“Most relaxing weekend ever!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Conrah Hotel

Conrah Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Most relaxing weekend ever!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2006

After reading some of the reviews on here, I was a bit hesitant at booking this hotel, but a friend of mine had informed me that there were new owners there, (who I know found out, own and run Harry's in the town). I have stayed there previously and was more than happy to book the Conrah. Beautiful house, the gardens and landscape that surround it are wonderful. The views from the dining room made breakfast and dinner a delightful experience. The interior is befitting a Country House, especially the relaxing reading rooms. I booked a double room with breakfast and dinner for my fiance and I to relax and unwind for the weekend. When we arrived we were immediately made to feel so welcome and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. We had a room decorated in warm red undertones, new bathroom spotless, very clean and tastefully done. We also had a view of the gardens and hills beyond. The food I have to say was one of best I have had in a Hotel, always being reluctant to eat in-house, I can only say you will not be disappointed. And breakfast......well what can i say. Just how breakfast should be served, quality, hot and good timing. To start, I had yoghurt with home-grown raspberry compote, which Li (the fab and charasmatic owner) informed me had picked from their garden that morning....yes i agree raspberries in November, but she suggested I visit the garden to see for myself. And so i did. she was right! We also had dinner which was a real treat, the food was mouth watering and well presented and HOT, and left us feeling very satisified. We slept so well that we almost missed breakfast! Couldn't do that!

I have to say it is an effort to write a review, but after my stay and the effort put in by the owner and her staff it's the least i could do.
I will most definitely be going back sometime next year and would whole heartedly recommend the Conrah!
Enjoy.

Ceri Frazier
Hereford

Stayed November 2006
3 Thank 1stBaygirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2006

I stayed at the Conrah on two occasions, and am happy to say that my experience was great. The staff are friendly and courteous, they all know your name.

On my first stay, I had an upper room that was quaint but the mattress not as comfortable as my own, but on the second visit I had a much nicer room.

The breakfast was WONDERFUL!! A true country breakfast, served up quickly and very well done.

If you are planning a visit to Aberystwyth and you have transportation, this is a great place to stay. Although, f you don't have a car, the Conrah will gladly ring a taxi for you. I let them know the night before what time I would need a taxi the next morning, and it was there.

Lovely.

• Liked — Comfort
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AngelaDM
Northwich, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2006

Staying on business at Aberystwyth I didnt want to stay in the usual holiday hotels in town. Apart from low or non-existant star ratings they have little or no parking either. Google found me this hotel. The hotel is several miles outside the town - you need your own transport. Ariving at the hotel, there is ample parking, it is well signposted from the main road too. The hotel is on a hillside with good views accross the countryside - also there seem to be gardens that can be explored if the weather is good. Inside the public rooms are well furnished - better than I expected. Several rooms to relax in. Free newspapers and magazines. Didnt try the bar. Dinner was excellent. £25 for two courses £30 for three. Good wine list including reasonable wine byt theglass at fair prices (and bottles too). The room I stayed in didnt have a view (but obviously all of them can't). The room itself was larger than I expected - as was the bathroom. Nice quality dark wod furniture - not reproduction. Fancy bed with swags and so on above the headboard. Two comfy cahirs, plenty of clothes storage space. Nothing much in the way of desk space though if you are on businsess - although there was a dataport on the telephone. Only other criticism of the room is carpet in the bathroom. - tiles are best for bathrooms surely. Breakfast - cooked to perfection and eaten in a dinning room with a superb view. My understanding is that the hotel has changed hands recently - the new owners being the people that own Harry's in town. Would I go there again - most definately.

• Liked — lgreat food
  • Disliked — carpet in the bathroom
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank coopej4
Dorset, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2005

The Conrah is a charming building set in spectacular scenery. The lounges are comfortable and it is very quiet and relaxing. Our room was 'deluxe' but we were not sure what made it so and it had no view, although rooms at the front of the hotel have wonderfull views. Our table both at dinner and breakfast was next to the kithen with a wicked draught through the kitchen doors. Tables near the window have a view. The routine is to be shown to the bar where you wait until your table is ready. We arrived at 8.15 and waited an hour to be seated for dinner. They only seem to be able to deal with one table at a time. The food was O.K. but not wonderful. Why does a country house hotel not have porridge on the menu for breakfast?

The proprietor was very friendly and sorted out little problems promptly.

It was, however, a very relaxing visit and these may seem niggles but at the price it should be better.

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank CJ&SA
Naples, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2005

Our stay at the Conrah was all around fantastic. The location is unbeatable; on our first day at the hotel we took a long walk in the surrounding rolling hills, the green, the sheep, the sunset, just splendid. Our room was very roomy, with a separate 'living room' and a spacious bathroom. The lobby of the hotel is elegant and comfortable. Perhaps the best part of our stay was the meal, the food is superb, the best we had in our month tour of the UK.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank ticosticos
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2005

We chose to stay at the Conrah Country Hotel as it sounded elegant without being OTT. The photos of the bedroom on the website looked lovely.
The entrance and lounges are very good with log fire and plenty of seating. However our bedroom was very disappointing - with candlewick bedspread and nylon pink floral eiderdown, not at all like the photo, and awful pink bathroom with crochet loo roll holder!! At £150/night I expected better, and it could so easily been better, the fundamentals were there but the room was stuck in the 1960's, the only positive things I can say about our room was it was a reasonable size and spotlessly clean. The location is perfect, but don't take your swimming costume as the pool is not worth a visit, with green dripping ceiling and sauna out of order.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2005

We stayed at the Conrah Hotel over xmas. We found it to be a little over priced and too far out of Aberystwyth. Food was ok but nothing special. We love Aberystwyth, but will probably give the Conrah a miss next time round.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member