“Nice venue on the 1st floor and good food.”

The Carlton Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 150 Restaurants in Aberystwyth
Cuisines: Healthy, Cafe, Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Carlton Restaurant has been under new management since its opening on 3rd July 2013. Owned and run by former chef and owner of the popular Corner's Restaurant on Chalybeate Street (who have also welcomed famous Welsh celebrities in the past such as Tom Jones and Cerys Matthews from Catatonia), Toni and her partner, Gaffari, would like to welcome everyone! The Carlton Restaurant is centrally located in the main town centre of Aberystwyth and boasts an elevated position (above Superdrug) overlooking the main street. Locally-sourced and fresh ingredients and home-cooked with great care and attention to customers' health and well-being are at the forefront of The Carlton's aims. Customers can enjoy delicious and healthy drinks knowing that every beverage consumed helps to support producers in developing countries. Diners with a sweet-tooth can also try Toni's locally-famous home-made cakes and various desserts - her Lemon Meringue is a particular favourite amongst customers! The Carlton Restaurant also caters for specialised dining so customers with food allergies and intolerances can also enjoy The Carlton's food without worrying - simply mention your requirements to the staff. The Carlton Restaurant is also a popular venue for groups. Large groups (10+) are welcome to exclusively book The Carlton Restaurant on Thursday, Friday or Saturday nights. With customers' choices and satisfaction in mind, Toni and Gaff can also custom-make menus. A large selection of wines, beers and cocktails are also available (either during the day or in the evening!).
Tywyn, United Kingdom
“Nice venue on the 1st floor and good food.”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I often go into Aberystwyth with the wife shopping and have something to eat and drink. Today needed to take the car in for a service at 8:15 so left the house with no breakfast. You must try the Carlton would recommend it. The staff very helpful I ordered my food and a drink and the young lady even brought me a paper to read, to read whilst I waited for my meal.

• Visited April 2014

Worksop, United Kingdom
“Restaurant for all occasions”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

During our weekend visit to Aberystwyth we visited the Carlton twice in the same day! Each was a very enjoyable experience. The coffees and homemade croissants were lovely and despite the restaurant being very busy arrived at the table promptly. The staff are all extremely pleasant.
We returned to the Carlton at 7 for dinner and were greeted by the lovely owners. The steaks were very tender and cooked to perfection and the other 2 members of the party enjoyed 1 of the vegetarian options and a chicken and chorizo dish. The atmosphere at night was very pleasant and the seats are extremely comfortable.
I would highly recommend the Carlton for all as it caters for a wide range of tastes, is very friendly and the food is all home-prepared and cooked to order.

• Visited March 2014
Aberystwyth
“Hiding its light”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Rather hidden away, and clearly hiding its light under a bushel, The Carlton turned out to be an excellent venue for a surprise birthday dinner. The ten of us enjoyed it immensely. The homemade food was delicious, the vegetarians were delighted to have several choices (sadly not easy to find in other Aber eateries offering only a 'vegetarian option') and all of the staff were helpful. This was the best night out in Aber I'd had for a long while and I for one will definitely be visiting there again, especially since I know I can sample a different veggie delicacy. Bravo!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Lem R
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Perfection!”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Staying in Aberystwyth over the weekend with my partner and whilst we were walking into town, we saw some lights above a Superdrug store and we saw the Carlton's menu displayed outside and we decided to go in. We were met by the owners, Toni and Gaff, who were both very friendly and welcoming and directed us to a table by the window near where another couple was having dinner. We started off with a Rustic Platter and we didn't just have 2 bread rolls each - we had several rolls each fresh from the oven with olives, dipping oil, balsamic vinegar and selection of meats! For mains, I had a beef lasagna and my partner had an aubergine, spinach and lentil Moroccan casserole - both of which were absolutely delicious! The Moroccan casserole even came served in a tagine dish. Even though my partner's meal came served with cous cous and pitta bread, Toni gave us extra chips that we didn't ask for which we thought was lovely! We had delicious desserts to finish (Raspberry Roulade for me and a Walnut, Apple and Toffee crumble for my partner) and we weren't at all surprised to learn that all the desserts were fresh and home-made by Toni!

Overall, it was a lovely meal in a very relaxed, clean and friendly atmosphere! The location is great and if you sit by the window, you can see across the town and have a nose!

We will definitely be making a visit again to the Carlton and would highly recommend it to everybody - local or not! Thank you Toni and Gaff for such a lovely meal - keep up the good work!!

• Visited January 2014
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Tucked away”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This lovely restaurant hidden upstairs could easily be bypassed as the entrance off the street is up a long flight of stairs. But well worth a visit as the food was good and sitting by the big windows was fun being able to overlook the street.

Visited October 2013