“One of Aber's Finest”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“One of Aber's Finest”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

A recent visit to Rummers reminded me of why it has always been a popular stop-off point for me over the years when out in Aber.

The rustic feel suits me perfectly (I remember when there was even sawdust on the floor here!) and there's fewer better places to be in Aber when a live band is in full swing.

The food is simple but does what it should and the only issue I ever have with this fine old establishment is one that is borne out from its popularity - the issue of space. On our recent visit on Friday a week last, we only stayed for one drink as my party of friends couldn't find anywhere to sit so decided to move on. A shame as I was keen to listen to the live music!

But as I said, the only reason there was no room was because the place is full and busy due to being a popular venue! So I suppose we should've got there earlier to grab a seat in advance!

Will definitely return on my next stay-over as it is a defining bar in the night-life of Aberystwyth.

Visited August 2014

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Lovely live music - but you need to have words with your bar staff. ”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I've only ever been to Rummers for the live music, as they always seem to have good entertainment down there, but I've had godawful service from the staff - one lad in particular is extremely rude. On the most recent occasion I asked this young, blonde bloke how much a drink was, he made up the price on the spot and then brought me two - after asking if I only wanted one! I politely told him that I only wanted one, sorry, but he angrily snatched my money from me and threw my change at me - I ended up paying £8 for 2 single measures and mixer, which is extortionate even for Rummers. I understand that pub work on a Friday night can be stressful, but his attitude and customer service was vile, and I strongly suggest the management rethink their staffing choices.

4 Thank Liann G
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Please dont eat here”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We visited Rumers as we had heard good live music. None in sight. Unpreturbed we stuck it out and ordered food. Mum goes to iceland.....so does their chef. £1 pizza topped with stuff that bore no resemblance to the menu. All this for a premium of £5 over the Iceland buy price!
Shame Iceland was closed.

2 Thank Matthew H
Diss
457 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 328 helpful votes
“Lively place to drink”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Situated by the bridge over the River Ystwyth this place remains a student bolt-hole. Live band playing on the Friday night, long benches outside and some drinking songs. Good to see they're still advertising the Tuesday vodka deals 20 years on!

Visited October 2013
Pembrokeshire, Wales, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Excellent pub with real ale!”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

This features on pretty much every pub crawl without exception when I'm out in Aber.

Inside there is a good atmosphere with music playing in the background, medium / low lighting, friendly service and a good selection of ales, lagers and cider. It's a "wine bar", but in the 4 years of being in Aber as a student, I tried the wine just once in my final week haha.

There are different offer nights at Rummers which attracts the crowds, currently there is Vodka Tuesday and Gin Thursdays which are popular - with very cheap prices for those spirits. At the time of writing it's 80p a shot on those nights. You can also regularly find live music playing at Rummers which is always good to have on a night out, typically older people playing classics.

Outside Rummers there is a big beer garden which always gets packed full of people.

Definitely visit this place whether you're out for a few, or going out before going to a club. Bare in mind that Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday are traditionally the busiest times if you are after that (especially September-June).

* I am not sure what they offer in regards to disabled access, you get into the pub by going down some steps, which would be fine to get down with assistance.

Visited June 2013