“Great fresh food”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Great fresh food”
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

Lovely fresh food, clean tasty. Thoroughly enjoyed the evening there ! Will most definitely return for some more delicious sushi.

• Visited August 2013

Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Great for a different experience”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I love everything about Japan, including the food, so I was really excited to go here with my friends for a birthday meal. Service was quick and the staff were very polite and the fact that they gave you chopsticks to eat with as opposed to a knife and fork made it more authentic. The food was presented wonderfully, which I was not surprised by as I expected this from a Japanese restaurant. The fried udon noodles were really tasty and the free spring rolls we got were great too, but I was slightly disappointed by the sushi as the rice was a bit rubbery and I felt like there were too many flavours on the plate with the wasabi paste, pickled ginger and soy sauce accompaniments, although this might be a personal preference. By the way, sake is an acquired taste, as me and my friend learnt the hard way! Wouldn't say it does Japanese cuisine justice, but a good place to try for a different experience and completely unique from anything else in Aberystwyth.

• Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Good for Aberystwyth, not great for sushi”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I do visit Wasabi when I have the spare cash, and it is good, but as a sushi addict, I have to say that it is not amazing. I suspect that they are not cooking the rice in the right way, because the sushi is often soggy, making the seaweed chewy as opposed to crispy. There is no excuse for not having great fish when you live on the coast, but for some reason, their supplies aren't great. They are often out of basic fish, like salmon and tuna, but won't substitute the more expensive fish when you get a bento or a set. I have found myself ordering a sushi set, only to have it come out as only salmon or only tuna when I originally wanted a selection.
The staff are nice enough, but not terribly efficient. It takes a while to catch their eyes, and for some reason it takes them more than ten minutes to get drinks, even if you are the only ones in the restaurant. Speaking of drinks, they pour carbonated drinks out from big bottles, meaning that if you are the first person to get a drink that night, it is usually flat since they get it out from the night before.
They don't accept cards for payment. It's 2013 and you can't use your card. I'm not sure what the reason for this is, but it is inconvenient.
The thing is, it is good food for Aberystwyth. The quality is above what I usually have in town at other places. But for Japanese food, I'd give it 2 stars at most. The only reason I gave it 3 is because it is fairly inexpensive for sushi, but it is expensive for Aberystwyth.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Cassia T
Haarlem, The Netherlands
“Off night ...”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We had eaten at Wasabi on a previous trip and it was excellent. Went back this time around and the service was a bit slow, they were out of a few key ingredients (tuna and eel) and our warm saki was served cold first time around. Putting this all to lack of staff and product and would still go back ... however, not a great night all in all.

Visited January 2013
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Buffet/takeaway”
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We went for the buffet in early December and I wasn't expecting much, my friend who is Japanese (and her mother makes the BEST SUSHI EVER) had been here in the summer and said how disappointed she was but we went anyway and I was pleasantly surprised! My friend also said that they had improved loads since the summer and that she would come back too! I then went for a takeaway sushi box which was reasonably priced but a little limited - although I did hear the chef telling the waitress to apologise to everyone a lot because they're food deliver hadn't arrived that day as it was meant to - so I couldn't really blame them for that! I can imagine service on a "normal" meal night being a little slow though but overall it's priced correctly and the food is currently up to standard in my opinion and I'm glad to have Wasabi in Aber!

• Visited December 2012