“Don't stop the car, find somewhere else to eat. Don't look back.”
Review of Rhyd-Y-Pennau Inn

Rhyd-Y-Pennau Inn
Ranked #75 of 156 Restaurants in Aberystwyth
Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Unless you like overspending on under quality food and service, I suggest that you drive straight past this place. My parents decided to bring me here as a bit of a treat as I don't get to see them very often, we chose the Rhydypennau in because they'd never eaten there before and thought they would give it a go. We will never eat there again.

For starters (whey!) the girl who served us was quite possibly one of the most miserable waitresses i've ever encountered. It may have had something to do with the mistake she had made applying her fake tan that day - but of that I cant be sure. She told us to 'sit where you want', and when we did she insisted that she brush up around as we sat waiting for her to take our drinks order. 'What can I get you?' was the question she asked, none of this 'how are you today?' or 'would you like a starter?' malarky that nice restaurants like to have. I dunno, maybe that's the 'edge' that sets the restaurant apart from the other local ones.

We went for the steak. Sirloin at £15 was pricey, but we figured it to be a bit of a treat. Big mistake. 9 thin cut chips, half a tomato, a dessert spoon of peas and some sloppy mushrooms on the side - the steak however was actually quite nice. At this point i began to enjoy the restaurents 'edge', eating steak without a steak knife was challenging, yet rewarding in the same breath!

The waitress kept wiping tables, and scraping around chairs which made us feel as though she had somewhere else she'd rather be. Or, more likely, somewhere else that she wanted us to be; i.e not in her restaurant. This was confirmed further when she decided to clear the glasses and plates of the table before my mother had even finished her main. No question of 'would you like anything else? No point. I think if she asked that she'd be letting the restaurant down. After all, they thrive on not asking questions that normal restaurants do! Well, thats the impression I got anyhow.

I would not recommend this restaurant, in fact, quite the opposite. What I would do is attempt to deter people from going to it by slating it on the internet. Which is a shame really. I'm from Aberystwyth and I know that its economy is mostly based on the tourist industry, there are some amazing restaurants in the town. But, unfortunately, this isnt one of them.

Drive on, don't look back, dont waste your time or money on this place.

2  Thank Anhonestpolicy
There are newer reviews for Rhyd-Y-Pennau Inn

Reviewed 29 August 2012

My family and I went for a meal to the Rhydypennau Inn on Friday night. I have to say that unfortunately the service you receive here really lets it down. It seems that it is impossible for any of the serving staff to smile, your drinks and food are unceremoniously dumped on your table. The waitress took a drinks order without actually writing it down and as a result got 3 of the 6 drinks wrong. How much wastage must there be if that happens every time? They are literally pouring their profits down the sink. She looked mortally offended when we asked for a salt cellar that actually had salt in it. In the ladies toilets not one of the locks worked and the toilet roll is left on top of the bin, which makes it feel very unhygienic even if it isn't. The one saving grace of this pub though is the food. I have to say that it was all cooked beautifully and tasted lovely. So, all I can say is keep your chef, he is excellent and train your serving staff to not treat your customers like they are an inconvenience!

Reviewed 15 August 2012

A restaurant we have frequented much over the years & always enjoyed our meals. Last night was an exception. The tables were covered in horrible dark coloured plastic tablecloths which were all wrinkly.
Well, the main meal itself was good but would have been even better had it been served with a smile & on warm plates!!
I opted for the mushroom soup for starters- was it mushroom? Barely luke warm & smotherered in tiny chopped herbs which totally oblitereated tany mushroom flavour there was. It was srved with a rubbery well reheated granary roll & butter but no knife so i had to use the knife intended for my main meal. The prawn cocktails others had were good but looked as though they had just been plopped on plates. No presentation whatsoever.
Main meals, as I said were served on cool plates & the waitresses just stetched over the table in front of others in our party to deliver the meals. Terrible. Whe we arrived we ordered drinks & were told they would be brought to the table. 15 mins later we had to go to the bar & collect them!
All the time we were eating out meal toddlers were racing noisily up & down the dining ares - the parents were sitting at a table outside. No attempt to calm the youngsters was made either by the parent or the staff.
When the tables were cleared the sullen, sour teenager in denim jeans just stood at the end of the table and announced "plates please" expecting us to pass them all along the table for her to pile up untidily with cutlery falling all over the table. More by luck than judgment none ended up in the laps of the 2 members of our party sitting at the end. The left overs were balanced precariously on the edges & could also easily have resulted in marked clothes. This was the same proceedure for the starters & the main course.

Luckily we were in good company so enjoyed the evening but had we gone for an evening meal it would have been an ordeal rather than a pleasure. The meals were excellent but VERY poorly presented & the service was dire& that is being kind. Salad garnishing was smothered on gravy!!!!
This is a restaurant for heavens sake not a greasy spoon cafe where service doesn`t count so much but at least the staff would have been cheerful. You go to a place like the Rhydypennau for a good meal to be enjoyed in a peaceful atmosphere & served well with pleasant clean waitresses who know how to smile.
Perhaps the landlord needs to up their wages though I doubt if even THAT would make them smile. Replacements might be the answer as there are plenty who could do the job better.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Had a fantastic family sunday lunch carvery. Also eaten here on a saturday night in the past. Fantastic food for a really great price. Plenty of room, great choice of food. good beer and wine. Great atmosphere in the bar area and great staff. Well worth a visit for food or just a drink. Great play area for the kids as well and plenty of room for parking. 5*

Reviewed 8 July 2012

On recently visiting the Rhyd-Y-Pennau Inn, i found that the team work of the waitressing and bar staff was a very poor as i observered one young short dark haired girl clearing tables and relaying them as she went along while another member of staff, i think her name is Michelle was quick enough to clear tables but left it to the young girl to clean and relay where she had cleared, surely if you clear a table you should clean and relay it yourself. She was rather rude and ignorant aswell. Other wise good pub grub