“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
London
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2009

We stayed at this hotel during a road trip around Wales, we arrived at around 6pm and were checked in with no problems, however it definitely wasn't the most welcoming greeting we had received.

This was the most expensive hotel on our entire trip at £80 for the night including breakfast, so maybe our expectations were a little high. On opening the door to our room the we noticed the bed was obviously on a slope, ie the feet of the bed were noticeably higher than the head, on inspection it was due to the springs of the bed starting to collapse, which in turn caused the bed to be quite hard. Overall not a deal breaker though, we were more disappointed when we looked in the bathroom and noticed that there shower was dirty and more importantly the toilet was very dirty (it still had marks leftover from whoever was before us) and it looked like a very pitiful attempt had been made to clean it, with a scattering of loo cleaner thrown around the bowl. If this had been scrubbed it would (and did) come clean, but this is not something guests should be expected to do.

Overall the room appeared very run down and we didn't trust the cleanliness of anything in the room. Breakfast was typical english breakfast and was satisfactory for us to start the day

On the whole I would not recommend this hotel, based on the fact that it is quite run down, and obviously cleanliness is not high on the priorities for this hotel. You can definitely get a lot better value for money hotels as some of my other reviews from this trip prove.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
EdgarCymru, Owner at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 8 December 2009
May I offer my apology to you. I take all comments and complaint very seriously. My team & I have obviously failed to maintain our usually high standards. I would like more details regarding your visit to enable me to investigate who was involved and why they didn’t do their job properly. The date and your room number would be most helpful. The comment about the unsatisfactory bed will be sorted out. I am always willing to meet guests and discuss problems at the time they occur. I can then resolve any issues and to ensure you enjoy your stay.
I hope this experience will not deter you from visiting us again, when I can apologise in person.

Richard

Richard M. Griffiths
Richmond Hotel
01970 612201

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2009

With a view straight over the sea and the sound of the crashing surf from the bed I loved our room straight away. A down side was that the window through which we wanted to view was really dirty - all dried salt spray and gull poo! I'm sure they are hard to keep clean and we did see the downstairs ones being done but they really looked as though they had not been touched in a very long time. This was a real shame but we still enjoyed sitting in the arm chairs placed within the big bow window.
Anyway, the room was clean and had all we wanted. The bathroom was modern and clean, the shower powerful - no bath but we weren't bothered. The location was great to watch comings and goings on the prom but may well be noisy in summer.
Breakfast was very good with obviously good quality sausage and bacon. Buffet style fruit and cereal were also on offer.
The bed was not comfortable and really needs sorting as it made for an uncomfortable night and we heard others with the same complaint at breakfast.
Service was very good. We nipped out for a walk and a paper one morning and by the time we got back the room had been cleaned.
The restaurant was closed during our stay.
At £85 a night it was I thought a bit expensive but on the whole what was on offer was good and it is a boon to have parking on site.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Richmond while I was in Aberystwyth visiting the National Library. I have to say that this hotel was the best one we stayed at on a very long trip through several countries. I booked the room fairly last minute, and we were given with a beautiful window overlooking the Irish Sea. A view to die for and worth every penny. The owner was extremely friendly, and the young girl who worked at the reception desk and at the bar was very nice as well. If we ever need to go back to Wales, this is where we will stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2009

I stayed for 4 nights and really enjoyed it. Hotel was very clean and right on the promenade. One small complaint - the bed was a bit hard but didn't keep me from sleeping.

Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Cowbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2009

Very happy with our brief one night stay at The Richmond. Had a double, Room 15 on second floor front with nice modern clean shower en-suite. Great view out to sea and a pleasure to sit in the chairs in the window watching the sunset and life on the Promenade in Fresher's Week! We were planning to stay in the Gwesty Cymru Hotel on spec, but it was fully booked when we rang and as it turned out we were glad we ended up in the Richmond as it was £20 min cheaper and we were happy enough. The £20 went towards dinner in the Olive Branch, the Greek Restaurant up on the left by the Pier which was very nice and rated highly on Tripadvisor Restaurants. Chose not to dine in the Hotel, but the menu and the dining room looked nice enough. Breakfast the next morning was served in the basement dining room (bit disappointing as no views), but the cooked breakfast itself was very good and freshly cooked to order.

Found the staff very nice also - the mature Lady Receptionist was very pleasant and helpful and the other staff we met were friendly enough. Would definitely stay again if ever in Aberystwyth and would recommend it even though I admit I didn't fancy the look of some of the other hotels along the front - some looked decidedly dodgey or very old-fashioned!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Bridgnorth, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2009

Lovely seaside hotel with very helpful staff. As cyclists, we had a few special requirements but nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Excellent breakfast and the evening menu looked good although we decided to eat in the town.

Highly recommended for leisure or business travellers.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Pembrokeshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2009

Excellent location. Our room had an uninterupted view of the sea and came complete with arm chairs and coffee table in the bay window so we could enjoy the view. We booked our evening meal at the hotel and it was first class. Tip try the garlic mushrooms, which came as an amazing size portion. The breakfast was equally as good. Parking was around the back of the hotel in the private car park, so I was happy the car was safe. The staff were friendly and helpful. I could not fault the hotel, staff or food in any way and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business