“Brilliant - Ardderchog!”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
“Brilliant - Ardderchog!”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed at a hotel just down the road from this one last year and it was great but, although cheaper, the Richmond was absolutely fantastic. Free parking space - a bit tight to move around with our Zafira but at least it was off the road. VERY friendly staff, always with a smile and (importantly for us) welsh-speaking. We asked for a sea view as we had enjoyed this at the other hotel.....we weren't disappointed. I had sent an email asking how to ensure this, I was contacted the next day and assured that we would have a sea view. The bay window in our room had an excellent view of the promenade from where we watched the murmuration of starlings doing their evening synchronised flying and settling down underneath the pier - don't miss this show if you ever go to Aberystwyth. We will definitely be using this hotel again whenever we go to Aber from now on (which I hope will be often as our son is at the University). I would recommend this hotel to everyone who wants a relaxing and trouble-free stay at Aber. There may be cheaper guest houses etc around Aberystwyth but personally I find that it is definitely worth it to pay the extra not only to stay on the sea front but to have a bay window where you can watch the world go round.
If I had to mention a minus then it would have to be that I found the bed extremely comfortable but too warm for me (my wife loved it!), having just a cotton blanket under the duvet would have been nice for me so that I could throw off the duvet! If you are considering staying here...don't think twice, just book it. As it clearly states on their website though...don't forget that there is no lift (I must point out though that this was no problem for me even though I had a triple heart by-pass just over a year ago!).
We didn't try the evening meal so can't comment on that - I plan to try that next time.
Richmond hotel...we look forward to coming back.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room (they all have a bay window) to watch the starlings and all the goings-on along...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Texvaughan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2012

The room I stayed in was large, comfortable and very clean. The staff were very friendly and always had a smile on their face.
The breakfast was excellent, no cardboard toast served in this hotel. It seemed to me that the food was locally sourced and not from a wholesaler.
There is a small car park at the rear of the hotel with cctv and security lights.

Room Tip: Night time key only works on the front door
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Newton Abbot
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I have stayed at the Richmond Hotel on a number of occasions over the past two years.

The Richmond is going through a process of renovation and modernisation.

The rooms are large and airy. They are always clean, neat and welcoming. They are kitted out with all of the items that you need.

The rooms have free broadband which has good signal strength and is free.

The breakfast is a plentiful spread of fruits, cereals, toasts and then the option of a full fry-up. The food is always freshly cooked and good quality. The place is a bit traditional and old school but excellent nonetheless.

The service you receive is unsurpassed. The staff are knowledgeable, welcoming, and attentive. We have arrived late on a number of evenings and they have completely accommodated this.

The hotel comes with free and easy access parking.

As I said I have stayed here many times over the past year and have no complaints. It is also lovely to go to sleep with the sound of the sea.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Chrysten C
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2012

The Richmond is undergoing a re vamp and very nice it is too. Clean well decorated hotel, with very friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Nicely located hotel with a good solid tradition feel. Reception was welcoming and everything was well catered for. Breakfast was first class. Room had possibly seen better days but was clean and functional. Handy car parking at rear. Good bar/TV room.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
essex, uk
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I had a lovely overnight stay. Room was excellent with a good view of the sea. I had a tasty breakfast the next day. All the staff were great. Good location from which to tour the town.

Room Tip: Room 10 has a new shower and good sea-view.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
haverfordwest
Reviewed 13 November 2011

My friend and I had a spacious room overlooking the seafront lots of local products including delicious hot chocolate. Our dinner was superb and breakfast excellent with a good choice of fruit as well as a superb cooked selection. Beds were comfortable decor was very good so overall very impressed. Reading the fairly bad review below I cannot believe this person stayed at the same place!

Room Tip: On the seafront on an autumn evening there is a wonderful display of a murmuration of starlings it h...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends