“Stunning Hotel”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Stunning Hotel”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We spent a fantastic break at a simply stunning hotel. The setting is fantastic with fabulous views down a valley towards Aberystwyth.
The staff were very friendly and accommodating.
The food was very tasty and made all the more enjoyable by the views through the large windows in the restaurant.
Parking was very easy and fabulous grounds to enjoy the lovely weather.
The only down point was the attitude of the cleaning staff who didn't service the rooms, but this didn't detract from a lovely and relaxing break.

Room Tip: Rooms 6&7 were extremely large with very spacious bathrooms.
1 Thank NickP001
NathanBiggs, Manager at Conrah Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
NickP001 many thanks for your kind words,

I am very happy at your experience at the Conrah and would like to assure you that the attitude of the cleaning staff is one that has been dealt with internally and is something that will not be tolerated. I hope to see you back at Conrah, Aberystwyth very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We stayed here for a night last weekend and would not hesitate to return if we are in the area.
Large pleasant bedroom (5) overlooking lovely garden.
Dinner was good if the menu a little safe. Breakfast very good with fresh fruit and yoghurt as well as a good selection of well cooked options.
Daily papers a nice touch as we rarely get time to read them so coffee in the lounge after Sunday breakfast with the Times was a treat.
Yes as some have suggested this hotel may be a little tired but its an old property and this is part of its charm
The drive is in a better state than most of the public roads in Worcestershire. we took the Lotus and it had no problems coping at all.
The gardens are a lovely spot to sit in and enjoy a pre (and post) dinner drink.
The staff are cheerful and the service was good throughout.

1 Thank Bollybat
Many thanks Bollybat for the amazing review,

I am so pleased to hear of your experience with us at the Conrah, I hope to see you again very soon
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Stopped in at this hotel today for afternoon tea, having seen the sign previously and looking at the website which seemed lovely. The road up to the hotel is dreary and looks unfinished, and there are half dead plants and grasses dotted around the place. The staff were welcoming and friendly - but this Hotel looks a dump, the inside is dark and dusty. Once settled in the 'bar' we thought that the furniture was scruffy and the place needed a good clean. Dead flies and half dead plants on the windowsill. The beer tasted funny and the coke was out of a bottle and a little flat.
All in all we won't be calling again, but we can recommend to the owners that a bit of spit and polish and some new furniture and decor would go along way.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emmaholl1973
Emmaholl1973,

Many thanks for the review, I can only say how shocked I was to read of your experience. We are constantly upgrading the hotel with regards to furniture and fittings, we have to do this on a priority basis and with the hotel being so busy we have to select timing so as to cause as little inconvenience to customers. I do find the "dump" comment very harsh and uncalled for. We cater for approximately 30 weddings per year averaging around 80 people none of whom have ever mentioned the beer tasting "funny" and I fail to understand how the coke could possibly be flat from a freshly opened 200ml glass bottle??
I am very sorry that we will not see you again at the Conrah
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Just come back from a weekend in wales staying at the Conrah Hotel which was absolutely fabulous.
On arrival we were welcomed by a very friendly receptionist who showed us to our room.
The room was fabulous and the views were even better.
We then went and sat in the grounds were the receptionist brought us our drinks.
The staff were very helpful, nothing was too much trouble.
We only booked in for bed and breakfast and the breakfast was excellent.
We will definitely go back again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Many thanks LesleyH for your beautiful review, I am over the moon that you have taken the time to review your wonderful stay with us. I look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Receptionist did a poor job of giving us any information (what so ever). Gave me wrong room for a booking I made 4-5 months ago. Bathroom had many hairs, drinking glass in room was dirty, shampoo bottle had already been used and not replaced. On returning to Hotel on my second day there were two people at front desk and neither bothered to say "hello". Room is old-fashioned which is what makes the class of the hotel, scenery is perfect and location is very quiet and easy.
Road into hotel needs work. Showers had very very little power. Shower gels/shampoo/water etc were not replenished. Upon leaving I wasn't even asked if I enjoyed my stay. Staff are very robotic and seem to have a air of 'I'm just here for the money'. Breakfast was the best part, no complaints there.
From experience and having completed a degree in the industry, I think it's fair to say the staff need serious training. Hotel was nice to look at from inside, and out but to be honest, that is the only thing it has going for it. My stay had far too many 'small issues' about it that it just ruined my stay, and for the price they charge, I expect much better.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Swimfan93
Swimfan93,

It was with great dismay that I read your comments. I apologise if the room was not as expected, there is no excuse for the problems highlighted. We are constantly upgrading our training for new staff and continue to grow. I do however find your critique of the staff very harsh, as you can read in hundreds of reviews across the internet our staff are nothing like you describe. I find it hugely difficult to believe any of the staff have a "just in it for the money" attitude. I think it is fair to say with the long hours compared to a modest salary, anyone with any incling of the industry realises that you have to be in the industry for the passion and be customer driven.

I sincerely hope to see you again and create an impression that we strive for each and every one of our wonderful regulars and new customers alike.
cheshire
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Such a lovely start to our touring holiday. Our room was huge with a view over the valley. Very relaxing, everyone was so friendly and helpful. We had a very nice Sunday dinner and an excellent breakfast in the airy and bright dining room. Absolute bliss to wake up to such a wonderful view. Excellent value.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
NathanBiggs, General Manager at Conrah Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Pjproperty,

It was with great pleasure I read your review of the Conrah. I sincerely hope the rest of your tour was as wonderful.
Bexley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

A very warm welcome from Fleur on arrival who also assisted with our luggage. We were shown to a spacious room with stunning views over the gardens and the 'dotted with sheep' Vale of Ystwyth. Many thanks to the Chef who provided us with imaginative and delicious dinners and breakfasts during our two-day stay and many thanks also to Hereth for the excellent service. (Cyffyyllog, in your review you mention frozen chips - I think you are mistaken!) Crisp, white tablecloths, linen napkins and hot plates all added to the pleasure of eating in the restaurant. The bar area and lounge are also comfortably furnished. The staircase and entrance hall have been thoughtfully refurbished and its old-world charm retained - especially the stained glass windows. We wish we could have stayed longer as it was a pleasure being in such a tranquil environment with happy and courteous staff. Regrettably we had to leave but we will never forget our short break at The Conrah. Thank you.

Room Tip: We had Room 8 which has a separate little sitting room, large bed and stunning views.
Elaine1188932,

Many thanks for the wonderful words, we are so pleased our staff (particularly the ladies mentioned) made your stay so special. I hope you get the chance to visit us again very soon.