“Excellent Value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 36 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

I stayed here in January 2013 for a couple of nights, and was very impressed. We stayed in the family room, which was spacious and clean and an excellent price. I will definitely be staying here next time I'm am in Aberystwyth.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Chatham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

I stayed at the Maes y Mor for 2 nights in November. For starters, they helped me out of a fix because the place that I had already booked let me down by not being there to let me in (Llwnyygog Guest House- be ashamed!). Maes y Mor is comfortable, clean and very centrally located. Great value for money.Bathroom and kitchen are shared on the same floor, but this really was no problem at all and both were extremely clean. TV in room along with coffee/tea and kettle. Also ,fresh towels and soap.Loved the modern decor too.I would recommend Maes y Mor to anyone staying in Aberystwyth.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Lichfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

Visited Maes-Y-Mor for the second time in September 2012. We needed overnight accommodation for 10 girls in their late twenties and it was ideal. The first time we stayed I was really nervous because of the low price tag, but was very pleasantly surprised!

Rooms are clean and well furnished with a TV, fresh towels, soaps, a selection of hot drinks, a kettle and even biscuits! What more can you ask for at £25 a night?!

I'm really fussy about cleanliness and was dreading sharing a bathroom with strangers. However, I was impressed with how clean they were kept and the shared kitchen facilities were also immaculate on both occasions.

Perfect for a weekend in Aber with friends, but some of our group have stayed as couples and also recommend it for this type of break. Great location - the only reason it's classed as a hostel is the fact that not all rooms are ensuite and there is a shared kitchen facility.

Room Tip: need to request ensuite rooms
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
holistickate
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed at Maes-y-Mor for 4 nights in September, as my partner was doing a study school in Aberystwyth and I decided to accompany him with our two year old son. The location is really excellent, just around the corner from the seafront, next to the cinema, with lots of cafes and shops (and the railway station) within easy walking distance. It is about a mile or so to the university, up a big hill.

On the first night we stayed in a twin room upstairs with a shared bathroom, this was very comfortable and quiet. For the remaining nights the family room downstairs was free, so we moved down there as it had an ensuite shower and toilet and a sofa at the other end of the room (so we were able to sit and read after our toddler had gone to bed). Although the downstairs room was next to the laundrette and the main entrance, it was still perfectly quiet at night. I was really impressed when the lovely landlady moved all our bags downstairs for me while we were out during the day, it was hugely helpful as I am 8 months pregnant and on my own all day with our toddler so it could have been slow going!

Mereid was very friendly and welcoming, the weather got cooler while we were there and she was very solicitous asking if we needed more heaters etc. She gave us lots of info on things to do with children and directions. She wasn't on site all day but popped in several times and was always contactable on her mobile, so that was no problem. We had keys to the main door as well as our room so could come and go as we pleased. Also she was very flexible about letting us use the kitchen during the afternoon of our final day after we'd checked out. The kitchen is up on the first floor, it is very clean and well equipped, not huge but it seemed like most of the guests only used it for very basic stuff so we took it over slightly! There is an electric cooker and oven, biggish fridge/freezer, microwave, a kettle and lots of pots and pans. There is a little dining table and 4 chairs in there so you can sit and eat there too. We chatted to other guests and met some interesting people.

I would have to agree with the comment below about the air fresheners though - it was a bit much for me so we unplugged the ones in our room. The whole place is lovely and clean and smells pleasantly of the laundrette anyway so they aren't really needed. I found the beds a little bit on the soft side for me, but this is probably a matter of taste or may be related to my advanced pregnancy as my partner found them comfortable!

All in all, this place was a great bargain and a really safe-feeling, welcoming place to stay in the centre of town.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

This very clean place of residence combines the advantages of a conventional hotel and a hostel. The owner was very helpful and we met lots of interesting people from Europe and elsewhere. It is also sited in a central location near the beach, shops and other places of interest. Good laundry facilities were another strong plus. However, asthma sufferers would be advised to notify the owner of the fact as the air freshener in our room nearly brought on an attack.

Overall very good value for money. Even as a Yorkshire man I couldn't grumble at the cost. Excellent for the price.

Room Tip: If you're a married couple the downstairs room would be best.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

I was a bit wary at first when I booked what was described as hostel type accomodation - I needn't have been - The room was everything I would have expected of a Guest House, clean, comfortable, with tv and tea/coffee facilities. The bathroom was shared with 3 other rooms but that did not seem to be an issue. The accomodation is room only, but there is a well equipped kitchen for those who wish to prepare their own food, otherwise there are plenty of restaraunts and takeaways within easy reach. The beach is 2 mins walk away. There is a car park for those who arrive by car or bike or the bus and train station is less than a 10 minute walk away. There is also a launderette downstairs if you require clean clothes. At £29 for a single room I thoroughly reccomend staying here to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

I used to live in Aber and picked this place to stay for a friend's wedding as I new the location well: a perfect stone's through from the promenade really, but for a fraction of the price that the pretty average hotels on the seafront actually charge. Can't fault the price at all. Maes-Y-Mor is very clean and very practical, beds were very comfortable, amenities are perfectly fine, including free WIFI and parking. Still, you get what you pay for, don't expect a 4-star hotel! Would stay again as is very convenient.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends