is slow if like me you're used to high speed fibre broadband. I suspect
that being in the middle of nowhere as the Pear Tree is, fibre hasn't reached them yet. It is good enough for checking emails and stuff, you just need to relax and have a little patience.
The staff are great, friendly and helpful. Some have said the service is slow. My view is its just relaxed and unhurried. Decided to eat in the restaurant, unhurried but attentive service. Staff have the time to serve you properly and not rushing around like dervishes. My order was taken quickly. I had the baked Camembert to start, beautifully cooked and not microwaved. Really nice crusty rolls and an ultra fresh salad garnish finished off the dish very nicely. For mains I had the Chicken Supreme. Perfectly cooked chicken, Sauteed potatoes were just nicely crispy but not fatty, Green beens were perfect just slightly aldante to give a little crunch and a beautifully subtle sauce to go with it. All in all a beautifully cooked and presented meal. Those complaining that service is slow obviously don't appreciate that food cooked to this standard takes a bit of time rather than the prepackaged frozen microwaved plastic food you get in many places.
So to sum up if you like ultra modern places where service is like being on a conveyor belt then go somewhere else. If on the other you like somewhere that's relaxed, roomy, airy and calming with a bit of character and a chef who really know's what he/she is doing then the Pear Tree should be on your hit list.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business