“Good for Aberystwyth, not great for sushi”
Review of Wasabi - CLOSED

Wasabi
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I do visit Wasabi when I have the spare cash, and it is good, but as a sushi addict, I have to say that it is not amazing. I suspect that they are not cooking the rice in the right way, because the sushi is often soggy, making the seaweed chewy as opposed to crispy. There is no excuse for not having great fish when you live on the coast, but for some reason, their supplies aren't great. They are often out of basic fish, like salmon and tuna, but won't substitute the more expensive fish when you get a bento or a set. I have found myself ordering a sushi set, only to have it come out as only salmon or only tuna when I originally wanted a selection.
The staff are nice enough, but not terribly efficient. It takes a while to catch their eyes, and for some reason it takes them more than ten minutes to get drinks, even if you are the only ones in the restaurant. Speaking of drinks, they pour carbonated drinks out from big bottles, meaning that if you are the first person to get a drink that night, it is usually flat since they get it out from the night before.
They don't accept cards for payment. It's 2013 and you can't use your card. I'm not sure what the reason for this is, but it is inconvenient.
The thing is, it is good food for Aberystwyth. The quality is above what I usually have in town at other places. But for Japanese food, I'd give it 2 stars at most. The only reason I gave it 3 is because it is fairly inexpensive for sushi, but it is expensive for Aberystwyth.

1  Thank Cassia T

Reviewed 13 January 2013

We had eaten at Wasabi on a previous trip and it was excellent. Went back this time around and the service was a bit slow, they were out of a few key ingredients (tuna and eel) and our warm saki was served cold first time around. Putting this all to lack of staff and product and would still go back ... however, not a great night all in all.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

We went for the buffet in early December and I wasn't expecting much, my friend who is Japanese (and her mother makes the BEST SUSHI EVER) had been here in the summer and said how disappointed she was but we went anyway and I was pleasantly surprised! My friend also said that they had improved loads since the summer and that she would come back too! I then went for a takeaway sushi box which was reasonably priced but a little limited - although I did hear the chef telling the waitress to apologise to everyone a lot because they're food deliver hadn't arrived that day as it was meant to - so I couldn't really blame them for that! I can imagine service on a "normal" meal night being a little slow though but overall it's priced correctly and the food is currently up to standard in my opinion and I'm glad to have Wasabi in Aber!

Reviewed 21 December 2012

I have been going to wasabi for a while now and at first it was great lovely food nice service and a great time. Then it closed for a few months and I was distraught without my sushi but it did eventually reopen and the first time we went back it was awful terrible service and bad food but we persevered and went back again tonight and I have to say it was fabulous! There was a new chef and he was fab took our order(waitress was a little late) and there was no tuna but he offered us a special something he was creating a deep fried sushi salmon roll and it was fabulous!!! All in all yes there are a lot of bad reviews about this place but it has got so much better and you should really try this place it really is very very good.

Reviewed 29 November 2012

I have been here a few times and the service had been terrible. We were left wating for ages to be served, in the meantime takeaway customers were arriving, ordering, being served and leaving. They dont look after seated paying customers well at all. They also never bring all the starters out at the same time. I have learned my lesson and will avoid from now on.