“Terrible - stay away!”
Review of Four Seasons Hotel

Four Seasons Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Beware of scam. Booked this hotel, arrived to find that, similar to some earlier reviews, there was supposedly a boiler problem, and we were being sent to a sister hotel nearby, the Queensbridge. No advance warning, even though they had all of our contact details and worse, as we only discovered the next morning when we enquired, the original hotel charged out credit card for the full amount, EVEN BEFORE WE HAD ARRIVED! But that is not the worst. Arrived at Queensbridge to find a squalid, rundown dump of a place.
Nice enough receptionist but we should have realised something was strange when she asked us nothing upon check-in. No id, no credit card, nothing. Turns out it is because the payment had already been processed, but we didn't find that out until later the next day. Room was disgraceful. Door wouldn't lock from inside, furnishings questionable, room smelly, carpets dirty, radiator miniscule and with dirt underneath, window broken so noisy, drafty, and heard rain all night. Curtains also dirty. Bathroom and bedsheets were clean, thankfully, but toilet ran, and bathroom needs to be stripped out and re-done. Breakfast was included but we didn't want to risk things especially after reading other reviews about breakfast room cleanliness- plus it was served in a dank basement room! Looked up Queensbridge. Has two stars. Deserves less. We were not offered any apologies, discount, not even a receipt. The hapless front desk just told us to go see the Four Seasons. Which we did. We asked for a credit card receipt (receptionist said it must be in the post -- note that it is now 10 days later and we still have no receipt!). We also demanded a discount after we discovered we'd been automaticaly charged the 75 pounds for the Four Seasons! Discount offered was pathetic, only 15 pounds. Paying 60 pounds for Queensbridge is unacceptable. But by then we wanted to get far away and, after all, we didn't want this awful place to ruin our short stay in Aberystwyth! They didn't have the decency to OFFER the discount themselves, nor even to apologise for messing us around. We had to insist, and then wait for receptionist to verify with the manager off site. Many probably don't go to the effort to go back to ask for discount, so in the end these terrible rip- off artists continue on their merry way. My message - don't let them get away with this. You almost have to laugh at the signs offering a 10% discount for any parents of Aberystwyth University students who return for a second stay. You must be joking. Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: No idea if such a room even exists.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SandboxMama

Reviewed 8 October 2012

We booked two rooms at this hotel on 19 August 2012, well in advance, for a one night stay on 6 October. We booked a deluxe double for myself and my wife, and a family room for my daughter, son-in-law, and 3 year old granddaughter. When we arrived in the afternoon we were told that there was a problem with one of the rooms and we would have to be moved to another of the owner's hotels, The Queensbridge. We were in no position to argue as my granddaughter was weary after a 3 1/2 hour drive, and we were assured that this was a superior hotel on the sea front. We've subsequently found that the Queensbridge has a 2 star rating on Booking.com against a 3 star for the four seasons.

The reason for our visit was that my wife and daughter were attending a wedding in the town, so myself and son-in-law decided to go along for a weekend break. I was surprised and puzzled to find out that evening that other guests at the wedding had been booked in to the Queensbridge, but had been moved to the Four Seasons - the opposite swap to ours! I can't begin to imagine what this guy was up to. Reading other reviews, this seems to be a regular event with this owner.

I can't give a review of the hotel itself as we didn't stay here, but I will review the Queensbridge separately, but don't expect a glowing endorsement.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Orchid56
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I have booked 2 nights at the hotel and the manager contacted us to try and move us to another very mediocre hotel, on the excuse that there was a problem with the room. I refused as the room as nothing like the one I expected!
Apparently the manager was trying to do this to another couple who also refused the deal. After a first very noisy night at the hotel, the second night was absolutely Hell! People were walking in and out of the building, very drunk and loud young people. We tried to contact reception but no one was available (no 24h reception service as claimed). It was a police matter but we didn't contact them thinking someone in charge in the hotel would do something before we knew it was 4am. In the morning we complained at desk and got received by nothing but screams and aggresivity from Mister Davies the manager. Fearing an overreaction (there was another couple complaining as well) with preferred to call Police to witness this utterly aggressive behaviour.
I do not want to recommend this place and I want to report this person, so that no one would have to go through this verbal abuse and uncomfortable situation. Considering that we had not have an hour of sleep in the second night we discussed the price and paid cash. I am now suspicious that he will charge us AGAIN for the stay, as they have our credit card detail.
I do not recommend you to go there and I cannot believe that so many accusation and reports of bad services, that this hotel can still be open!

Room Tip: Do not go there, Four season should be closed down!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank susa R
Reviewed 12 September 2012 via mobile

Here on business and don't usually stop in private hotels. My double room with windows to 2 aspects spa bath leather 2 seater and chair king size bed. Newly decorated loads tea coffee. This hotel has better rooms than crowne plaza hotels I've stayed in. Staff friendly and located in the town centre. Wish I was staying longer this is the hotel to stay in in this town. Free wi fi extra at holiday inn included here. Resturant excellent choices and priced at pub rates all in all an excellent place to stay. I will be back for a weekend away be sure of that.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I usually read all the reviews of places I want to stay at on here. Must have missed this one! Travelling around Wales we wanted to stay a few nights in Aberystwyth. I checked that there was adequate parking as we have a large Mondeo car and we usually want to leave some of our belongings in it over night. Arrived but there was no where to park. The car park is small. There was a large blue container taking up a quarter of the space. Two large Biffa rubbish bins were oozing rubbish which was littering the car park. Two large workmens vans were parked along a wall and 4 other cars filled the rest of the spaces. It was suggested that we park in a public car park several minutes away. We rejected the idea. Then the two workmen (also guests) were asked to move their vans to allow us space. This made us feel VERY uncomfortable. We were shown the room - it was large and ok. Nothing special. We did not check in. We feel that the description of this hotel does not match with reality. We were still charged for 2 nights stay!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Maxcamb
Reviewed 2 September 2012

happy happy happy! We stayed at the Four Seasons hotel at the end of august 2012, two adults and two kids aged 2 and 3 years; Family room number 20, two doubles and two singles, large room with sofa and two t.v, all in good clean condition, very happy! power shower bathroom all clean, new towels every day plenty of tea coffee and water provided! and internet, in town one street from the sea front! breakfast great, had enjoyable stay would definately stay again!!!! only down side the road was noisy and we were on second floor! will just take earplugs next time for me didnt bother the children or hubby! plenty of parking; we didnt us the car once we got there so always had a parking space ; ) visit the museum down the road above tourist office kids loved punch and judy exhibit and go on the steam train to devils bridge!!

Room Tip: back of hotel because of the road or take earplugs!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Myself my wife and 2 kids stayed in the family room it was massive very modern , well worth the money.The staff were great friendly , our staff was great we would come back.The only thing I would suggest is that the windows were double glazed as it was very noisy but that is a only positive feedback.

• Stayed: August 2012