“A special, friendly, welcome hotel.”
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
hereford
“A special, friendly, welcome hotel.”
Reviewed 21 March 2010

If you want to stay in Aberystwyth,this is the place to go. The breakfasts are superb, the rooms are spotless and private and the staff make you feel special. A fantastic break well worth the money.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2010

HOSPITALITY: The hospitality recieved upon arrival is warm and pleasent.
ACCOMMODATION: The accommodation for a B&B is of a good standard. The bathroom is basic but does the job. I had a room on the top floor facing the sea. The bedding is clean and comfortable, the person putting it together must measure its quality be bouncing a coin off it (I didn't measure it, but sure it would have!!) :) I had a peaceful night with the sound of the crashing waves lulling me to sleep, waking fully re-couperated.
Location: for what you get and for the rate you're paying, you cant grumble really. Aberystwyth is a small place and in my opinion, not much varies between them, apart from some that are on the seafront. In comparison, The Richmond is of good value.
FOOD: The dinner menus seemed to be trying a little too hard - so I gave it a miss! The Breakfast was greasy, and OK to have once, maybe twice. After that you'd need to give it a wide bearth as its extremely greasy. There are healthier options (Cereal, Toast e.t.c)
PARKING: there is parking to the rear, which The Richmond has ample of, otherwise you can park to the front (The Hotellier recommends parking in the carpark - on rough sea days half the beach (and rocks) get washed up onto the seafront. car damage is possible for those parked upfront. I left mine out one day on a calm day and it was fine). On a later visit however i did see the carnage the sea can do to the seafront.
SUMMARY: Pleasent stay and I would consider staying here again. See my review of 'Harrys' if you want a comparison.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Exeter
Reviewed 22 January 2010

What a fantastic little hotel, right on the seafront, it may not be the Hilton but the quality of the service and warm welcome, far exceeds other large chains.
From the moment I arrived I was treated very well by Margarete who was a very welcome face after a long day driving.
The hotel does need the public areas re decorated in a more modern style, but all the said areas were very clean and today. As for my room, it was spotless and had a fantastic view, ensuite and new tv on the wall. My evening meal was very well cooked by Richqrd and fantastically served by Sarah, who was a joy to talk to and a credit to the hotel (good luck on your travels Sarah!)
I had great time here and was sad to leave after the fantastic breakfast and those awesome welsh yogurts!! I will return. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Rome
Reviewed 7 January 2010

We stayed at this hotel while enrolling our teenage son at the university in town. It is a well managed small hotel with all the comfort somebody might reasonnably want. The staff is friendly and efficient. And it is well located by the sea.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 20 December 2009

To stay at a Victorian hotel that had not been bashed about was a joy. The original coving was intact in the public rooms and my bedroom. The bathhroom had modern amenaties with plenty of hot water. The staff were welcoming and helpful. They were able to assist me with my questions. Breakfast was hot and freshly cooked. I will stay there again when I next visit the National Library.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2009

Just returned from a weekend at The Richmond Hotel and will first give the positives.

- The staff are lovely and welcoming, particularly the young chap who serves the bar and covers reception and the lady who served breakfast on the Sunday morning.
- The breakfast, this was served on the lower ground floor and there was a great choice of cereals, yoghurts, fresh/tinned fruit, toast etc and the cooked breakfast was superb, well cooked and a good start to the day.
- The sea view from our bedroom window was lovely.
- The lounge area in the evening was warm and welcoming to enjoy a glass or two of your favourite tipple. The evening restaurant was closed during our stay so I can’t comment.
- There is free limited parking at the rear of the hotel.

The downsides (sadly!) are:

- The stairwell and bedrooms had a musty/toilet smell and it felt as though the place needed airing.
- There are three floors but no lift, so not suitable for those who may struggle with stairs and/or luggage.
- Our bedroom (second floor) was very tired and needed updating.
- Our room really needed to be aired on arrival but the sash windows were broken and didn't stay open.
- The linen was clean but the blankets and the bedspread needed to be washed or renewed, they were very used and did not appear to be ‘fresh’.
- The toilet had a horrible visible brown stain in the pan which was in-ground – the loo just needed a bit of bleach to clear it! The toilet seat had also not been cleaned very well.
- Although towels were changed they were replaced with torn/threadbear towels.
- There was carpet in the bathroom/toilet and this was stained near the toilet and really needed to be replaced (with lino or tiles… hint hint if hotel are reading this!!).

We paid £80 per night for this hotel and had high expectations, however it needs some TLC – they’ve got the staff right, they just need to spend some money on updating it and keeping it clean.

I’ll keep an eye on future reviews to see if any of my points have been taken onboard and if so, we may well return in the future but as regular visitors to the town we will probably try elsewhere next time.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 2 December 2009

We stayed at this hotel during a road trip around Wales, we arrived at around 6pm and were checked in with no problems, however it definitely wasn't the most welcoming greeting we had received.

This was the most expensive hotel on our entire trip at £80 for the night including breakfast, so maybe our expectations were a little high. On opening the door to our room the we noticed the bed was obviously on a slope, ie the feet of the bed were noticeably higher than the head, on inspection it was due to the springs of the bed starting to collapse, which in turn caused the bed to be quite hard. Overall not a deal breaker though, we were more disappointed when we looked in the bathroom and noticed that there shower was dirty and more importantly the toilet was very dirty (it still had marks leftover from whoever was before us) and it looked like a very pitiful attempt had been made to clean it, with a scattering of loo cleaner thrown around the bowl. If this had been scrubbed it would (and did) come clean, but this is not something guests should be expected to do.

Overall the room appeared very run down and we didn't trust the cleanliness of anything in the room. Breakfast was typical english breakfast and was satisfactory for us to start the day

On the whole I would not recommend this hotel, based on the fact that it is quite run down, and obviously cleanliness is not high on the priorities for this hotel. You can definitely get a lot better value for money hotels as some of my other reviews from this trip prove.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
EdgarCymru, Owner at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 8 December 2009
May I offer my apology to you. I take all comments and complaint very seriously. My team & I have obviously failed to maintain our usually high standards. I would like more details regarding your visit to enable me to investigate who was involved and why they didn’t do their job properly. The date and your room number would be most helpful. The comment about the unsatisfactory bed will be sorted out. I am always willing to meet guests and discuss problems at the time they occur. I can then resolve any issues and to ensure you enjoy your stay.
I hope this experience will not deter you from visiting us again, when I can apologise in person.

Richard