“short break bargain”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“short break bargain”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We have recently spent two nights at the Conrah. The hotel is in an excellent location, beautiful views, friendly staff and very comfortable.The breakfasts were varied and of a good quality. We had one evening meal as part of our deal and enjoyed this. Hope to stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms seamed to be good.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My colleague and I were lucky enough to stay at this beautiful hotel for four days during a business trip. We worked during the day and also had to work until the early hours every night. Each staff member of the hotel couldn’t do enough for us; they brought us tea and coffee to keep us going whilst we were working and nothing was too much trouble no matter what time it was. We enjoyed a lovely peaceful breakfast every day. The food was excellent whether we had a bar snack or dinner in the restaurant it was always delicious and well presented. The staff were very polite, courteous and really cared about us. Our rooms were lovely too and very clean. I would certainly recommend a stay at this hotel; we will definitely be returning should the chance arise. Well done to all the staff and management at the Conrah!

Room Tip: My colleague and I stayed in rooms 7 and 8.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Llanelli, UK
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed here with my wife on a 2 night special deal, 2 nights b&b, one evening meal for £99. First impressions were good. The hotel is in an excellent location with fantastic views of rolling countryside. Staff at registration were quick and helpful. I told them we would be having dinner at the hotel on the second night. The room was clean and spacious, although the furniture seemed that nothing matched (room 1). The bed was the worst I have experienced, with a thin mattress and squeaky farme. The grand old building with period features has been extended over the years, unsympathetically, with flat roof single storey add ons completely out of character with the rest of the building.
Breakfast each morning was average at best. The dinner we had one night was reasonable value, I paid an extra £6 for a sirloin steak, over and above the £22 for 3 courses.
The service at dinner was however, unacceptable. I ordered soup. there were no soup spoons so I asked the waiter for one and he seemed a little confused. He returned with a soup spoon, along with one for the diner at the next table, also having soup.
My steak came without a steak knife, again I had to ask for one. I'm aware that there had been a few staff off sick and others were filling in but for staff to have such little knowledge is not good enough. I have never been served a steak and had to ask for a knife.
Worse was to come on check-out. It's a good thing I checked the bill before paying. They tried to charge me for the 2 nights b&b I had already paid for, and given a voucher over to pay for this on arrival. They also tried to charge me for dinner on the first night, when we had eaten elsewhere and on arrival I specifically told them this and I saw the receptionist cross our names off a list. A new computer system was blamed for this error, the usual excuse!
All in all we got reasonable value for money but there were too many negatives to recommend this place and we will not return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Reeveew
cardiff
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

As a couple we travel to north wales twice a year with work and have chosen to stay at the Conrah on our last few visits, mainly because it never disappoints. The rooms are spacious and well kept, the views across countryside are spectacular and the beds we've slept in have always been very comfortable. We haven't had the chance to sample an evening meal yet as our work means we are usually back to the hotel too late, but the breakfast has consistently been fantastic. If I'm honest though the real treat at this hotel is the the hospitality. We're lucky enough to sample hotels all over the world with our jobs and have learnt the hard way that even the most expensive hotels can lose your custom and respect by falling short on simple service issues but this hotel really has got it right. Everyone is warm and friendly, they can't do enough for you, and should something not be right, far from making you feel like a fool for pointing it out, they will bend over backwards to accommodate/ resolve the issue. Well done Conrah! See you soon!!

• Stayed February 2014
carmarthen
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Beautiful views. Our room had a big bay window with views looking towards the mountains. Even in Feb looked wonderful. Very pleasant and helpful staff. Very nice dinner in restaurant. Had a really hearty full Welsh breakfast in the morning. Altogether a very pleasant break.

• Stayed February 2014
Shropshire, England
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We stopped here following an applicant day for our daughter at Aberystwyth university. Our room was lovely, spacious and clean. The bath was really large. The hotel has stunning views. We eat out at a lot if high quality restaurants, and can say that the evening mealw a as delicious. Breakfast was excellent with lots of choice. The best thing however was the helpfulness, friendliness and good service given by the staff. Will definitely be staying again.

Stayed February 2014
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay- very friendly and helpful staff. Both check in and check out went smoothly. Staff offered to carry my cases to my room. The food was very good and tasty with a good choice of evening meal. Breakfast was also good with lovely views over the distant hills in the dining room. My room (8) was very spacious and very warm- cosy during those 108mph winds. The room had a very comfortable bed with plenty of good quality pillows; two televisions and sofa; lovely views over the hills at the back of the hotel; good quality furnishings with the much appreciated tea making facilities and mugs ( not the usual horrible small cups and saucers.) I appreciated the heating on constant as in some hotels at this time of year, rooms are cold. There is ample parking space and all on the flat to entrance of the hotel. I stay in many hotels as part of my work and interests and this hotel I would want to revisit either on my own or with my husband. It was lovely staying in a quiet area with the hotel in its own grounds and far enough away from the main road to Aberystwyth. It is only a 10 minute drive to Aberystwyth but can take longer during the rush hours of weekdays. I would highly recommend.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business