“A true home from home”
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed 22 January 2010

What a fantastic little hotel, right on the seafront, it may not be the Hilton but the quality of the service and warm welcome, far exceeds other large chains.
From the moment I arrived I was treated very well by Margarete who was a very welcome face after a long day driving.
The hotel does need the public areas re decorated in a more modern style, but all the said areas were very clean and today. As for my room, it was spotless and had a fantastic view, ensuite and new tv on the wall. My evening meal was very well cooked by Richqrd and fantastically served by Sarah, who was a joy to talk to and a credit to the hotel (good luck on your travels Sarah!)
I had great time here and was sad to leave after the fantastic breakfast and those awesome welsh yogurts!! I will return. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 January 2010

We stayed at this hotel while enrolling our teenage son at the university in town. It is a well managed small hotel with all the comfort somebody might reasonnably want. The staff is friendly and efficient. And it is well located by the sea.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 December 2009

To stay at a Victorian hotel that had not been bashed about was a joy. The original coving was intact in the public rooms and my bedroom. The bathhroom had modern amenaties with plenty of hot water. The staff were welcoming and helpful. They were able to assist me with my questions. Breakfast was hot and freshly cooked. I will stay there again when I next visit the National Library.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 December 2009

Just returned from a weekend at The Richmond Hotel and will first give the positives.

- The staff are lovely and welcoming, particularly the young chap who serves the bar and covers reception and the lady who served breakfast on the Sunday morning.
- The breakfast, this was served on the lower ground floor and there was a great choice of cereals, yoghurts, fresh/tinned fruit, toast etc and the cooked breakfast was superb, well cooked and a good start to the day.
- The sea view from our bedroom window was lovely.
- The lounge area in the evening was warm and welcoming to enjoy a glass or two of your favourite tipple. The evening restaurant was closed during our stay so I can’t comment.
- There is free limited parking at the rear of the hotel.

The downsides (sadly!) are:

- The stairwell and bedrooms had a musty/toilet smell and it felt as though the place needed airing.
- There are three floors but no lift, so not suitable for those who may struggle with stairs and/or luggage.
- Our bedroom (second floor) was very tired and needed updating.
- Our room really needed to be aired on arrival but the sash windows were broken and didn't stay open.
- The linen was clean but the blankets and the bedspread needed to be washed or renewed, they were very used and did not appear to be ‘fresh’.
- The toilet had a horrible visible brown stain in the pan which was in-ground – the loo just needed a bit of bleach to clear it! The toilet seat had also not been cleaned very well.
- Although towels were changed they were replaced with torn/threadbear towels.
- There was carpet in the bathroom/toilet and this was stained near the toilet and really needed to be replaced (with lino or tiles… hint hint if hotel are reading this!!).

We paid £80 per night for this hotel and had high expectations, however it needs some TLC – they’ve got the staff right, they just need to spend some money on updating it and keeping it clean.

I’ll keep an eye on future reviews to see if any of my points have been taken onboard and if so, we may well return in the future but as regular visitors to the town we will probably try elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2009

We stayed at this hotel during a road trip around Wales, we arrived at around 6pm and were checked in with no problems, however it definitely wasn't the most welcoming greeting we had received.

This was the most expensive hotel on our entire trip at £80 for the night including breakfast, so maybe our expectations were a little high. On opening the door to our room the we noticed the bed was obviously on a slope, ie the feet of the bed were noticeably higher than the head, on inspection it was due to the springs of the bed starting to collapse, which in turn caused the bed to be quite hard. Overall not a deal breaker though, we were more disappointed when we looked in the bathroom and noticed that there shower was dirty and more importantly the toilet was very dirty (it still had marks leftover from whoever was before us) and it looked like a very pitiful attempt had been made to clean it, with a scattering of loo cleaner thrown around the bowl. If this had been scrubbed it would (and did) come clean, but this is not something guests should be expected to do.

Overall the room appeared very run down and we didn't trust the cleanliness of anything in the room. Breakfast was typical english breakfast and was satisfactory for us to start the day

On the whole I would not recommend this hotel, based on the fact that it is quite run down, and obviously cleanliness is not high on the priorities for this hotel. You can definitely get a lot better value for money hotels as some of my other reviews from this trip prove.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
EdgarCymru, Owner at Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2009

May I offer my apology to you. I take all comments and complaint very seriously. My team & I have obviously failed to maintain our usually high standards. I would like more details regarding your visit to enable me to investigate who was involved and why they didn’t do their job properly. The date and your room number would be most helpful. The comment about the unsatisfactory bed will be sorted out. I am always willing to meet guests and discuss problems at the time they occur. I can then resolve any issues and to ensure you enjoy your stay.
I hope this experience will not deter you from visiting us again, when I can apologise in person.

Richard

Richard M. Griffiths
Richmond Hotel
01970 612201

Reviewed 10 November 2009

With a view straight over the sea and the sound of the crashing surf from the bed I loved our room straight away. A down side was that the window through which we wanted to view was really dirty - all dried salt spray and gull poo! I'm sure they are hard to keep clean and we did see the downstairs ones being done but they really looked as though they had not been touched in a very long time. This was a real shame but we still enjoyed sitting in the arm chairs placed within the big bow window.
Anyway, the room was clean and had all we wanted. The bathroom was modern and clean, the shower powerful - no bath but we weren't bothered. The location was great to watch comings and goings on the prom but may well be noisy in summer.
Breakfast was very good with obviously good quality sausage and bacon. Buffet style fruit and cereal were also on offer.
The bed was not comfortable and really needs sorting as it made for an uncomfortable night and we heard others with the same complaint at breakfast.
Service was very good. We nipped out for a walk and a paper one morning and by the time we got back the room had been cleaned.
The restaurant was closed during our stay.
At £85 a night it was I thought a bit expensive but on the whole what was on offer was good and it is a boon to have parking on site.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Richmond while I was in Aberystwyth visiting the National Library. I have to say that this hotel was the best one we stayed at on a very long trip through several countries. I booked the room fairly last minute, and we were given with a beautiful window overlooking the Irish Sea. A view to die for and worth every penny. The owner was extremely friendly, and the young girl who worked at the reception desk and at the bar was very nice as well. If we ever need to go back to Wales, this is where we will stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business