“Avoid!”

Four Seasons Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
“Avoid!”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

OMG where to start? Ended up here as first place I tried was full, then place I did book - belgrave house - bumped us. Guy said they also owned Four Seasons.Looks adequate from outside and reception but room was hideous - grubby and too small to swing a hamster, let alone a cat.

• Stayed July 2012
9 Thank kmctrip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
South Wales
Reviewed 18 June 2012

This Hotel is a bit of a hotch potch. Some good, some bad. For example, there is a reception area with a beautiful marble floor, and new fittings, but through a door you go into toilets that are straight out of a 1950's back street pub ! The bedroom had been decorated with new wallpaper, and bed and furniture, but the woodwork had been left ! So it was dirty and chipped. The bathroom fittings still contained the stickers saying "Checked by ...". No attention to detail really. We were asked to pay the night before, which surprised us a little. We were told the room would be ready from 14.00 - it wasn't. Breakfast was a little chaotic. We had no cutlery, and when we asked for some, the waitress didn't seem to know what cutlery was. We then asked for knives and forks, but she brought 2 knives and a spoon. The food was only of average quality. The bar closes at 21.30, even for residents. All in all, we were disappointed. A Premier Inn would have been cheaper and cleaner, but sadly there isn't one in Aberystwyth.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChiefSpotter
Barcelona
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We stayed in Easter while they were doing some works at one side of the hotel.
Firstly, we were not able to park the car in the car park as it was occupied by the workers. Secondly, we were given a room next to the area where they were working, listening to music and singing. Apparently, the hotel was nearly empty but we were given this room.
Finally, at 11pm they were still working, listening to music and singing, which force me to go out of the room and complain to them (which I knew they were not responsible).
In summary, a horrible night. I think this is the first time that I am not recommending the stay at any hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank dabitrr

Travellers are raving about these Aberystwyth hotels

Cardiff
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Stupidly, I ignored the bad reviews below!
I had booked this hotel for 1 night as I was in Aberystwyth alone, for a conference. Although the check in was 2-10, it was about 5.30-6 before I could leave for the hotel, so I decided to ring them to say I still wanted the room and was on my way. I explained I didn't know the area, and the receptionist was very helpful and friendly, and gave me directions. At the end of the call, she said that there was a problem with my room, but she'd explain when I arrived, but I asked her to tell me then. There was a leak in my room, which meant I couldn't stay there, and they had no other rooms available. Plan B was to offer me a room in the owner's home, which I refused! Plan C was that they might be able to get me into another local hotel. They did sort this out, after a time, and pay for the difference, of course, but this was very stressful, and even more awful considering that they didn't ring me to tell me this, even though they had my phone number. The receptionist was very apologetic, and let me park in their car park because of limited parking in the other hotel. Nevertheless, I wouldn't recommend the hotel, due to this service!

Room Tip: I can't comment on anything other than the service.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank h_yeandle
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This hotel needs a lot of work to bring it up to any sort of standard. Upon check in there was no one around (we later found out that they work on a skeleton staff with no dedicated receptionist - there is a phone number to call)

Once actually managaing to get a key - the bedrooms are very dated and somewhat grubby but still clean if that makes any sense ? There is a strong smell of talc powder - not sure if this is meant to hide something ? Bathrooms ok much the same as the bedrooms - old fashioned but everything you'd expect was there.

The breakfast was probably the best thing about this place - a hot Baine Marie type service with a full selection of cold items, juices and cereals etc. Service at breakfast was OK

For me the biggest issues facing this hotel are

* Not having any staff around during the day / night - not only a bad customer service point but from a safety point of view, the front door is always open and what happens in the event of a fire or other emergency.

* The bedrooms need upgrading - there is a very 70's feel to this place but with a little TLC it could be quite nice as the location is ideal.

* Some members of our group reported having electric shocks from some of the portable appliances in bedrooms.

Room Tip: Avoid room 18 - terrible water pressure !
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Hospitraveller
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Great location. Generous breakfast, buffet style – which I prefer. Slate placemats help keep the plates warm as you eat. Soymilk, vegetarian sausages and dairy-free margarine were kindly provided. Pleasant and efficient breakfast service.
Flat screen TV and many channels. Good wi-fi. Parking in small rear lot, which fills up.
Nice, heavy drapes. Good lighting in room and bathroom. A non-functioning shower one day was quickly replaced.
I had room 3. Old windows that can’t fully close and bolt. Deep cleaning and minor repairs are needed (e.g., loose shower head holder). Towels with rips should be discarded. Bathroom blind and window frosting need replacing. More electrical outlets are needed in order to use a computer at the desk and the clock-radio on the bedside table.
March 2012: Construction noise. Roof over rear door is being installed, and new rooms are being renovated at one side. I hope they’ll give attention to the old rooms as well.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Eastham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed in room Number 12 (Family Room) cost £105 for myself, wife and two teenage daughters. Parking hit and miss, depends if there is a space available, we were lucky to find a space in the small car park at the back of the Hotel. Our room was located at the top of the building which involved a hike up lots of stairs, room was spacious with a seperate bathroom, bottles of water,tea,coffee supplied. The room was very old fashioned and in need of an urgent upgrade, woodchip on the walls, stained ceilings, lampshade held together with cellotape. Beds and sheets clean and we had a decent nights sleep,most other things in the room dirty, bathroom was also dirty with a pungent smell from the drains, shower cold.
On a plus side English breakfast provided was fine.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family