“Room for improvement”
Review of Harry's Hotel

Harry's Hotel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We booked this hotel as a stop off from New quay to our other destination.

Accommodation was disappointing. The room had mismatch furniture, ripped chair seats, no fridge, no bath, broken TV control and there were no blackout blinds which I believe are essential when you have a street light in the direction of your window. It is a shame as there is a lot of potential for the rooms and they are spacious; however they felt unloved and there is a blatant lack of care and attention. On the plus side the bed was very comfortable.

The service in the morning was very welcoming and friendly and it was nice to have different herbal teas and a choice of breakfast . Juice glasses were too small and breakfast itself ( apart from scrambled egg) wasn't great as it was overcooked and cheap meat. Quiet music may be recommended as the area was very large and dark and needed some ambiance.

I would have rated it as average but did not feel it was worth £75 and was not a deluxe room when I paid £50 the night before in a popular destination with a lovely room, sea view and nice breakfast.

Room Tip: Do not pay full price for the deluxe room
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 August 2012

Having read some previous reviews we weren't sure what to expect but were very pleasantly surprised. Our room (14) was 2 bedrooms plus a sitting room and was spacious, clean and recently refurbished. We had to go through the rabbit warren to get to it and yes the sloping floors do cause gaps in the doorways but that was part of the charm. Breakfast was fine and the staff were polite and helpful. We did eat one night in the Bistro and can thoroughly recommend the home made baileys chocolate mousse served in a Guinness glass. We would definitely stay at Harrys again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2012

2nd time we have stopped here at Harrys, it's well located in the town centre with a short walk to the beach/promenade. Rooms are perfectly clean and a good size. It's an old building so expect sloping floors but everything inside is modern, clean and well equipped. Ours came with a sofa area, a friend ended up in a family room which seemed to have 2 bedrooms and a reception room! There's quite a lot of stairs and I don't remember a lift which was fine for us but might not be great for those of limited mobility. The hotel is attached to a bar/pub which serves reasonably priced, decent quality food and although some might be put off by being next to / above a bar we haven't had any noise disturbance on either occasion we stopped so haven't seen it as an issue really. There's a modest sized car park (maybe room for 6-8 cars I guess) which is a bonus if you manage to get a space as parking seems to be at a bit of a premium in the town itself. Reception staff were friendly and efficient. No hassle with anything at all. Will definitely stay here again when visiting west Wales

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Lively old building with uneven floors as you would expect and no lift which may upset some people but hey the exercise is good for you. Rooms were not beautiful but they were clean and we could smell fresh sheets when we first opened the door. The shower was mould free and powerful. Two complaints the two front bars had the TV tuned to football all the time I hate football and did not want to stay too long having a drink there (the barman seemed to love football however as he was glued). The Bistro food was too pub grub nothing to entice one to eat there. The menu needs to be reviewed. Breakfast was good and Sophie who looked after us and the chief worked very hard to keep up with the demand. Best thing of all was the Italian restaurant Little Italy across the rood the food was superb.

Room Tip: Middle floor is best far enough away from the bar not to notice street/traffic. Very run down town...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Katherine J
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Thank you for your review and the feedback you have given. We will work on the points you have mentioned and try to make your next experience in Harry’s more enjoyable, I do hope to see you again soon.

Kellie
Manager

Reviewed 31 May 2012

I stayed at Harry's for one night whilst collecting my daughter from university. The room (10) even though it was a single was tiny, once I had put my bag on the floor I could not walk to to the kettle/TV as my bag was in the way!!!! The building itself is like a rabbit warren with sloping floors and walls leaning into each other, could be classed a quaint I suppose. We finally found it to my room and I joked to my daughter and her boyfriend we should have left a trail of bread crumbs to find our way back.

The small single bed which filled the room was quite comfy but given the child size wardrobe I was glad I was not staying for any longer!!!! The hair-dryer is no where near a mirror so not sure how that is suppose to work, I am a female so do prefer to dry my hair with a visual reference.

The view from the sash window with the paint peeling off it was over the roof tops of back streets, an old soggy sweatshirt was the central bit of art on one particular roof. The biggest disappointment and what in the end made me mention all of the above to the mangers was that the light switch above the bed was covered in a milky white film, did not want to ask what or how.....

The staff team when I spoke to them about all of this were OK and did try to find me another room but in the end I settled for the light switch being cleaned. We actually ate in the bistro that night as well. The food was good posh pub grub, until that is my daughter found something very hard in her sticky toffee pudding, the waitress picked it up in her fingers, we sent the plate away, no one could tell us what it was but thought it could be nuts that had got into the mixture when the cake was being made. I had hammered it with the spoon and it did not break so not sure how that could have been a nut. Worst still tried to charge us for a half eaten dessert.

Would I stay again...not if there is somewhere else available.

Room Tip: If you are a lone travel try NOT to get room 10
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 May 2012

On the plus side, we had a lovely room which was surprisingly quiet given the bar below. It was very relaxing and well placed close to the seafront. I couldn't fault the accommodation. The staff were friendly.

On the downside, they need more staff. Breakfast on both days was completely chaotic. One person appeared to be doing everything - taking orders, restocking the buffet, dealing with reception.
We waited about 40 minutes for breakfast. It's also difficult to get back in the hotel at times!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2012

This was the worst food experience that I have ever had. The bar food was disgusting.... fish pie that was a 'sloppy' mess. One person in our party had fish and chips and they had been cremated. Also. it appears that a great deal of their food is microwaved. We were eating in the restaurant side but because it is open plan, it was also open to the bar customers who were watching a football match and the noise that was being made was ridiculous. Double problem being unpleasant food and unpleasant setting. This is my bad experience at Harry's and will not be going back there again, even if it was paid for.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business