“Cheap and not cheerful”

Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Worcester
uk
“Cheap and not cheerful”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The hotel is in a great location, quiet and within easy walking distance of the city centre.
The only reason we booked this hotel was the free parking and free breakfast.
We parked on the street as the car park was full and the breakfast consisted of stale bread, warm yogurts and small packets of cereal, (no cooked breakfast or any staff to ask for one).
The bedroom was cold, cramped and the beds were very uncomfortable. There was little room to move round the room and the shower was ver small and on the other side of the room to the bathroom. There were also no towels in room and the kettle lived on the floor.
The receptionist was glued to her phone both when we checked in and checked out, so not the most welcoming. The decor gave us lots to talk about.
Overall not worth the money, if it was half the price we would go again, just for one night.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
south london
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Hi stayed here for 1 night with my partner and baby. Room was a bit dated although was ok for 1 night. Comfortable bed. Unfortunately we were cold in the night even with the heating on full blast. Asked for a cot for the baby (6 months) but they said they didn't have any. Warm shower. Lady on reception very kind and helpful. Fantastic breakfast, I was in a rush so the owner insisted that she made me a sausage sandwich for the road. Not as close to the centre as I had thought, I got a taxi to the university which cost me £7!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

we were needing only a base to stay as were meeting friends who we had not seen in 20yrs. On approach the hotel looked a little tired,but there was plenty of parking the week we stayed. The member of staff on reception was very reserved but pleasant. The room I booked was a ground floor addition being separated from the main building by a bright and warm conservatory which was great for reading and enjoying a cuppa. The bedroom itself was a little dark and the bedheads were not attached to the actual beds which resulted in banging every time you turned.The bedspreads were both dated and a little grubby although the sheets and blankets were clean.The ensuite consisted of toilet and handbasin and separate shower which were both up to date and clean. We were frustrated to find that the kettle did not fit under the tap adequately so we had to fill it a cup at a time! The complimentary tray was changed daily but everywhere needed a good dust .Also we were surprised to find in such an historical city there were no pamphlets available for things to see. However the breakfast was superb and very informal,there was no rush and you could help yourself to whatever you desired. We loved the coffee making machine with its many choices.The lady from reception was also the waitress and showed great concern as I was unwell on arrival,each day asking how I was? The great thing was its location,only a short walk to the center alongside a lovely canal.

Room Tip: The bedrooms in the annexe are very quiet as separated from main house by conservatory and also have...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bayviewwriters
Camberley
Reviewed 10 November 2013

First of all, a reminder that this my opinion ( plus my partner ) and our experience of this stay.

The booking was quick and easy and the 'confirmation of arrival' phone call was unexpected, as not many hotels do this. The car park was a bit crowded, so we had to be aware of blocking other people in. I felt that it was more like a B&B, as we had to ring the bell for entry, and once inside, the girl had to 'open up' the counter to process our booking.
We were put in room 6 which was a big room with new carpeting and a kingsize bed plus several cupboards for clothes etc. There was a 'dated' TV set which was connected to a freeview box and there was complimentary tea, coffee & biscuits. The en suite was quite large, which had the usual toilet & basin, along with a shower. We had a comfortable night in bed, but the early morning trafficwas heard. Breakfast was a selection of cereal, fruit, yoghurt etc. and if wanted, a simple 'English Breakfast' Drinks were served from a machine, rather than fresh from the kitchen, but it was OK. Also, there was a large living room with a 'Monster TV' for guests who wanted to mix in the evenings etc.

Now for the downside
The wallpaper looke dated and in places, peeling off
There was only a main light cluster with 5 lamps in, no bedside table
Although the TV had freeview, it wasn't a very good signal
Windows were sash type, therefore no double glazing, hence hearing traffic
The windows in en suite had no curtains, so I felt that anyone outside could see what was happening inside, even though the glass was opaque
The basin had a crack in it, but this is just an observation.
The shower was a cubicle type, which would be more at home in a static caravan. Not Ideal for my tall frame.
Staying with the shower, the head was broken and the hose leaked, so more water was wasted than covering us.

In a 'Nutshell' it wasn't a bad place to stay for one night. We felt that it needed a big overhaul and modernisation. Also, we felt it was more like a guesthouse than an hotel, perhaps a change of name............

Room Tip: It is an Edwardian house, so stairs are awkward. Not sure about suitability for disabled.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2013

booked for 2 nights for wedding. rooms were clean but very tired and need freshening up. our bed was fine but our family in another room found the bed had sunk in the middle and their tv did not work. breakfast was standard with hot or continental choice available. great for location. 5 minute walk into town centre with free parking at the hotel. for £55 per night, you cant really moan for what you get. great for overnight stay could charge a lot more if the interior was freshened up a lot.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank lhadley
FL
Reviewed 21 August 2013

First of all, the Great. I slept extremely well, which is the most important thing to me, in a hotel (Room 1). I do use earplugs generally, but it was quiet there anyhow. The Good, the bathroom and the bed were clean, and the food was good also. Not spectacular, but very good English breakfast type food. I can't speak about the TV because I never turned it on. I noticed some reviewers spoke to that. The downside is that the rugs and floor area are not very clean, so take slippers or flip flops for when you get out of the shower.
The very, very Great part was the location. I could walk everywhere in Worcester from this hotel. I'm a runner too, and morning runs were glorious!

Room Tip: I know that Room 1 is good, but may be too small for a couple. Just right for a single.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sally47
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I visited this hotel with a group of friends; staff were friendly enough but the beds on my room were very uncomfortable, we could feel the springs through the top of the mattress and the bed was wooden and creaked loudly at the slightest movement.The bedding comprised of the normal sheets but also a blanket and throw over, I ma used to having a duvet when I have stayed in hotels before.
Our friends room had a carpet that did not look as if it had been vacuumed.The shower was small and considering the size of the bathroom it could have been bigger.
Breakfast was greasy and some of the cereals were out of date. Tea/coffee were out of a machine, juice was warm. The table was well set but if you wanted to have juice you had to drink out of large wine glasses! Not a hotel I would stay in again or recommend..
Room key was same as front door key- which I believe meant it was pointless locking your room because everyone had the same key.
The saving grace of this hotel is the location; only a short walk to the centre

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lorrainef67

Travellers are raving about these Worcester hotels