“Fantastic country pub”
Review of Anchor Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Worcester
Anchor Inn
Ranked #21 of 27 Worcester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2013

As a newbie to the village I was a little worried about finding a new local to drink in. On a walk of the village I happened to come across the anchor. The interior was traditional and gave off a warm and welcoming feeling. The landlady was lovely and made me feel very welcome to the pub and to the village. The owner of the pub who was also the chef made us a lovely meal from a large range of choices which was thoroughly enjoyed. Definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Laura S

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Pre paid for this stay which was a big mistake. Booked in and was shown to the room. There was an unpleasant smell as you entered the building and the staircase creaked on every tread. The room was very tired, the pillow cases hadn't been ironed. The big turn off was the bathroom where the shower was shabby and covered in mold. Couldn't stay there in those conditions so sourced alternative accommodation in the village which was different again. Cannot comment on the food as didn't stay to eat. The whole place had seen better days and I cannot recommend it to anyone as a place to stay even on a budget as even one of the budget hotels offers far higher standards both of cleanliness and comfort.

Room Tip: I cannot recommend any kind of stay in this establishment. It needs a huge amount of TLC to bring it...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Average pub. On side street in village. Not always open at lunch times. Have been past many lunch times and not open!!! When open a fair crowd can get in. Pensioners day on wednesday and sunday lunches are their busy days.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank oleJersey
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I wish there were ratings for negative ratings. If there were I would rate it as negative ten. The place is a dump. The rooms are not just tired but smelly with mold around the windows and in the bath room. The room also stank of stale cigarette smoke and mold. When you enter, the pub is also smelly and tired. The owner was also rude and unhelpful when I was booking the room and getting directions. Any guests were treated like we were doing him a favour by booking to stay in his awful horrid establishment. It was so awful that I could not remain and checked out and found another BB offering lovely clean rooms and a friendly face for the same price in the village. What can I say but DONT stay here. Rather sleep in your car!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mary Jane t
randik, Owner at Anchor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

This malicious review was posted by a customer who did not check out as she claimed but left the premises without notice. When reprimanded by email the customer demonstrated the same disregard for the loss to our business of potenial sales revenue of some £150.00. The customer was impolite in manner almost to the point of being rude to me personally. Other guests who stopped for a wedding party nearby made no complaints whatsoever. I think that in the circumstances this review should be judged for what it is and removed from the website.

Reviewed 1 July 2011

I stayed here for 1 night in June 2011. I booked The Anchor Inn & Restaurant because I wanted to stay in a quiet village away from the motorways, have dinner and a pint on the premises and get a good nights sleep before heading off to Bath for business. I got a very friendly welcome from the young man who is the chef and enjoyed a chat with the owner over a pint of ale in the bar and had one of the best bar meals, both for the standard of the food and value, that I've had in years.
However, the room was really grim. It's not 3 star accommodaton. The paint and paper was shabby and the furniture old fashioned (not in a good way) but worst of all was the bathroom. It was dirty, dimly lit, a terrible shower with only a trickle of water and was that chipped paint on the loo seat? Definately keep your shoes on - don't walk barefoot on that bathroon carpet!
The bed was clean and comfortable though and the village is quiet so I expected to get a good sleep and I would have if I hadn't been able to hear the man in the next room snoring all night through the paper thin walls. Every floor board in the whole place creaks and you can hear all the plumbing too.
The nice young man appeared just long enough to take the order for breakfast, but did not stay long enough to inquire if everything was ok. The breakfast was good but he didn't come back to see if I wanted more tea or anything else and I couldn't find anyone when I was leaving when I would have mentioned the horrible room so, having paid in advance, I left the keys on the bar and went on my way.
I wasn't expecting luxury for £40 but I do expect the room to be clean. And a loo seat you're not afraid to sit on. And a shower with enough water to get washed properly. And carpet in the bathroom? What were they thinking?
So I'd highly recommend The Anchor for food and ale, but if you want to stop for the night I'd would advise you to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 May 2011

This is pub first and accommodation a very distant second. The wallpaper was faded and torn, the bed was lumpy. The bathroom was showing the uncleanness that comes with poor maintenance. Breakfast was good but served by cook who was rushing to go shopping and left after he delivered the hot breakfast not to be seen again. Disappointing for such perfect location

• Stayed: April 2011