Clarach Bay Holiday Village
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Aberystwyth
See available hotels
Harry's Hotel(Aberystwyth)
Gwesty Cymru(Aberystwyth)
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
All reviewschip shopburger barbronze caravanice cream parlourrock poolsprivate chaletswimming poolkids entertainmentsmall arcadeout of seasonnew developmentfamily parkgreat holidayeaster weekendschool holidayscoastal pathfunicular railway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed here in May last year on half term. The caravan was meant to be silver. What a joke! It was awful, It was dirty, smelly and noisy. The window sills had perished which made the caravan very cold at night, and the mattresses were very uncomfortable to sleep on (very lumpy). On arrival the receptionist seemed friendly and helpful but when we arrived at our Caravan one of the beds was missing, when I phoned up the receptionist he told me that I had requested the removal of the bed for a cot. My children are 4 and 7. I did not. He sounded most put out when I asked for the bed to be put back up. ( like it was my fault). An odd Job man was sent around in a blue truck he stunk of stale alcohol and went on a big yarn of how badly the park was run between the staff and management. I didn't need to hear this as we were on family holiday.
The club house is very dated, security on the door were most unfriendly! I ordered a beer and the beer was not topped up the the line. I said to the old chap behind the bar can you top it up he said no these are measured pints. Thanks a lot when I order a pint of beer and only get 2/3 and pay for a full pint I feel ripped off and it was not the only time it happened. Entertainment was like a step back from the 1970's. Do yourself a favour and book in the site next door.

Room Tip: Don't choose caravan GM63.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Burnie2013
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I have just come across clarach on this site and seen a few people saying how bad it is and I would just like to say how nice & friendly this place is.

I have been going to clarach bay for the last 23 years with my family who have been going longer, we only found out about the place as a family member plays there in the entertainment and we have never had any problems apart from the odd things braking or going on us but when we've reported the problems someone's always come right away and fixed it.

I recently went in July 2013 for a family & friends get away and we took our friends & my nieces who have never been the place before and they loved it. It was just before the summer holidays so some of the things on the site wasn't open but we went to the fair one day and they let my niece play on the slide for longer then she should of as she kept crying and didn't want to come off.

The staff are always friendly and welcoming, they have never been rude towards me or my family and we couldn't say a bad word about them. For the people who have been and written negative feedback for this site about some of the staff then maybe you should remember the staff work in the day as well as the night and probably tired by the time 9pm comes, the bingo women is so lovely and we alway play bingo and to be honest that's one of our highlights when we are there!
like I say the staff are always friendly and I have never witness a problem with holiday makers & the staff as they always go out there way to make it an enjoyable holiday for people to remember.

The entertainment has never failed to make me and my family laugh even after all these years and yes still at the age of 23 we still find the same things funny. I would definitely recommend clarach bay to anyone who wants a nice week away with good entertainment and laughter.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank C D
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have been to lots of holiday sites all over with children , never been to such a place ! The management are ridiculous ! Door men on the arcade of which most machines don't work ! All visitor are made to feel on edge !
It's very old fashioned , the pool isn't big enough to swim and very cold !!
Staff are very rude ! Think it's because they all on edge the atmosphere is awful !
Location is great for abber but I would seriously consider other sites if u want to feel like u on holiday !!
entertainment is poor it is like a seen from phenix nights !!!
I would never use this site again nothings open or works it was halt term for children too .
Total waste if time and money.
Really which I had use one opp Facilities were million times better !

• Stayed: October 2013
6  Thank Emm96
Thomas S, Owner at Clarach Bay Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

I’m very sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant stay with us.

If you could kindly send me an email to info@clarachbay.com and provide specific details about your experience I will personally respond.

We are only able to resolve issues that we are made aware of and to the best of my knowledge we did not receive any complaints during the half term week.

I appreciate that you have stated you will never return again but if we did do something wrong at least give us the opportunity to try and put things right.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

My wife and I have had a fantastic week at Clarach... even though the weather wasn't very nice.. we had a 3 bed siiver caravan just for the 2 of us... which was very clean and tidy ... and the bed the most comfortable we have ever had in a caravan...did have an issue with the shower which was either too hot or too cold but not enough to make an issue of it.... My main bugbear was the entertainment.... we went the first evening but there was too much emphasis on the regulars(owners} by the artistes and we felt left on the fringe... and the bingo was a farce... only one game per cards out of 3 and it was held too late 10pm... We did not return to the clubhouse for the rest of the week... However we did thoroughly enjoy our stay and we definitely will return, perhaps when it is a bit warmer. There is a lot to do in the close proximity of the park.. as Aberystwyth is only a 5 minute drive away... and we loved the animalarium(zoo) at Borth

Room Tip: My tip is to take the road in Bow Street to get to the site... its not as traumatic as the one via the Crematorium
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yourapal
Reviewed 24 August 2013

My husband, myself and our four children have just returned from a weeks holiday in Clarach Bay.

