“Favourite B&B in Aber”

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
“Favourite B&B in Aber”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Over the last five years I've stayed in a lot of B&Bs in Aber and this is by far my favourite. I had a single room on the top floor which was clean, well decorated and the breakfast was superb. I didn't have a sea view but I didn't mind as I wasn't in much.

Big plus points:
- Nice room with digital TV.
- I'm fussy about breakfast but there was a selection of fresh fruit, cereals and a nice fry up. They were also attentive and well organised.
- You could come and go from the hotel without seeing a soul even though they were fully booked which is great because I hate places where you're constantly saying Hi and Bye to people you don't really know / want to know.
- Good sized car park was always able to find a space.

Downsides
There isn't a lift which would be a nightmare if you're elderly or disabled but I guess if you're in that situation you check access before you book.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed here 2 nights so my daughter could look at the University. I booked it on the strength of the reviews and wasn't disappointed. The staff are very friendly and helpful, especially Menna on reception. They are happy to accommodate special dietary requests. Breakfasts are great, and we had dinner here one night, which was also nice. It's very clean and the beds are comfortable. We were in room 7, with a sea view. It's a good size and has a little table in the window. It's opposite the door to the stairs, but this wasn't a problem as, unlike many fire doors, it did not slam. The car park is round the back, and is a little tight when full. All in all highly recommended.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed at the Richmond Hotel for 3 nights (my boyfriend was there for work and I came along just for the holiday) and both we and work colleagues agreed that it was a lovely experience. The hotel was wonderfully clean and well maintained, and the oceanfront view from our room was stunning. All of the staff were friendly and I was especially impressed by their willingness to accommodate my very strict candida diet - before we arrived I gave them a long list of foods I am not able to eat, along with a few meal ideas, and they totally made it happen! I had been worried about going hungry, but they made sure that I was well taken care of and I am so grateful. We would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We only stayed at this hotel for one night as a stopover on our way to Pembrokeshire and after reading the fantastic reviews on Trip-advisor we had no hesitation in booking. We were not disappointed. We received a warm welcome on arrival, our room was spotlessly clean with a great sea view. The breakfast was one of the best we have tasted. We did find a parking space at the rear of the hotel although parking spaces were quite tight. The only slight niggle was that there was no shower curtain over the bath which made showering a little tricky in order not to soak the bathroom floor and surrounding area, however overall this did not spoil our stay and we would defiantly come back to the Richmond Hotel.

Room Tip: We were in room 27 which is a family room with a great sea view. Very large spacious room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We have very recently stayed at the Richmond Hotel. It is located directly opposite the beach with excellent views. It was extremely clean and very comfortably appointed. the staff were all extremely helpful and went above and beyond our expectations ( particularly Menna who is a little treasure!). The food was excellent particularly as I have Coeliac Disease and I am also allergic to fish. Every member of staff was aware without prompting and all meals were excellent. Gluten free sausage and bread were provided at breakfast We will definitely return.

Gill E.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are excellent
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Agoura Hills, California
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Loved staying at the Richmond Hotel with it being right on the beach in Aberystwyth. There is nothing between you and the water. Hotel is just across the street from the beach. Our room (#8) had an incredible view of ocean and down the promenade to the pier.

It was a beautiful day with nice sunset. The starlings also put on a great show in the evening before roosting under the pier.

We ate in restaurant and the food/service were great. Nice selection of choices and very tasty. The breakfast was also delicious - cooked to order.

Menna at reception was very helpful with places to go and see and how to see the best sights in city on walking tour. She also showed us some videos of the recent big storm in the area.

This hotel weathered the storm without any problems. It is probably the safest place to stay on the Promenade.

I can't wait to go back and stay longer. Aberystwyth is a beautiful town and I would like to see more of it.

The only issue was the curtains in the room didn't block out all the light from the street but this was not a major problem as I had a great nights sleep.

I really recommend this hotel for great service and location.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view for incredible view of ocean and promenade.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

I have recently come back from a stay in the Richmond on a business trip and I would definitely go back. Menna the receptionist was incredibly helpful, friendly and efficient. The rooms and the building in general is immaculately clean. We had packed lunches made for us as we were out too early to eat breakfast, Richard the owner and chef also allowed us to eat breakfast on our second day by starting service early and attending to us himself. The food was absolutely gorgeous btw. Glenda and Alison were an absolute joy and pleasure to have a chinwag with and genuinely loved their place of work. The amenities in the room were also fantastic as well as the sea view!! Warm, genuine, lively place to stay! Thank you

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business