“Something a little different”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Wasabi - CLOSED

Wasabi
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Something a little different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Not usually the kind of food that I go for, but a really enjoyable meal - great for a relaxed meal with friends

Visited December 2013
1 Thank cw8667

Carmarthen
“What a great find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

My son and I wanted something nice to eat in Aber and we found Wasabi. I haven't had Japanese cuisine since i left London in 99. Everything was perfect, beautifully presented and soooo tasty. Maybe chef will teach me a few tricks to take back to my restaurant :-)

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Marc_Conpassionata
“Great fresh food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

Lovely fresh food, clean tasty. Thoroughly enjoyed the evening there ! Will most definitely return for some more delicious sushi.

• Visited August 2013
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Great for a different experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

I love everything about Japan, including the food, so I was really excited to go here with my friends for a birthday meal. Service was quick and the staff were very polite and the fact that they gave you chopsticks to eat with as opposed to a knife and fork made it more authentic. The food was presented wonderfully, which I was not surprised by as I expected this from a Japanese restaurant. The fried udon noodles were really tasty and the free spring rolls we got were great too, but I was slightly disappointed by the sushi as the rice was a bit rubbery and I felt like there were too many flavours on the plate with the wasabi paste, pickled ginger and soy sauce accompaniments, although this might be a personal preference. By the way, sake is an acquired taste, as me and my friend learnt the hard way! Wouldn't say it does Japanese cuisine justice, but a good place to try for a different experience and completely unique from anything else in Aberystwyth.

• Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Good for Aberystwyth, not great for sushi”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

I do visit Wasabi when I have the spare cash, and it is good, but as a sushi addict, I have to say that it is not amazing. I suspect that they are not cooking the rice in the right way, because the sushi is often soggy, making the seaweed chewy as opposed to crispy. There is no excuse for not having great fish when you live on the coast, but for some reason, their supplies aren't great. They are often out of basic fish, like salmon and tuna, but won't substitute the more expensive fish when you get a bento or a set. I have found myself ordering a sushi set, only to have it come out as only salmon or only tuna when I originally wanted a selection.
The staff are nice enough, but not terribly efficient. It takes a while to catch their eyes, and for some reason it takes them more than ten minutes to get drinks, even if you are the only ones in the restaurant. Speaking of drinks, they pour carbonated drinks out from big bottles, meaning that if you are the first person to get a drink that night, it is usually flat since they get it out from the night before.
They don't accept cards for payment. It's 2013 and you can't use your card. I'm not sure what the reason for this is, but it is inconvenient.
The thing is, it is good food for Aberystwyth. The quality is above what I usually have in town at other places. But for Japanese food, I'd give it 2 stars at most. The only reason I gave it 3 is because it is fairly inexpensive for sushi, but it is expensive for Aberystwyth.

• Visited November 2012