To begin with, the positives, the site itself is set in wonderful surroundings, it's lush, green and has it's own lovely little beach front which is safe for children. The beach front also has a nice cafe which serves a good breakfast and tasty fish and chips. The fun fair is small but keeps the children happy and was also reasonably priced (though playing Showaddywaddy in the background is a little dated - perhaps more up to date music for the children would be an idea). The entertainment staff work exceptionally hard and put their heart and soul into entertaining you. Barry Wayne is wonderful with the children and keeps them enthralled for a good hour and a half which in no mean feat day in and day out! The bar staff are unfailingly polite and the club is well kept, clean, tidy and has good facilities.

To the negatives, on arrival, I found our caravan (193) to be less than what I'd expected from a Silver standard. It seemed more like a bronze to me. It wasn't as clean as I'd hoped it would be, the bed linen was mismatched for the double with not enough pillow cases for the pillows underneath. Our shower head was also hanging off as there was no hook to attach it to. Admittedly when this was reported to reception a member of staff came over very quickly to fix the problem, however, I cannot help thinking that if the shower had been cleaned properly this defect would have been noticed and sorted prior to our arrival. Our caravan was on a pitch with no outdoor seating area and no grass beside it, we had a gravel surface which was not entirely suited to either outdoor eating or children playing safely beside your caravan. On our first night we were subjected to a great deal of noise from the visiting performance act which continued up to midnight and then again with people filing past on their way back to their caravans. Noise continued nightly (with the exception of the magician evening which was quieter). We became accustomed to the noise by the end of our stay but still, this had a negative impact on our holiday.

You may wonder if we reported this to reception, we did not, mainly because I had already unpacked two large suitcases, one small one and numerous paraphernalia associated with four children and we literally couldn't bear the thought of being moved to another caravan (should one have been available) which, let's face it, is all that could have been offered.

We had been looking forward to this holiday immensely and we really did feel very deflated by the circumstance. This was our first holiday here, it was recommended to us by family members who holiday here every year (sometimes twice) and I cannot for the life of me understand why we, a family with four children, were placed where we were. Incidently, our relatives were in a bronze plus and their caravan was so much nicer than our silver, it had decking, grass beside it and was located in a far better place on the park. They paid £100 or so less than we did too which actually makes me feel quite sick.

To a few members of staff, the lady selling bingo tickets, the more mature lady manning the childrens sweets and the lady at the outside funfair ice cream stall, we realise you do it day in and day out but please, it would be nice if you smiled occassionally or were just at least polite. The lady selling the bingo tickets practically threw them at you and I wasn't the only one to comment on this either.

The amusement arcade was quite run down, some of the machines were not working and those that did sometimes kept your money or got jammed. I wouldn't recommend it for your children.

All in all, I would not stay at Clarach Bay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Jennifer M
Thomas S, Owner at Clarach Bay Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

After reading through the negative comments in your review I find it extraordinary that you did not bring your complaints to our attention during your stay. If the accommodation issue that you have described above left you feeling ‘quite sick’, the amusement arcade was run down and some of the machines were not working and those that did kept your money or got jammed, then surely you should have gone to the reception and requested to speak to a senior member of the team.

Yes, the park is busy and noise levels do increase during the summer holidays but that can be expected on any holiday park at this time of year. Two of the three members of staff (the lady selling the bingo tickets and the lady in the kiosk on the seafront) are Directors of the company and have always led by example. Again, why did you refrain from reporting this to us during your stay?

My advice to guests has always been to report issues during their stay rather than waiting until you return home and venting your frustration online. I understand and accept that you are entitled to your opinion and like millions of other people I also use Trip Advisor to research places that I plan on visiting. However, I think that it very unfair when a review has been posted which raises issues that were not brought to the attention of the business owner/ manager at the time of the stay. At least give us a chance to put things right.