“ARGH!”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Cardiff
“ARGH!”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Stupidly, I ignored the bad reviews below!
I had booked this hotel for 1 night as I was in Aberystwyth alone, for a conference. Although the check in was 2-10, it was about 5.30-6 before I could leave for the hotel, so I decided to ring them to say I still wanted the room and was on my way. I explained I didn't know the area, and the receptionist was very helpful and friendly, and gave me directions. At the end of the call, she said that there was a problem with my room, but she'd explain when I arrived, but I asked her to tell me then. There was a leak in my room, which meant I couldn't stay there, and they had no other rooms available. Plan B was to offer me a room in the owner's home, which I refused! Plan C was that they might be able to get me into another local hotel. They did sort this out, after a time, and pay for the difference, of course, but this was very stressful, and even more awful considering that they didn't ring me to tell me this, even though they had my phone number. The receptionist was very apologetic, and let me park in their car park because of limited parking in the other hotel. Nevertheless, I wouldn't recommend the hotel, due to this service!

Room Tip: I can't comment on anything other than the service.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank h_yeandle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This hotel needs a lot of work to bring it up to any sort of standard. Upon check in there was no one around (we later found out that they work on a skeleton staff with no dedicated receptionist - there is a phone number to call)

Once actually managaing to get a key - the bedrooms are very dated and somewhat grubby but still clean if that makes any sense ? There is a strong smell of talc powder - not sure if this is meant to hide something ? Bathrooms ok much the same as the bedrooms - old fashioned but everything you'd expect was there.

The breakfast was probably the best thing about this place - a hot Baine Marie type service with a full selection of cold items, juices and cereals etc. Service at breakfast was OK

For me the biggest issues facing this hotel are

* Not having any staff around during the day / night - not only a bad customer service point but from a safety point of view, the front door is always open and what happens in the event of a fire or other emergency.

* The bedrooms need upgrading - there is a very 70's feel to this place but with a little TLC it could be quite nice as the location is ideal.

* Some members of our group reported having electric shocks from some of the portable appliances in bedrooms.

Room Tip: Avoid room 18 - terrible water pressure !
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Hospitraveller

Travellers are raving about these Aberystwyth hotels

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Great location. Generous breakfast, buffet style – which I prefer. Slate placemats help keep the plates warm as you eat. Soymilk, vegetarian sausages and dairy-free margarine were kindly provided. Pleasant and efficient breakfast service.
Flat screen TV and many channels. Good wi-fi. Parking in small rear lot, which fills up.
Nice, heavy drapes. Good lighting in room and bathroom. A non-functioning shower one day was quickly replaced.
I had room 3. Old windows that can’t fully close and bolt. Deep cleaning and minor repairs are needed (e.g., loose shower head holder). Towels with rips should be discarded. Bathroom blind and window frosting need replacing. More electrical outlets are needed in order to use a computer at the desk and the clock-radio on the bedside table.
March 2012: Construction noise. Roof over rear door is being installed, and new rooms are being renovated at one side. I hope they’ll give attention to the old rooms as well.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Eastham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed in room Number 12 (Family Room) cost £105 for myself, wife and two teenage daughters. Parking hit and miss, depends if there is a space available, we were lucky to find a space in the small car park at the back of the Hotel. Our room was located at the top of the building which involved a hike up lots of stairs, room was spacious with a seperate bathroom, bottles of water,tea,coffee supplied. The room was very old fashioned and in need of an urgent upgrade, woodchip on the walls, stained ceilings, lampshade held together with cellotape. Beds and sheets clean and we had a decent nights sleep,most other things in the room dirty, bathroom was also dirty with a pungent smell from the drains, shower cold.
On a plus side English breakfast provided was fine.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Robert S
Birmingham
Reviewed 27 January 2012

My partner and i stayed at the four seasons for one night, check in was smooth and the receptionist was very helpful as we had lots of luggage after returning from holiday. The room was clean, but was very 'lived in', and i think slightly overpriced for £60 for the night in January. The breakfast in the morning was good, and again the reception was very helpful for allowing us to leave our luggage at the hotel for the day. Would recommend.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2012

As per the other reviews. Shabby, old, dated etc etc, I agree. Double bed was small but not too hard. Self Service cooked and cereal breakfast. Price was £65 but owner happily dropped to £55 on the phone. For £55 I would happily stop here again for the night to visit my student son. After some drinks all you need is a reasonable bed and that is what you get.

Room Tip: Room 3 was quiet, where we stayed, but not large.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Midlands UK
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Is it cheap, fifty quid a night with breakfast? Maybe it is, but luxury it certainly ain't. If you are lucky you might find a parking spot on the main road outside (metered). Inside, their is a tiny bar and a lower level where the reception desk is with pleasant staff. But its not exactly the Bangkok Hilton is it. Leading out the back of the hotel is a bunch of ramshackle rooms. Mine was room 6 (maybe ask not room 6 if you book), a bed Kate Moss would find a tad on the skinny side. Boing, boing. The springs are coming up through the matress and it sags in the middle. The duvet had no cover. Nice touch. The most uncomfortable bed I can remember (trying) to sleep in. In my room, there was just a sink, my private bathroom was accessed by leaving the room barging my way through a narrow firedoor and using a key to access a freezing cold bathroom. Toilet and a grubby old bath I'd only consider to die in, not wash thanks. In the morning breakfast was ok, nothing exceptional as you'd expect but maybe not as bad as I was expecting. Man, I was pleased we were only booked in for one night. This is a 'hotel' where the savvy owners invest the minimum and squeeze out of it the maximum number of rooms they can. As Craig Revel Horwood might say, DI A BOLICAL darling. NEXT ...

we are not joking when we say that this is not a hotel. it is a collection of grubby rooms and filthy bathrooms with broken showers. the bar consists of 1 bar tap at a counter beside reception and reception is a shelf. the price is a joke for what you get. we paid 89 sterling for one night whereas...

Room Tip: avoid room 6 (bring your own bed)
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business