“A bit of a shame”

Dining options: Reservations
Solihull, United Kingdom
“A bit of a shame”
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I have eaten at Wasabi before, and I am sorry to say this most recent experience was a lot worse than previous.

The service was different, with the waitress more interested in myself and my partner "checking in" ... a bit of a strange one ... than taking our order correctly.

The starters were fantastic. The portions were just the right size and absolutely delicious! The Sake was just the right temperature, although the waitress did have a little difficulty understanding the difference between asaki (beer) and Sake...

The mains were disappointing. I had the seafood ramen and my partner the teriyaki duck. What a letdown. my portion arrived and all I can say is the stock that made up the soup was very nice but it felt like I was eating super noodles with some fish ... then there was the fish itself the prawns and scallops were tasteless the squid excessively chewy and without flavour although the muscles were enjoyable. The duck was equally as disappointing, arriving in a bowl that was far too large for the serving. The amount of rice was ridiculous and swamped the six pieces of duck.

Overall the service was good, the starters fantastic the mains a letdown. When I visit again I think I won’t make the mistake of ordering a main course, rather a spread of starters to sample the delights.

• Visited September 2012

Aberystwyth
“Washabi”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

The food looked lovely as it came out but there was only one poor waitress serving a nearly full restaurant so we left because the wait to be served was much too long. A very nice and extensive menu reasonably priced, apart from the beer which was exhorbitant. Worth another try when threre are less customers/more staff on duty.

• Visited August 2012
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
“great sushi”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I absolutely adore sushi, and am a regular visitor to wasabi in aberystwyth. i just wish that they would offer some more adventurous sushi and sashimi dishes and they always seem to be out of tuna and eel whenever i go there.
the food however is very good and very well presented i thouroughly enjoy visiting this restaurant and their buffet menu on a Sunday was brilliant please bring it back!

Visited June 2012
Goychay, Azerbaijan
“Great variety, great taste.”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Excellent Japanese Restaurant offering both sushi and sashimi as well as ramen/udon meals. Reasonably priced and also serves warm sake! Very extensive menu and I always eat here at least once whenever I'm in Aberystwyth. The staff are always very welcoming and the ambience/cleanliness level is very high. The only negative is that they don't take credit card which is a bit of a shame but there is an ATM nearby.

• Visited August 2012
Coalville, United Kingdom
“Amazing, proper Japanese food.”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I'm a big fan of trying new things, but sushi was not top of my list. However, wasabi surprised me with their vast choice of japanese dishes, with only a fraction being sushi. The choices included noodles, soups, rice dishes, bento boxes, sushi, curried dishes etc. There really was something for everyone. The portions are more than big enough, with huge noodle soup dishes, which I highly recommend! If noodles or rice isn't your thing, there's a vast list of starter dishes including tempura vegetable or prawns, which you can even order several of and pick at all of them instead of a main meal. All of the dishes come out at different times p, but this is due to it all coming out straight from the wok hot and fresh! I think this resaurant is excellent and it really opened my eyes to asian food, I would recommend it to family's, couples and groups of friends. They even do take away....which seemed to be very popular with the local students!

• Visited March 2012