“Disappointed”

Ranked #29 of 36 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Julian was a very welcoming host, and made us feel at home. The location is lovely - really close to the University, where we were dropping our daughter off. However parking was tricky and without Julian's help we might not have found the property. The big downside was that I thought we had booked a different room, and the white room we were in had such an uncomfortable mattress that I barely slept. You can also hear a lot of noise from the downstairs bedroom (& vice versa) - as separated by a window. I would happily come back again if I could sleep on a bed that you did not feel each metal spring through. I note that it was mentioned in a review a year ago that the mattresses could do with replacing - well this one definitely did now. We did have a long wait for the one shower, as the bathroom upstairs only has a bath, an over the bath shower would make a great improvement. Also - I'm not vain, but a mirror in the bathroom where you don't have to be over 6 ft to see in would be good - especially as there was no mirror in the bedroom.
The Cats were only ever seen out in the garden, so no trouble if you are wary of them.

Room Tip: The ground floor room has first bags on the shower & sauna - but you will be able to hear noises...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Cambridge
Reviewed 24 September 2011

The owner telephoned us before we left home to give us a new telephone number, in case we got lost trying to find his guesthouse in the dark. This was a nice touch. We did get lost, but eventually found it by ourselves.

I had booked a twin-bedded room at this guesthouse because of its proximity to Aberystwyth University where my grandson started as a fresher the next day, 23rd September. The room was sparsely, but adequately furnished for a one-night stay: a wardrobe between the beds which were pushed against the walls, and a table and chair near the partition wall with the adjoining bedroom. There was no covering on the squeaky floorboards, and through a generous gap in the floor the light fittings and light from the dining area below our room could be seen. The window above the head (no headboards) of one of the beds could only be operated by a very tall person or by one standing on the bed. An electric kettle, a tray with two cups, tea bags and instant coffee powder in a glass without a lid were provided, but no bedside lamp or a switch to turn off the light from one of the beds.There was a mirror above the radiator with towel rail.

Still, all this would not have been so bad had it not been for the beds. The mattresses were so old and worn out that I would be embarrassed to give them to charity. The beds were an odd pair: one appeared to have drawers underneath and the other one not. As I am in my 70s and a light and generally poor sleeper it was decided that I should have the marginally less unappealing bed. However, when my grandson sat down on the other one it made the most awful noises every time he moved a little. He suggested that I should take that bed after all, as I do not move much in the night whereas he does and the noisy bed would keep me awake. The mattress was so badly worn that the springs and the structure of the base could be felt through and dug into one. I folded the duvet over so that there were two layers of it for padding of the mattress, on which I lay, and I covered myself with my grandson's own duvet which we carried in the car for his time at university.

The occupants of all three rooms on our floor shared one bathroom which contained a wc, a very long bath, a smallish basin and a mirror that was fixed so high that I could only see the top of my head in it just above the blind part (I am 5'3"). The sounds from the bathroom, such as squeaky floorboards, water running, toilet flushing etc. carried through into our bedroom.

The owner cooked a delicious 3-course dinner (£20 per head), and the breakfast (included in the room price of £30 per head) was nicely presented. We did not have a cooked breakfast but the smell of fried or grilled bacon and sausages still clung to my pyjamas when I unpacked at home late the same day.

Julian, the owner, told us that his guesthouse had not been open for long and that he was intending to install a washbasin in each room. Perhaps he will also fill the gaps around the doorframes and holes in walls elsewhere and do something about the squeaking floorboards.

After leaving my grandson at the university I drove around to see what other guesthouses and B&B places were available. Approx. 5 miles from Aberystwyth, not far off the A44, I rang the doorbell of a very pleasant looking house that advertised B&B. The owner showed me the three bedrooms she has for lets. They were all beautifully appointed and very, very clean. The price quoted was £35 per room, not per person, including breakfast. I gave notice that I would book a room as soon as I knew the date of the end of my grandson's summer term 2012.

