“a miserable experience”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Manchester
“a miserable experience”
Reviewed 30 September 2006

booked an en-suite room and was given one with a bath room "down the hallway", and told that i shouldn't grumble as it was exclusively for me. so why it was locked with other people having baths in it is a mystery!!

everytime the door shut in the corridor outside my room, all the walls shook - day and night.

overheated and very stuffy. breakfast nothing special. ridiculously overpriced.

i can confirm the sentiments of the below reviewer; this was once a great hotel - but under new management it has become an unpleasant experience.

• Stayed August 2005
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank PackABagAndGo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Midlands, England
Reviewed 21 August 2006

We were booked into this hotel travelling on business for two nights. I agree with other posts about this hotel. There is very limited car parking available and parking restrictions on all of the surrounding roads. The hotel itself is clean enough, but desperately in need of a makeover. Facilities are very basic. My room (No 1) was basic and overlooking the rear entrance. Furniture was very cheap and fragile - drawer front fell off if closed too fast!! Bed was most uncomfortable - mattress extremely old and thin, springs digging into back disturbing my sleep. Towels old and frayed. Shower curtain old and stained. I would have asked for another room but my colleague had his own list of faults with his room so I suspected that any other room would have been disappointing. (No hook on wall for shower head and 35 mins to fill bath!) Finally breakfast..... a good selection of hot or cold food. However, the 'hot' food had been out on display for an hour when I came down for breakfast and was barely luke warm. Not acceptable for a hotel charging these prices. Needs some attention!

• Liked — The Exit!!
  • Disliked — The bed.
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid until completely refurbished
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Paul4598

Travellers are raving about these Aberystwyth hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 May 2006

We've been going to Aber for years for weekend breaks and have stayed many times and the Four Seasons finding it homely, friendly and reasonably priced.

Sadly it's now under new management and this is no longer the case. It is now overpriced and badly run by people who don't seem to have clue how to operate a hotel.

On arrival there were no bath towels in our room. We were handed floor cloths (the type you stand on when you get out of the bath!!!!) as a substitute and told the chamber maids would sort it - they never did.

The whirlpool bath loooked nice enough but ejected all kinds of sinister looking hairs when it was switched on - scary.

An order for a morning paper was met with a blank look and then advice to go to the Spar on the high street if I wanted one - how helpful.

Finally breakfast. Total chaos - one waitress who seemed on the brink of a nervous breakdown (presumably due to complaints and overwork) because of the cold food and lack of plates and cutlery.

This is honestly the worst experience I've ever had in a hotel. So did I complain?

Of course not - I handed over my £90 without a grumble - I am British after all !!!

If this hotel is a three or two star hotel as it claims then Fawlty Towers is a five star.

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cornwall
Reviewed 2 May 2006

I tell you now that this hotel is soooo over priced its unbelievable!! I stayed there for one night only because the attitude of the man in charge there was beyond acceptable!! private car parking... yeah for 2 cars one being his. I'm sorry I couldnt give this place time of day!

• Stayed April 2006, travelled on business
7 Thank lesley1290
London
Reviewed 1 May 2006

We read the reviews here on Trip Advisor saying it had been under new management since Oct 2004, so we got booked into the Four Seasons by a national booking agency who told us it was a three star hotel.
Not a bit of it. The illuminated sign (right ouside our bedroom - No5 - window, and very bright) proclaimed two AA stars. I feel this is somewhat generous too. The tourist Information office says its star rating is actually under review at present.
Our first room - No5 - was at the top of the main stairway. The fire door was just outside our room and banged very loudly every time it shut. The main corridor serving the first floor was outside our bedroom door and very busy and we could clearly hear voices of all the people coming past, as well as every footstep along the corridor. The room was street facing and Aberystwyth on a Bank Holiday seems to suffer from boy racers in cars without silencers roaring past. It was so noisy that we were forced to ask to be moved to a quieter room, or we would not have slept much at all.
The new room - No8- was better, and was actually two rooms plus bathroom, but more importantly, at the back. The bathroom had a large whirlpool bath which we enjoyed. The room however had peeling wallpaper and the towels were so frayed, they would be rejected as donations by a charity shop.
The breakfast, as noted by other correspondants, was indeed most satisfactory. It was served buffet style, with tasty ingredients which I would guess to be local produce.
My overall impression of the Four Seasons was that its niche was as a cheaper seaside guest house. As a hotel (three star or otherwise) it was over-rated and over-priced at £75 for a double, even including breakfast.

• Stayed April 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank IT_BagMan
Derby
Reviewed 6 October 2004

The welcome was very good, the jacuzzi room a very special place and the breakfast something to be afraid of if your not a big eater. new owner getting it right.

6 Thank jonesy47
Reviewed 23 April 2003

We always stay at the Four Seasons Hotel when we go biking around Wales. It's one of the best we've ever been to. The food is delicious. The staff are very friendly. It's the best place to rest and put your feet up before starting off on another jaunt down the coast! A home from home.

2 Thank Sokil O