“Awful!”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Hertfordshire
“Awful!”
Reviewed 27 December 2007

Room No 1, small, bathroom door didn't shut, loo leaked, shower loose on fitting and sprayed wall only, bath taps loose and difficult to operate, single bed sheet on double bed! Breakfast bowls were wet and dirty, large jug of milk off and even tinned grapefruit was fermenting in the bowl. Complained and got moved to No 8. Larger room with sitting room and recently renovated bathroom with jacuzzi bath. No shaver point, very noisy plumbing that kept us awake at night (probably due to hotel being very hot), repairs carried out to futon in sitting room by my husband! Milk was off again on the third and last day of our stay. Bill was reduced when we complained but I couldn't wait to leave.Don't stay here.

Stayed December 2007
2 Thank HopefulTraveller73

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Britain
Reviewed 18 November 2007

I felt compelled to write a review of this hotel after returning today after a one night stay. We stayed at this hotel about 4 years ago when it was under the previous management, and had a lovely stay, so booked again for last night. After booking, I read the reviews on here and found that the management had changed and generally things were not good at this hotel. To be honest, we were dreading it, but thought we could put up with any problems as we were only there for the one night.

How wrong were the reviews on here! I really can't believe how different the hotel was to how some people described it. Ok, the last review was written in April, so things might have changed since then.

We were greeted by the owner who was a very friendly gentleman who instantly made us feel welcome. We had parked at a nearby car park, and he invited us to park in the hotel car park (can fit about 8 cars in). We stayed in room 17 which was lovely! Tastefully decorated, light, airy, and most importantly clean! All the usuals you expect (tv, tea/coffee making facilities, radio, plenty of clean towels, toiletries), then we had a seating area with a table and two cream tub chairs. The room also had an iron in the cupboard which you don't always find in a small hotel. The bathroom was a great size, again light, airy and clean, with a shower over the bath.

The breakfast the next morning was a buffet style, and plenty of it! If I had to make any complaints, maybe it could have been a tad warmer, but it was by no means cold! The young waitress was friendly and helpful, and the owner himself also came out to say hello and check everything was ok.

All in all, this is a lovely hotel which doesn't deserve to be judged on reviews written months/years ago. You will not be disappointed staying at this hotel. We are definitely going back again as we are pleased to have found a nice, decently priced hotel in Aberystwyth.

• Liked — Friendly staff, clean, modern rooms, plenty to eat at breakfast
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SG198184
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 9 April 2007

Directed here from their unheated sister hotel around the corner after complaining.

Had the top family room which in essence was a low ceiling guest house room. Bathroom had no heating though the room itself was warm. Poor standard room made to look like a hotel by adding bottles of water and a few biscuits. Shower was broken, doors wouldn't shut etc etc

However the breakfast was good but that didn't make up for what was generally a poor experience for £85 a night.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — guest house not hotel
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank Chcharlie_Parker

Travellers are raving about these Aberystwyth hotels

Manchester
Reviewed 30 September 2006

booked an en-suite room and was given one with a bath room "down the hallway", and told that i shouldn't grumble as it was exclusively for me. so why it was locked with other people having baths in it is a mystery!!

everytime the door shut in the corridor outside my room, all the walls shook - day and night.

overheated and very stuffy. breakfast nothing special. ridiculously overpriced.

i can confirm the sentiments of the below reviewer; this was once a great hotel - but under new management it has become an unpleasant experience.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank PackABagAndGo
Midlands, England
Reviewed 21 August 2006

We were booked into this hotel travelling on business for two nights. I agree with other posts about this hotel. There is very limited car parking available and parking restrictions on all of the surrounding roads. The hotel itself is clean enough, but desperately in need of a makeover. Facilities are very basic. My room (No 1) was basic and overlooking the rear entrance. Furniture was very cheap and fragile - drawer front fell off if closed too fast!! Bed was most uncomfortable - mattress extremely old and thin, springs digging into back disturbing my sleep. Towels old and frayed. Shower curtain old and stained. I would have asked for another room but my colleague had his own list of faults with his room so I suspected that any other room would have been disappointing. (No hook on wall for shower head and 35 mins to fill bath!) Finally breakfast..... a good selection of hot or cold food. However, the 'hot' food had been out on display for an hour when I came down for breakfast and was barely luke warm. Not acceptable for a hotel charging these prices. Needs some attention!

• Liked — The Exit!!
  • Disliked — The bed.
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid until completely refurbished
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Paul4598
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 May 2006

We've been going to Aber for years for weekend breaks and have stayed many times and the Four Seasons finding it homely, friendly and reasonably priced.

Sadly it's now under new management and this is no longer the case. It is now overpriced and badly run by people who don't seem to have clue how to operate a hotel.

On arrival there were no bath towels in our room. We were handed floor cloths (the type you stand on when you get out of the bath!!!!) as a substitute and told the chamber maids would sort it - they never did.

The whirlpool bath loooked nice enough but ejected all kinds of sinister looking hairs when it was switched on - scary.

An order for a morning paper was met with a blank look and then advice to go to the Spar on the high street if I wanted one - how helpful.

Finally breakfast. Total chaos - one waitress who seemed on the brink of a nervous breakdown (presumably due to complaints and overwork) because of the cold food and lack of plates and cutlery.

This is honestly the worst experience I've ever had in a hotel. So did I complain?

Of course not - I handed over my £90 without a grumble - I am British after all !!!

If this hotel is a three or two star hotel as it claims then Fawlty Towers is a five star.

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cornwall
Reviewed 2 May 2006

I tell you now that this hotel is soooo over priced its unbelievable!! I stayed there for one night only because the attitude of the man in charge there was beyond acceptable!! private car parking... yeah for 2 cars one being his. I'm sorry I couldnt give this place time of day!

• Stayed April 2006, travelled on business