“conrah hotel”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“conrah hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed 4 nights at the Conrah hotel, it was a lovely old-fashioned hotel, very comfortable, lovely airy public rooms and the bedrooms a good size. We were on the top floor and the room no 9 looked out over the countryside, beautiful views. The service by the staff was excellent. We eat in once in the evening and the food was good, breakfasts were also good, served by very helpful staff. We would definitely stay there again should we visit Aberystwyth..

Room Tip: The owners have only been there a couple of years and are gradually decorating and refurnishing the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Miskin, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I booked this Hotel as a surprise for my son and daughter in laws anniversary.
My parents live nearby so over the years I have always thought this hotel would be a lovely place to stay.
How wrong I was.
I had a text from my son saying the room was horrid and dirty. They requested to move rooms but told me the 2nd room was indeed better but in no way clean. Hairs everywhere, dirty floor in bathroom. A young lad was set to the room to clean it. The carpets in the hotel are threadbare, the whole place is extremely tired and needs money spent on it. Certainly not worth the price we paid. My son has photos on his phone and as soon as I work out how to upload them I will do so.
Naturally we all found this upsetting especially as it was a special occasion for them.
The staff were very apologetic, the breakfast was good and the gardens were nice.
I have contacted the Conrah and told them I would be writing a negative review, they are looking into the matter. I feel that the hotel should not put guests into rooms that are in such bad condition, they must know what they are like.
Very disappointing, I now wish I had booked the Harbourmaster in Aberaeron.

1 Thank molly437
Uckfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed here for four nights while my daughter was visiting friends in Aber.

When I arrived I was given a free upgrade to one of the rooms in the block around the back. This was a really nice spacious room with views across the hills, sheep grazing etc. It had one of the most powerful showers I have ever come across but only a small screen so you had to be careful about not getting water on the floor. The heating was still on, there were comfy chairs and a decent TV.

It is worth mentioning that this room had no internet access at all. There is free Wi Fi in the main building but this does not extend to the outside rooms.

One big bonus was the large car park where my prized motor was able to have a huge space all to itself. There were five choices for starter / main / pud and I was able to have a different one of each, each night and they were all delicious! The vegetables very fresh and not overcooked.

The staff were all very pleasant and helpful and I am sure that I shall stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank 911euf
Llangynidr, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

The hotel grounds are beautiful, we really enjoyed walking around the woods and gardens with our dog Sadie. Sadie was very impressed with the blanket for her to sleep on and the food bowls provided in our room.
We were lucky enough to have one of the rooms that had already been refurbished, it was very comfortable and nicely decorated.
We ate dinner in the hotel the day we arrived. The menu had a good choice of food. What we chose was delicious and good value.
We would definately stay here again when we are in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Redditch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

My visit was for work purposes and after a long drive I was given a lovely room overlooking the sheep and fields. Towelling robes in the room were a lovely touch and nothing was too much trouble. I will definitely stay again when back in the area. Nathan made me feel like a guest in his home rather than a hotel. I am writing this whilst sitting in the window seat of my room. Lovely. Please don't update too much or you risk losing the charm.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jane M
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

A great weekend away with our dog. A flat £10.00 charge extremely reasonable. Stayed in one of the cottages, probably because of our four legged friend but no issues, lovely fresh aroma, very comfortable room and bed, we had 2 excellent nights sleep. The hotel overall is very well decorated and ALL the staff are very pleasant and friendly. Had checked reports before going and were concerned but very VERY pleased we had booked. A truly dog friendly hotel but non doggie guests would also have no concerns re a visit. We had a great weekend - many thanks.

2 Thank Angela B
Marlborough, Wiltshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Having booked a luxury double room we expected better. The room was spacious and comfortable but quite dated with a badly stained carpet. Our room was in an annex towards the back of the hotel with various shabby buildings around, presumably not for guests. Parking was good outside the annex rooms and views of the well kept gardens and beyound were great.
The back of the hotel was unnatractive and needs some attention. In bad weather one would have to brave the elements to get to the main house. The public rooms were a big improvement and breakfasts were fine. We dined in on one of our two evenings and the food was freshly cooked but the menu uninspiring. We had a table to ourselves sited in the lounge with again great views, the dining room was taken by guests booked in for a wedding taking place next day. The hotel clearly does good business with weddings and in fact the hotel was entirely booked for the wedding with no other guests on the wedding day. We were told that the rooms are gradually being refurbished and although we didn't see other rooms I feel the 'luxury' rooms should have had priority to justify the price paid.

5 Thank Brib0