“Old World Charm & Grace”

and 1 more site!
Plas Y Dderwen Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 36 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
Melbourne
“Old World Charm & Grace”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This is the first time we have ever stayed at a B&B and we could not have chosen better. Caryl, the owner and hostess, was charming, friendly welcoming. The house is about 150 years old and has been kept in it's old world style with ornate furniture and fittings and is immaculately presented. We had a very large first floor room with big bay windows overlooking a farm field. Bathroom was huge with a separate wardrobe and dressing area. The whole ambiance of the place is luxury and tranquility. My wife enjoyed just sitting in the bay window looking out across the meadow. The house is about 150 yards off the main road so traffic noise is not a problem and sleep quality was good in a large comfortable bed.

Room Tip: I don't know what the other rooms were like but our upstairs room at the front was excellent.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karl S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cap d'Ail, France
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed here in the family suite, we were traveling with our adult daughter so Caryl put an extra bed in the room. Beautifully comfortable. Lovely walk in wardrobe area and beautiful spacious bathroom after that with a lovely claw feet bath. We could sit and have tea and cookies in the suite. Totally luxury. Magnificent staircase and chandelier. We had a beautiful view of the fountain in front and the fields beyond. Not far from the town. In the morning they served a copious full breakfast on fine china. We loved it and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Family suite
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Magg06
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed at Plas Y Dderwen for a long weekend break away from London in the self contained cottage. I phoned ahead prior to my arrival, (which I would recommend to get proper directions) and I was greeted very welcomingly by Caryl and her daughter, my hosts, who made me feel instantly at ease and at home. She offered me a nice cold beer on my arrival and on a hot day it felt like she had read my mind. As a previous reviewer pointed out the B&B does put many a 5* hotel to shame, I would describe it best as a boutique small hotel. The level of service and attention to detail was incredible, as no request was too much for Caryl who has to take the praise as the most dedicated hostess I have ever come across.

I found the interior of the house to be luxurious and tastefully decorated. with the elegant staircase and the grand piano and spinning wheel in particular providing a classic timeless charm. Caryl's local knowledge proved invaluable as she recommended places to see, eat at and vist in the town center which were all equally excellent. The cottage itself is well furnished with a quaint rustic feel with all the mod cons, the bed was firm and comfortable and I slept well. The views and scenary are majestic and working in the city for weeks on end it was welcoming to wake up to green grass and fresh air with cows grazing blissfuly in the field. Overall I will definately be returning to this hidden gem very soon.

Room Tip: I would recommend booking the main suite in the house, it appeared to be large and spacious with a p...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank RonnyL L
Luxembourg
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

Not the cheapest B and B but boy, it's the best. Absolutely faultless in every particular, from the welcome, to the appointments of the room, to the sumptuous breakfast.
This house puts many a hotel to shame. If you want the best, you just found it..

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank euroboyLuxembourg
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Situated on an acre of land on the outskirts of Aberystwyth, Plas Y Dderwen is set well back from the main road, overlooking a lush meadow and adjacent hillside. Billed as 5 star, it seems no expense has been spared to create a luxurious setting - chandeliers, magnificent staircase, even a grand piano in the foyer. We stayed two nights in the Ystwyth Suite, a generously proportioned room (about three times the size of the room at our previous lodgings). Located upstairs, the suite had a large adjoining dressing room which led through to a huge bathroom. Whilst there was no shower as such, there was a quaint old style bath tub with ball and claw feet. In addition to the king size bed which was extremely comfortable, the bedroom area also had a couple of comfy chairs and a small dropside table which allowed us to relax with a cup of tea in the privacy of our room. Our friendly host Caryl cooked up a delicious breakfast each day and, as you would expect, elegantly served on Royal Albert china!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WayneandFaye
Lincoln
Reviewed 8 June 2013

perfect relaxing overnight break with superb breakfast, only two tiny little things, we stayed in the suite, the dressing room had cobwebs on the ceiling and the fan above the bath is very dusty.be aware there are builders in at the moment, didn't bother us but may some.booked again for September.

• Stayed June 2013
Pembroke Dock, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We would like to thank the guest house owners for such a wonderful stay.

My partner booked the accomodation without me knowing as a surprise for our 5th anniversary! I must say I was blown away! The whole experience was wonderful.

We were shown round our room, which was "a suite" it was a very spacious room. Next to it was a gorgeous dressing room type area, then the bathroom (stunning).

The whole decore of the place was beautiful. Gorgeous stairway with chandeliers, the outside area was lovely with a gorgeous view. I felt like I was in a 5 star hotel!

The service and breakfast in the morning was perfect! Could not be more friendly and attentive.

I will definatly visit again as we LOVE coming back to aberystwyth!

Thank you again, good luck with the business.
Laura and Jamie