Room Tip: Perhaps the room with the glass ceiling recommended by Professorcouple that we did not get to see, b...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Oakham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We came over for my sons graduation and really had a great time. Julian, the host was most helpful and did his best to make sure everything was perfect. We loved the views over the green lush countryside. The sauna was amazing after a busy day. We really feel that The Shelley Guest House offers an amazing experience which one does not get in a hotel. The service was brilliant. We loved all the interesting books which were on offer. The breakfast was incredibly tasty and we really feel that the host uses the best possible ingredients which makes a change to many of the hotels I have stayed in whereby the sausages are of poor quality. I really hope this guest house does well. it deserves to! I am sure we will be back one day. If only we lived nearer!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank dave_oak2011
College Station, Texas
Reviewed 14 July 2011

My wife and I stayed two nights in late May in the room with the glass ceiling and had dinner both nights, courtesy of Chef Julian. The room was very open and airy and quite comfortable, with a private entrance to the shared shower, toilet and sauna room. It was a little rainy, but the sound of the rain on the glass above was relaxing. Other sounds (the walls are pretty thin) less so. Nonetheless we had an excellent sleep. If worried about other negative reviews concerning the cats, relax; Julian is very good about keeping them out of the way and they are rather lumpish. Overall Julian is an excellent host, keeping us informed about taxis and whatnot by texting and email, as well as being quite a good self-trained and creative cook. The dinner first courses (large fresh scallops one night, yum!) and desserts did not disappoint. We brought our own wine. With main courses of salmon in pastry the first night and lamb chops the second, both well-prepared, the food was a bargain. The English breakfasts were also very good. The rooms were very clean - we got to meet the Mrs. when we unexpectedly returned from walking to the University (about half a mile away, but the horse stables are right next door) and everyone was busy scrubbing floors. We were hosted at the Bellview for some other nights, but it was no more comfortable than the Shelley Guest House. It was actually easier to get to the University on foot from the Shelley Guest House than from the Bellview because you walk a little distance downhill instead of a considerable distance uphill. They were just switching over to a new internet provider when we were there, so can't comment on that.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Professorcouple
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2011

A warm, friendly welcome Julian. You made us feel very at home with our grandchildren in comfortable homely surroundings and your tumbling garden is wonderful. Your quiet country backwater only two minutes out of town is absolutely delightful. We enjoyed our locally sourced breakfast and your wonderful hospitality.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank DiddleysPatch
Nottingham, UK
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We were delighted to finally find an elegant and peaceful place to stay in Aberystwyth which represented real value for money. Julian and his wife made us so welcome and we really appreciated their enthusiasm and pride in their new venture. The house is a fascinating place to stay - packed with imaginative design ideas, good books and a beautiful wild garden. We stayed in their new Garden room with an ensuite bathroom and much to our surprise and delight even a sauna! We were glad we had brought our eye-patches as there are no blinds on the sloping roof but at night we could watch the stars from our bed. Breakfast was delicious - locally sourced products with delicious sausages and great coffee plus fresh fruit and yoghurt.. Although out of town it is perfectly sited if you have a child at the university Halls of Residence. We cant wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mgkb1
Swansea
Reviewed 14 May 2011

We stayed here whilst visiting my daughter at uni, which is located very close by. Julian (the owner) is such a warm and genuine person and immediately made us feel welcome. There was a kettle & coffee making facilities in the room, accompanied with a bone china tea set. Downstairs benefits from a cosy lounge with lots of books and dvds to choose from. We woke up to the smell of bacon wafting through the air and our mouths immediately began watering! The breakfast area is located in a conservatory type extension at the back of the house, which is light and airy. The breakfast consisted of fresh locally sourced produce and was perfect. Julian gave us the details of the butcher he uses and later that day we went there and bought a kilo of sausages. We have already booked with Julian to return in September. If you do stay here, be sure to visit the Black Lion pub just down the road, where you will be warmly welcomed and serves a terrific pint!

• Stayed May 2011