“The worst Japanese food I ever had in my whole life!”
Review of Wasabi - CLOSED

Wasabi
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I love Japanese food, and I live in Bangkok which is dwelled in Japanese restaurants, and most of them are at least edible to outstanding. So, when I study in Aberystwyth I tried this only Japanese food establishment in town, and what I had cannot really be called food, even an empty stomach would find such a difficulty to tolerate its taste and continue to consume it.

The Uni sushi that I ordered is edge of rotten, and almost every kind of sushi that I ordered are inedible, large amount of rice which not really well-calculated on the amount of vinegar, and a paper thin; small; crude cutting piece of fish.

Other kind of food is also worthless to let it go through your throat and extremely overpriced. The Sunday buffet is also suck and expensive. Most of the food are the "refrozen'" fronzed foods, from Iceland - perhaps.

Actually the rating of 1 star is still far too much for this restaurant, sadly it cannot be rated any less.

If you are a Japanese food fan, don't ever set your foot in to this "restaurant" (in quatation mark because using the word "restaurant" for this place is quite an insultance).

1  Thank kritdikorn

Reviewed 1 October 2012

I went to the buffet at Wasabi last night. I'd been wanting to try it for ages but it involved a 46 mile return journey. Having read the reviews I was quite excited that I was going.
Couldn't believe the paltry offerings of a few sushi, lifeless salad and very little else.
I can understand some local citizens being enthusiastic if they've never tried it before. But I feel it's at the bottom end of the spectrum as far as Japanese food is concerned.
Admittedly, I haven't been for a meal there, and most of the reviews haven't been about the buffet. So maybe I'll give the place another chance and go for a meal. The only good thing about the whole experience was the plum wine. Delicious.

Reviewed 8 September 2012

I have eaten at Wasabi before, and I am sorry to say this most recent experience was a lot worse than previous.

The service was different, with the waitress more interested in myself and my partner "checking in" ... a bit of a strange one ... than taking our order correctly.

The starters were fantastic. The portions were just the right size and absolutely delicious! The Sake was just the right temperature, although the waitress did have a little difficulty understanding the difference between asaki (beer) and Sake...

The mains were disappointing. I had the seafood ramen and my partner the teriyaki duck. What a letdown. my portion arrived and all I can say is the stock that made up the soup was very nice but it felt like I was eating super noodles with some fish ... then there was the fish itself the prawns and scallops were tasteless the squid excessively chewy and without flavour although the muscles were enjoyable. The duck was equally as disappointing, arriving in a bowl that was far too large for the serving. The amount of rice was ridiculous and swamped the six pieces of duck.

Overall the service was good, the starters fantastic the mains a letdown. When I visit again I think I won’t make the mistake of ordering a main course, rather a spread of starters to sample the delights.

Reviewed 25 August 2012

The food looked lovely as it came out but there was only one poor waitress serving a nearly full restaurant so we left because the wait to be served was much too long. A very nice and extensive menu reasonably priced, apart from the beer which was exhorbitant. Worth another try when threre are less customers/more staff on duty.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

I absolutely adore sushi, and am a regular visitor to wasabi in aberystwyth. i just wish that they would offer some more adventurous sushi and sashimi dishes and they always seem to be out of tuna and eel whenever i go there.
the food however is very good and very well presented i thouroughly enjoy visiting this restaurant and their buffet menu on a Sunday was brilliant please bring it back!