Clarach Bay Holiday Village
US$132
US$151
PremierInn.com
  • Beachfront
All reviewschip shopburger barbronze caravanice cream parlourrock poolsprivate chaletswimming poolkids entertainmentsmall arcadeout of seasonnew developmentfamily parkgreat holidayeaster weekendschool holidayscoastal pathfunicular railway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We booked a chalet through a different website, a friend had been on the site and recommended it.
We had a great time, the reception staff were really helpful, we did not use the club, but hear it is great fun. My grandson had a fab time, access to the beach and the other facilities on the camp were really geared to families...we will be returning

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank davidsgranny
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My family has had a caravan here for 18 years and other family members have been regular visitors but this was the first visit for me. We were in caravan H20 not far from "nanna Dot" (who everyone seems to know!) and in a good location not far from the clubhouse. The entertainment in the clubhouse is good and everyone was very friendly. My daughter's car had a flat battery whilst we were there and before the RAC was called there were plenty of people willing to offer assistance. There is an indoor pool onsite but all children must be accompanied by an adult. (not a bad thing!) There are food outlets but I didn't get a chance to visit in the two and a half days I stayed. (I did have a nice carton of chips for £1.80 in the clubhouse.) The bar prices are as expected, reasonable enough, with a discount for house doubles. There is bingo in the evening as well as a different show every night. The beach is a pebble beach but I enjoyed there as I did on the site itself. I hope to become a regular visitor but it is a two and a half hour drive each way for me. Nearby Aberystwyth is lovely and New Quay and Aberaeron are worth a visit.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Annwyn49
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed 1st week of June 2013 - we got a fab deal on a Gold+ Caravan near the clubhouse.
The caravan was large and well kept and modern with lovely sea views (sunsets are beautiful) We did have a slight problem with the shower - but this was fixed with no fuss at all. John from the Clubhouse was BRILLIANT at helping us out (as it was out of hours) and really did go the extra mile for us.

Pool was spotless (so were the changing rooms) - the kids (4 year old twins) absolutely loved it. Really warm water too. The only issue was the limited opening hours which seemed a shame.

Club - we only used this for Kids Club. Jem Brent was covering kids club one night and he was ABSOLUTELY brilliant. He really got to know the children by name and kept their attention well.
At the weekend it was far busier and in all honesty it was a squeeze for all the children in the small room.....along with not enough seats for the parents and people trying to bag a good space for Bingo later. We also had Barry and Shaun for kids club.....they really were not a patch on Jem. Shaun was not really in control of the kids and it was chaos (being brutally honest) and all Barry wanted to really do was sing rather than play games with the kids (I think this was because it was rammed full in the room) and our kids and many of the others got bored very quickly.

Beach was lovely and clean too. :-)

The funfair/arcade was quite rundown. My kids did go on a few rides - and it's not that expensive. (50p/£1 ride)

We were really lucky because it was a really warm & sunny week - we went out every day to the local beaches : Borth, Ynyslas & Aberystwyth as well as the beach at Clarach itself.
We also went to the local carboot on Sunday which is in a field near the entrance of the park.

All in all - a lovely family break on a clean and friendly park.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We have used this site, our personal favourite for the past 2 years and thankfully its not changed much over these years ! Myself and my brother had a fantastic stay . we found the reception staff to be very accommodating and very helpful and understanding . The caravan was lovely it was cleaned to a high standard . The on site facilities are fantastic there is a mini supermarket , swimming Poole, club house, laundrette, fish and chip shop which serves top quality fish and chips there is also an arcade. Clarach bay is a top quality holiday village and is very highley recomended Iwould recommend their service to anybody :) Thank you for our recent stay see you in october 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Glesni H
Reviewed 18 June 2013

My family stayed here for the second week of the Easter holidays. We had previously been to Brynowen for the past 4 years. Last year the standards had dropped so low we said we'd have a change.
To start on arrival at the site it was very clean and well looked after. The caravan also met the same standards and we was happy. We ventured out to look round the site to find everything closed apart from the shop. We had been told the people who run the arcade and fair had gone home for the week as it was quiet. To be fair the bar and pool was only closed due to staff illness. It was annoying though after a 3 hour drive i had to drive again to find somewhere to have tea. We went to the entertainment that night and the main kids entertainer was off but his stage partner took over. He was actually better with the kids than the main one which we so later in the week. We got awoken the next day with building work going on next to our van. We tried the pool and found it quite cold. The best thing we found with Clarach was having the leisure centre on the neighbouring site. The bar staff made us feel very welcome and that night we went to the entertainment over there and the kids loved it. The kids entertainment was brilliant and really got the room going . They also had some really talented singers which everyone loved. After being woken early again by builders wed had rather enough. The manager was very friendly and helpful and moved us to another van plus upgraded it and also refunded us partly to cover the costs of using the facilities at the leisure centre. Apart from to sleep we stayed over at the neighbouring park for most of the week. We went to see Barry with the kids and found it really dated and the kids lost interest. We had an early night and only stayed for an hour. Our children got moaned at for running round and being loud . The kids entertainment was starting so what did people expect.The bar staff did not seem to care or have customer facing skills . The arcade was also dated and some machines not working. I would have no hesitation in booking again for the neighbouring park and do intend to in the future. Clarach bay is a very clean nice place but really out dated in all aspects. The manager was great and really thankful to her. If it was just me and the wife i may consider coming back but not with my kids as well. I spoke to others who had switched to the neighbouring park and said what a great park Clarach once was as they'd be visiting for over 30 years. I got the feeling of a very stubborn site owner who thinks he is right and doesnt listen to what people want.

Room Tip: Try to get a van nearer the club house as you could have quite a walk if you like the nightly entertainment
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Gaz R
Thomas S, Owner at Clarach Bay Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Hello Gaz, I am the ‘very stubborn site owner who thinks he is right and doesn’t listen to what people want’, or most people just call me Thomas! My family have owned the park since 1983 and during this time we have always listened to our customers, which is why we are still in business.

I’m sorry to hear that you experienced issues during your stay. Historically, the second week of the Easter holidays has always been quiet for us, plus from memory, the weather this year wasn’t too good either. However, despite the weather and general quietness of the park, the arcade and fair was open on a daily basis between 11am and 4pm. Sometimes, if the weather is really bad the fair is unable to open for safety reasons.

The noise from the building work is unacceptable and I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this caused you. The work being carried out was to repair a wall that had been damaged by a vehicle. We always try to carry out work of this nature during quieter times to avoid disturbing guests. When you made us aware of the issue we upgraded you to a different caravan.

With reference to the children’s entertainment I can honestly say this is the first negative comment that we have ever received in relation to Barry. In fact, if you read some of the previous reviews on here you will see that Barry is one of the main reasons that people return to us year after year.
Whilst we want everyone that uses our club and entertainment facilities to enjoy themselves and have a good time, we do have to draw a line when by your own admission children are ‘running around and being loud’. If the ‘running around and being loud’ is taking place during children's time, then fair enough. However, if children are running around the room and being loud outside of children’s time we will politely ask their parent(s)/guardian(s) to intervene.
As I am sure you will appreciate, there are many different types of guests that use the park facilities; ranging from families with children to elderly couples looking for a relaxing break. With this is mind, we have to ensure that club is suitable for all guests and manage it accordingly. This is done in a very gentle, discreet and professional manner. I do not accept that your children were ‘moaned’ at nor do I accept that our bar staff do not care and lack customer facing skills.

I’m sorry that we did not fully meet your expectations . If you decide to holiday in this area again, we would happily welcome you back at anytime. Thank you for your custom and all the best for the future.