“Good afternoon out!”

Magic of Life Butterfly House
Ranked #14 of 35 things to do in Aberystwyth
More attraction details
Owner description: Walk among free-flying butterflies in a luxuriant tropical display. Hundreds of butterflies as well as giant caterpillars, beetles and leaf insects. Outside there is a well-established native butterfly garden. Free guided tours are available. Run by biologists.
Reviewed 15 September 2011

It was my Birthday, and I had no idea where i was going. But my spontanious and romantic other half knows very well I love butterflys. This place is very much in the middle of nowhere but the windy, hilly roads are just as much fun. Arriving at the Butterfly House, it does seem it needs some TLC the place is quite small and very tired and not to mention dusty. Actually imagine blowing dust off the items in the gift shop and you will get the jist, On paying the £7.50 entry fee, which i think is overpriced, you do enter a little slice of paradise. A wave of heat hits you along with the smell of ripe tropical plants and nectar, and there they were hundreds of beautiful butterflies, that wernt hard to spot literally fluttering around you. Landing on any place possible including my boyfriends bald head which i found very amusing. This is a great little morning or afternoon activity. I wouldnt go as far as a day out as we only spent an hour and a half there. But overall we had a good time!!

1  Thank Emma R
"rainy day"
in 8 reviews
"information centre"

Reviewed 24 April 2011

I visited the butterly house on my summer holiday trip as a friend recomended it to me, and I loved it! There are so many different types of wonderful butterflies there, such as my favouite the Blue Morpho. The house is a small green house type enclosure which is very humid(as expected to keep the natural climate for the butterflies!) and is expensive for what it is but everyone has a great time there, especially the kids. There is also a hydro electric power station right down the road which does offer tours of the station which is very interesting which also has a visitors centre right next door to the butterfly house, so you can do 2 activities in one place without a lot of travelling . If i decide to return to Aberystwyth again I would definitely go back there !

1  Thank holidayhunger
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I visited the Magic of Life with my wife and two 2-year-old children on 24th September 2010, we all enjoyed seeing the butteflies, and especially the grubs, cocoons and caterpillars the lady at the cash desk showed us before we went in.

The covered area is very small, we made two circuits and spent 20 minutes in there, but we did see a fairly wide variety of pretty butterflies. When we were there, there were only two other visitors, who also seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Like a lot of attractions, two-year-olds got in free, I think if we'd have had to pay for them as well, it would have been really too expensive for what you get, although according to their leaflet, they are a non-profit making organisation.

The welcome we got from the lady at the cash desk was very warm and her kindness was very much appreciated.

Reviewed 23 August 2010

Lots of beautiful butterflies that were really easy to spot, even with two children under five dashing around excitedly. However, at a cost of £17 (for two adults and just our older child) we really struggled to spend more than 20 minutes in the single, small greenhouse.

Compared to Wild Britain (near home - Wilden in Bedfordshire) where you can easily spend 3-4 hours and see a whole variety of creatures indoors and out, this was just far too expensive.

The miles out of the way location makes you think that as you've driven so far, you really don't want to disappoint the children and not go in!

Daughter loved it but we were very disappointed and wouldn't go again.

1  Thank colesplus3