“Friendly and perfect for business use!”

Shelley Guest House
Ranked #27 of 36 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I stayed last week and found this guest house the perfect location to use as my office. There is free unlimited broadband and the house is set in a rural position 1 mile from Aberystwyth. I had to prepare for a business meeting and found the setting was perfect for my needs. The owner was happy to send fax's to me which was an added bonus. The stay really was very pleasent. Immaculate and very clean. Lots of books and a television in the bed room. As fas as I know only the family room has a television. I come to Aberystwyth on a monthly basis and am looking forward to staying again. Breakfast was excellent and the beds incredibly comfortable. See you soon.

Room Tip: Oooops no swimming pool, when I clicked this button it would not let me unclick. The family room has...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Bernie S

Reviewed 10 September 2012

The Good:
We stayed in the double room on the ground floor. The room is spacious and interestingly furnished. The room has a sloping glass roof over half its area and a glass wall that gives onto the garden. The room had easy access to a sauna, shower and loo. The breakfast of cereal and toast, tea and coffee was good quality and pleasant. The walls are full of art. The sitting room was full of books, music - including a piano. The garden had plenty of places for reading or loafing - it would be a great place for a group staying for several days!
I had chosen the place as we were on motor bikes and, perhaps wrongly, I was worried they might suffer on a Saturday night in town. So offroad parking was appreciated. Instead we took taxis into town (OW, with whom Julian had a £3.00 per trip deal- worth insisting on this with the driver - one asked for a fiver).
We enjoyed it - luckily we overcame our first impressions.
The Not-so-Good - all remediable.
The guest house is hard to find. The only sign is down on the ground outside. The exterior is so unappealing and ramshackle that we nearly turned round at that point. We never met the well-regarded Julian, but he must be a seven-footer - the few mirrors are still at Gargantuan heights - my GF had to stand on a chair... Echoing a comment in 2011, glasses for water by bed would be good. No bedside light. No light in sauna. The occupants in a room above separated by a window and a sheet were audible. No curtain in shared shower. No window or extractor in shared loo.

Room Tip: Double room on ground floor has garden view, and exceptionally airy feel (as long as you can sleep w...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2012

My wife and I have travelled all over the world in all sorts of accomodation and can say that if you are looking for a " Premier Inn " or a "Dorchester Hotel" then this is not for you. That said, if you are looking for a stay in a clean establishment with excellent food served by friendly people who work to make your stay enjoyable then have no fear about booking this establishment. We stayed five nights at the Shelley Guest House Ty Gwyn in Luest in the room with the " Glass ceiling". No problems at all. Yes you can see the sky but there are no overlooking view points so privacy is not an issue and an internal curtain closes off the world for those looking for a " Private moment". We took the room and the sauna as one unit.This is in the middle of the countryside in a cottage so I echoe other reviews when I say that it is quirky, so what!! The rooms are clean with everything that you need and if you want something else ask. At night you could be anywhere because it is so quiet and we live in the country so we know that it isn't always so with people and animals going about their business. Two mile out of Aberystwith so a good base to explore the area. The farm eggs are the best I've tasted and the most attractive, forget your " Supermarket contrived freerange eggs" no competition. Only point to watch for the man who won't ask for help is take a map or satnav to find it the first time or, better still,make sure your " Missus " can tell you where you went wrong. To sum up, Julian is a very likeable chap who clearly is working hard to build up a reputation, nothing is too much trouble. Money well spent

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AndrewLincolnshire
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My three year old daughter and I used the Shelley guest house as our base to explore mid-Wales from, and it was just perfect for us. Julian was a very welcoming host, serving the best sausages I have ever tasted. We were there over Easter weekend and on the morning of Easter Sunday there was a packet of mini-eggs in my daughter's seat at the breakfast time. Such an enormously kind and thoughtful gesture, and proof enough to both her and me that the Easter Bunny had realised we were on our holidays.

The room and location was just great, quiet and perfect for what I wanted - which was a quiet get away from a busy life. In the evenings I was able to get my daughter to bed and then enjoy the wealth of books Julian had in the sitting room. I cannot recommend highly enough, and we will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Emiliesdaddy
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Stayed at Ty Gwyn for a couple of nights and thoughouly enjoyed it. Situated just outside the town in a quiet seculded area the guest house offers peace and quiet, a very amiable landlord in Julian who could not have been more helpfull and friendly ( especially considering he was run off his feet as his wife was in the process of giving birth to their first child), good parking, spacious garden area, clean and tidy and a great breakfast. I guess some might call it a little quirky, but for myself this only added to the attraction of the place making my stay even that more relaxiing and enjoyable.

Nigel S

Room Tip: stayed in the downstairs room which was extremly peacefull and comfortable.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank nigel s
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We have stayed with Julian and Anna Maria on a few occasions whilst visiting our son at the Uni, we really enjoy the atmosphere and the care and attention that Julian gives to everyone, the house is in a quiet and secluded little area and feels welcoming, our son comes along in the morning to have breakfast with us and have a go in the sauna, not many places would be this accommodating and we would like to thank Julian for this extra time we can spend with our son.We have another year of Uni to get through so will be making a few more trips to Shelleys Guest House. H.Darke

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Giving Julian's guesthouse an 'Average' score seems like being mean to a good friend, as he is a truly lovely host. The welcome was 1st rate, complete with a pre-arrival text and good communications. He is so attentive and enthusiastic and gives this guesthouse a really personal touch which you often don't get anymore.

Many places have a bland atmosphere and bland staff, but this place isn't like that - there's a relaxed informal atmosphere, a nice lounge area with shelves of excellent books. Breakfast - simple but nice, using nice bread for toast etc The location is also very charming, in a little green hollow. It is peaceful and feels deeply rural, though it's really close to Aber, which is great.

So why average? Well there are a few shortcomings that ought to be addressed, principally the quality of a good night's sleep. The bed we had was thin and poorly sprung. Also in Room 3 where we were, there is only a window between the room and the next door lean-to flat on the floor below! The window was locked and there was a curtain on the other side, but we could hear every word distinctly! Also a few issues with cleanliness. Nothing major at all - it just needs a good scrub and attention to detail.

Enough moaning! We really do think the Shelley Guesthouse has enormous potential. Tweaking a few problems here and there would transform the place into an excellent, quirky and unique place to stay. Julian, we hope you think this review is fair and constructive, as we think you are a fantastic host. All the very best.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends