“Terrible Hotel - I won't be back!”
Review of St. Lawrence Hotel

St. Lawrence Hotel
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Worcester
Wales
“Terrible Hotel - I won't be back!”
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I booked an over night stay at this 'hotel', admittedly I wasn't expecting much due to it's 2 star rating but at 39 pounds a night you would expect at least a clean room. I arrived and was shown to my room which was situated on the 1st floor. It would be easier to list the problems as there are so many: My door was difficult to lock, the furniture was old and most of the drawers did not have handles so you couldn't open them, the wardrobe smelt damp so I couldn't use it, tired decoration with wallpaper peeling off the wall, dirty stained carpet, un-washed and stained bed cover, a horse blanket and one sheet on the bed, window wouldn't stay open, toilet seat was broken with the fittments left on the back of the cistern, shower was so small I could just fit in it, water pressure was non-existant .........OK onto breakfast. Range of self service cereals, a toaster and a type of un-identified juice in a jug plus a coffee/tea machine which my fellow guests struggled to work. I made a cup of tea and it was like syrup. I was then offered a cooked breakfast which was tasteless ..... finally when I checked-out I was made to struggle with my bags and case to my car as the proprietor waved goodbye at the door! The only positives I can think of is that I have a clean towel and a nice wide-screen TV in my room.... that's it.

Room Tip: PLease lower all expectations and take slippers as you won't want to walk barefooted in your roo...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Travel40Wales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Yorkshire
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We arrived at the hotel and when we had paid we were handed a key and told our room number and left to find it. When we got to the room it was spacious but needed a good clean and a refurb. The bed was ok and the sheets were clean. We could only get 4 channels on the ancient tv in the room. The bathroom had carpet on the floor and had towels in front of the toilet and shower. This room also needed a good clean and the sink had a crack in it, the shower head was hanging loose and the shower was quite small.
The dining room and lounge area were nicely furnished but yet again a good dust and vaccing would have helped.
Our breakfast was self service eg:- cereals, fruit, toast but the cooked meal was available if required.
The hotel is in a nice spot and we did not get any traffic noise and there was free parking. A short walk took us directly into Worcester centre.
All in all with a good clean and updating this hotel could be really good.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2010

We were pleasantly surprised after reading older reviews that the Hotel was very nice. The staff were very friendly and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The breakfast arrived very quickly and we all enjoyed it. The location is great for access to the city center. Overall it is excellent value. We would definitely recommend it and return again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank NMW18
wales , united kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2010

the room was big but the window did'nt open unless you put a wedge there.
the place looks so tired, it needs a total refurb, all old furniture and decor/carpets etc
location good only 5 mins walk into city
breakfast very good, only thing going for it though
the place is used by contractors most of the time

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Worcester hotels

Wiltshire
Reviewed 29 November 2009

We stayed in room 10. The room was sparsely furnished but sheets on the bed were clean. Ensuite was clean with clean towels left on the beds. There was tea and coffee and 2 small bottles of wine provided in the room. The room was adequately heated although cold on arrival as the window was wide open (cold day). To our horror we woke up in the morning to find bed bugs in our beds and blood speckled and smeared over the sheets. We hastily leap from our beds and into the shower! The management did refund our money without hesistation and did not seem surprised and did not even come up to check our room and beds for themselves.We will report incident to environmental health.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
Manchester
Reviewed 26 May 2009

We stayed in room 15 which we discovered in the morning was infested with bedbugs and we had been eaten alive, we are now in quite a bad way with the bites and have reported them to environmental health. The hotel owners didn’t seem surprised when we told them about the bedbugs and showed them the blood on the bed sheets so I don’t believe that they will be getting this room fumigated anytime soon.
Even without the bedbugs this hotel is pretty dirty, there was hair around the sink and the toilet wasn’t flushed from the previous occupants. I would just recommend giving this hotel a wide birth.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DeanaMc
West Midlands
Reviewed 27 January 2009

Because there were 4 couples in our party, we were given the top floor, this was not a problem for us. We never saw any of the staff once we'd checked in, then again at breakfast (which was good) and again at check out.

The rooms were adequate, dated furniture but clean.

We are going back this year, as it is cheap and ideal for the horse racing.

• Liked — The fact that you were left to your own devices
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends