“Great hotel on the seafront”
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Lisserbroek, The Netherlands
“Great hotel on the seafront”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This family run hotel is beautifully located on the seafront. The staff and the owner are friendly and very helpful if you do not know the town.
The rooms at the front have great views over the sea although if you are at the top of the hotel, it is a bit of a hike up the stairs.
Rooms are clean and well furnished.
We did not use the restaurant but the breakfast was excellent.
Private parking at the back of the hotel.
The hotel is definitely NOT wheelchair friendly but they do point this out when booking.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have lovely views - could be a bit noisy during high season - htey are not do...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at the Richmond hotel for three nights while visiting Wales and could not have been happier. The Hotel is located on the Promenade facing Cardigan Bay. Each room had a picture window with two chairs and a table facing the bay. From the moment we arrived we felt right at home. The staff is wonderful and they made us feel at home. Dinner was good and the complimentary breakfast was excellent not only a buffet but with item to order as well. The hotel is centrally located to town and an easy walk from the train station.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My first time in Aberystwyth got off to a bit of a rocky start. I had emailed ahead to let the Richmond know what time my train would be arriving (thanks to the dismantling of Welsh rail service decades ago, to get from the north coast to the west requires a zigzag all the way over the Shrewsbury and back) and was told my room might not be ready. Sure enough, I was asked to wait in the bar, tired and lugging a suitcase, for fifteen minutes before I could check in. For once on my trip so far I wasn't on the top floor, which was a nice change. I had a room at the back, so no sea view, but that's all forewarned in their pricing scheme, so it wasn't a surprise. The room was a bit tiny, though with oddly high ceilings and for no reason that I can explain, the light switch to the bathroom was located at the top corner of the door frame.

The stay improved after that for me. the Richmond is one of countless (dozens at least) connected hotels that line the promenade in this town that's been a summer vacation spot for Brits for eons. It's a fifteen minute walk from the train station (which has a Weatherspoons in it) and bus station, and ten to the town centre. The view is spectacular out front, though the hotel was undergoing some renovations and there was scaffolding up I liked the genuine Welsh experience of the stay, down to the bilingual menus in the breakfast hall. The breakfast buffet was varied and I was able to order quite good oatmeal as well.

Anyway, though it was a bit of an impresonal welcome, that improved as well. I'd said at the desk that I was looking to go on a dolphin watching boat tour, and a few hours later the desk clerk remembered me and mentioned that a dolphin had been spotted out on the water.

So my stay was up-and-down, partly due to my still battling a bug and general exhaustion, and I really couldn't tell whether the stay would have been noticeably different in any of the many other seemingly identical hotels along the prom. The Richmond was good value, though I gathered the price was creeping up as I was in Aber just at the beginning of the summer season.

Room Tip: If you can swing it in your budget, get a room facing the sea.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Greg P
Sydney
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The Richmond hotel oozes (somewhat diminished) seaside splendour. It enjoys stunning views over the beach, the rooms are generous and the restaurant more than adequate. Walking up three floors is a bit of a chore but the views more than compensate. Staff are friendly and the tariff a fraction of Portmerion (if that is on your itinerary - certainly worth a visit). What more can you ask?

Room Tip: Must have a sea view room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I have stayed here a few times. It is really very pleasant. Make sure you get a seaview room - it is worth the extra few pounds. There are lovely big windows and you can sit and watch the waves crashing. Loved it!

Room Tip: Make sure you book a sea view
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Pembroke Dock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We have just had two nights at this hotel and couldn't have asked for better, I rang some time before our visit to check a couple of things and the receptionist was very helpful. When we arrived we were met by a warm welcome at reception and our room was lovely, spotlessly clean( this is always the first thing i check on arriving anywhere). We had a lovely sea view and the beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was good plenty of variety to choose from and a substantial cooked breakfast. We wanted to go to the steam railway but didn't want the bother of driving there not knowing the area so the reception staff organised a taxi for us whilst our car sat safely in the hotels private car park. There are plenty of places to eat in town but we opted to have dinner both nights in the hotel dining room and we were not disapointed. All in all a really good place to stay would recomend it to anyone

Room Tip: Just ask for one with a sea view, we stayed in room 7
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Just stayed one night here. Room with lovely sea view but all a bit dated. However clean and newly painted. Pity other guests were so noisy, we were woken several times, through to gone 3am and this is probably why I went for an average grade rather than very good. Breakfast was ok. Fruit etc very good but cooked breakfast not so good. I had scrambled eggs, excellent, mushrooms, perfectly good, and tomatoes, a disaster, not ripe so hard and not cooked enough but also not at all hot. Husband not overly impressed by bacon and sausage. All seemed pre-cooked much earlier on, except the eggs, and not kept warmed through. All the staff we met were fantastic. Very friendly and cheerful.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple