“OK if you want to sleep in a cupboard!!”
Review of Four Seasons Hotel

Four Seasons Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Just returned from this hotel on 20th July 2013, we only stayed 1 night and couldn;t face staying another night there. Booked over the internet but when we arrived they said that they had taken a phone booking at the same time we were booking on the internet and that was for the last room available. They sent us to their 'sister' hotel which was a crumbling,smelly glorified B&B. We refused a room there so they rang the Four Seasons back who surprise surprise could now accommodate us. We asked to see this newly materialised room but the manager appeared in a dirty, stained, old t-shirt and said abruptly and nastily that there was no point because that was it, take it or you loose your money!!!!! The room was a cupboard - single at best. we stayed one night in this sweltering heat and left the following day and forfeited the money for the rest of our stay which we had had to pay upront on arrival. On checking out and expressing our upset the receptionist actually admitted that it was only a single room which they sometimes used in emergencies as a double.
In its favour, location for town and seafront was excellent and breakfast was very good.

Room Tip: Make sure you dont get room 14
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We had booked the "deluxe" room several weeks before but on arrival we were told it was already occupied and we had to take the only remaining double, which was quite small. The shower over the bath wos very difficult to control. It was either too hot or freezing. There was ample drawer and wardrobe space and tea and coffee making facilities. Breakfast was in a pleasant modern dining room and the buffet provided was good. However, I don't think the room and service warranted the price we paid.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I booked a twin and double room (for my daughters 21st and Graduation) at this place on 22 April 2013 at a an inflated price of £105 per room as the booking was for graduation week in July, my partner rang the hotel on 11 July 2013 (the day before our arrival), to ask if it would be ok for us to check-in at 1pm instead of 2pm, while talking to the receptionist she was surprised to be told that the hotel had been overbooked and we would be staying at there sister hotel The Queensbridge, with such short notice of the change we had no choice but to stay in the alternative accommodation (which we were assured had been fully refurbished and was a very nice hotel). On arrival at The Queensbridge we booked in and went to the rooms, the double was fine worth at most £80 a night, however the supposed twin turned out to be a family room equipped with a double bed and bunk beds (this room was for 2 elderly women over 65) and had not been refurbished for many years. When we complained nothing was done we complained again the next morning and the receptionist phoned the owner who told him to offer us £10 for the twin room only, I have phoned and asked to speak to the manager of the Four seasons only to be told that they were not available so I emailed them and after over a week I have had no reply. So these people think I am going to go away when they had nearly 3 months to inform me of the error and moved me from a 3 star hotel to a 2 star hotel.

Room Tip: avoid like the plague
2  Thank theace123
Reviewed 18 July 2013

On arrival the reception we received was fine, but by no means overly friendly. The room was, a little dated, but the beds were comfortable and both room and bathroom were spotless. Fresh towels and refreshments were delivered everyday, however the pressure in the shower meant it could not hang from above your head without going freezing cold.

The free parking was never available over a three day period, however free on street parking was never overly difficult to find.

Breakfast was enjoyable, but dinner was another story altogether. It was necessary to order 30 mins before so the receptionist had time to cook, what tasted like a microwave meal. Very disappointing.

Overall the hotel was fine, but as a group we felt it was more of a bed and breakfast.

Room Tip: If travelling with a lot of baggage, note that there is no lift
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I am a regular reader of reviews on trip advisor when planning a holiday yet I have only ever written one review. That was over 3 years ago and was written beacause we were so overwhelmed by an amazing holiday and hotel that I wanted others to know. Sadly this review is at the oposite end of the scale and we were so outraged by The Four seasons, Aberystwyth. that I am happy to send my little and precious time in warning others to avoid it at all costs!

I booked this hotel before Easter as my Son was to Graduate on July 10th from Aberystwyth Uni and I knew that the town would be busy with tourists and Graduation. I book many hotels through Booking.com and even months before Graduation this was one of the only hotels that still had rooms. 2 Supiriour doubles were left and looking at the pictures on the web of the rooms I actualy felt lucky that we had come accross them. My Son's girlfriend was also comming and after 4 years of hard work for his degree I wanted to make this a special few days for all of us.

I, as always,checked reviews. These were very mixed and I decided to take some "with a pinch of salt" as we have read reviews before that do not reflect or experiences at Hotels, restaurants etc.

A few days before our visit my Husband recieved a call from The Four Seasons with some very strange questions such as "Are you still coming?" ""Do you still want both rooms?" "What time will you be here?" When unable to answer the last question to an appropriate time the caller got a little irritated. This did not feel like a good start before we had even left home!

We arrived at 3pm on the day. We have a large car and the car park is tiny. We had to unload and move the car to the pay and display directly opposite. This has very limited space and is short stay only (up to 2 hours and no return in an hour) There is nowhere nearby if this is not an option. fortunatley for us someone moved and we quickly put the car in the hotel car park for our stay as we did not need it until we left for home. Not many other guests were so lucky.

By the time I got back my Husband had been asked to pay for the rooms there and then. Again, unusual! We struggled to the top floor up very tight stair cases with loose carpet and all our luggage with no offer of help. We are the right side of 50 years old and had a young fit 22 year old. I would dread to think how older or infirm people would manage.

On entering our rooms my husband said " oh dear.....your face say's it all". A small cramped room with a double and a simgle bed. A small cramped bathroom with the toilet next to a huge window. A shower head over the bath from Dickens times. Certainly everything from the web I had NOT booked when looking at the pictures. My Son's room was the same minus the single bed. My Son asked me not to make a fuss and that for 2 nights "it would do". But my point was that we had already paid for two rooms that we had not booked. On my way down to reception I passed 2 cleaners. Excuse me... are rooms 15 and 16 Supirior doubles?" I asked. One cleaner paused then said..."oh..no there not.. why?" It dosn't matter " I said and left her to it.

At reception I asked the very embarresed receptionist who could not give me a straight answer and asked for the Manager. The manager was very polite and calm. He took my hand and assured me they were Supiriour rooms. When i questioned the pictures on the web he brushed over it quickly. I asked him to just be honest. if we could not have the rooms we had booked then he would need to adjust our payment accordingly. We were there now for a special occassion, the town and hotels were full and I did not want to cause any fuss that would spoil this occasion for us. We would have to make the best of it. The manager stayed insistant that we were paying the right amount at this time of year for 2 Supirior rooms. I gave in. I just couldn't be bothered, though at any other time i would!!!

We had payed a total bill of just under £600 for 2 small, dirty, cramped doubles on room and breakfast only. UPFRONT!!!

The weather was very hot during our stay. The rooms were sweltering and twice my son had to leave his room and go outside because he couldn't stand the heat.

The Manager did have the single bed removed from our room which made a slight difference to space. He did however insist we had asked for it when booking??????????

The bed had a large wooden headboard with a 4 inch ledge which would take 1 second to sweep a duster over every room change. This hadn,t been done in weeks. The decor was tierd. The bathroom unpleasant. The shower stopped halfway through my husbands shower on the morning of graduation and he quickly had to run a bath.

This is not a hotel. It is a low grade B&B.
The restaurant remained unused, dark and shut during our stay. Fortunatley I had pre booked tables at two restaurants in the town for both evenings. Little Italy and Gwesty Cymru. Both absolutly amazing and well worth a visit. Thank goodness I had done this.

On our first night we arranged to meet our Son and his girlfriend at the bar in the hotel for a drink. When we got ther they sat on a sofa laughing. The bar only had cans of Beer or Larger and as yet no one was around to serve. We went straight out!!

When we came back at 11 pm on both nights we were able to walk straight in and up to our rooms. Reception was dark and unmaned. We passed no one. Very worrying security!!!!!

The court yard is no ore than a small space on concrete between the back of hotel enterance and the small cramped car par. There laundry room opens onto the 'court yard' so any one wishing to sit there was treated to the sound of washing machines and smell of washing powder.

Believe it or not I do have a positive comment. Breakfast was ok. Small choice of cereal,jucies and yoghurts but the cooked food was well cooked, fresh and plentyful. The young breakfast waitress could just do with learning how to smile and a refresher course on manners and customer service would help but the huge cobweb above my husband was a source for amusment to the rest of us during breakfast.

We had the most amazing and hot weather during our stay. The town was a mass of young families and Graduating students with their families. The prom and beach were buzzing and the atmosphere wonderfull. We filled our spare time out and about which was great. If the weather had been not good to us we would have found anywhere to be but in our hotel!

I will be sad not to go to Aberystwyth now that my Son has left the Uni. It is a wonderful little town with much to offer on a short break. I have only actually stayed for a night once before, when we came to look at the Uni. We stayed at The Richmond Hotel. On the sea front. Wonderful sea veiw room (room 8) Room and bathroom spotless and twice the size and half the price of The four Seasons. and yes it was August..peake season !!

Yes, Graduation was wonderful
Yes, Abber and it's people are lovely.
Yes, the restaurants we at at were second to none.

No. I realy don't have the time to wright this review but felt that I would be horrified if anyone else spent their hard earned money and precious time at this awfull Hotel.
I would suggest a night on the beach with a blanket from the car much cheaper and much more pleasant.

5  Thank Fenneydingle
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed in one of their family rooms. Room size was very generous, decor was fitting for the charm of the hotel and town. Beds were comfy and bathroom excellent. The included breakfast was your fairly typical cooked breakfast, dinning area was welcoming. Short walk to the restaurants, cliff railway and castle ruins.
Would definitely recommend a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I am writing this review as we are finishing up our breakfast in this hotel. That is how dissatisfied I am. First I will start with the good. Location is great and the room is relatively clean with coffee/tea/ hot chocolate etc and spacey. That is about all I can say for the good.
Now for the things that made me sit here and write this review. Let's start with the sour faced greeting we received upon check-in. You would think we weren't paying customers but more of a nuisance. Then there is the fact that the family room is up 3 flights of extremely narrow stairs. We had to leave our luggage in the car and pull out some clothes and our p.j's and head upstairs like that. Oh and their website that says they have parking, forgets to mention there are approximately 6 spots for 15 rooms and so more than likely you won't get a spot. We didn't (surprise) and had to park on the street. We had to then move the car halfway through breakfast as it was only half an hour parking.
The room itself had a slight stale smell and was very hot and stuffy. Open a window? Well we really couldn't as there was only a small opening. We didn't spend much time in the room but chose to walk around the town. Returning pretty late we decided we would shower and go to bed. Well for the 5 of us we were given 2 towels. No one is around to ask for anything so 2 of us showered and yes you guessed it the "hot" water was luke warm and literally dribbled down. I was too scared to shampoo my hair as I thought the dribble could stop any second and yes, sure enough the water cut out and in for the remainder of my shower. I felt dirtier as I stepped out of the shower than when I stepped in ;))
Time to dry off and go to bed. It was clean but creaky, lumpy and every time you moved or turned the bed banged against the wall, waking us all. We got through the night, asked for extra towels for the kids in the morning and dribbled them in some water and went down for our breakfast.
At breakfast there was a table for 5 that had not been cleared and instead of cleaning it up and seating us, we were asked to go into the 'other' breakfast room across the hall and away from the food. We sat down and went to get our breakfast. The food was fine, a typical full-English breakfast but the eggs were gone. Apparently a second bunch came out and because we were in another room we missed out on those too. Had to wait for the eggs and toast for a little while. The service was terrible. No smiles, no interaction, nothing other than 2 women who looked like they resented being here!
I just want to add that we travel quiet extensively and have stayed in everything from our car, to cabins, youth hostels and 5 star accommodation. We are always grateful to have a bed to sleep on and are not what you would call picky. However when you book a room at 100 pounds you actually expect to get a decent bed, a shower that makes you feel clean and some breakfast all with a little smile. After all that is what a bnb/hotel is there for you would think??
I had to look up this place on the Internet now and see what others had to say. Shock!! There is an article about the owner getting a fine and misleading the rating and refurbishment... I have to laugh!! It really is no revelation really :))
Well I have to finish up now as it is already check-out time. Yes you guessed it... An early 10am check-out... Probably best to get out of here and enjoy the rest of our day :))

Room Tip: I would not recommend this hotel at all!! Go elsewhere!!!
1  Thank olcayoz