“invaded privacy”
Review of Harry's Hotel

Harry's Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed here 09/02/14 and cant say we were impressed... Our room was at the back of Hotel and we had the constant noise of Air con units and fans which were just outside the bedroom window ,hardly slept, we've never felt so tired the next day... Other guests were (mistakenly) given our room card and just barged into our room while my Girlfriend was in bed around 11pm! Then the maintenance man let himself into our room at 8.15 am while we were still in bed!! very distressing for my girlfriend as you can imagine! it was reported to staff but they didn't seem that bothered... also the room was unclean... fluff on the floor/carpet, dried blood and possibly nail varnish? on the bed / valance sheets.... Sorry Harry's this was our 2nd visit, don't think we'll be back...

Room Tip: Try and get a room at front of hotel maybe? and put your cases in front of door to stop unwelcome vi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MrsD1965

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed one night in a double and single. Single had a leaking radiator and daughter ended up sleeping in our room for the night. That said when reception were told in the morning, we were only charged for the one room. Bar is busy..very busy when the rugby is on! We had a double on first floor at front of hotel. The noise issues were more to do with the locals having a banter out on the streets until the wee small hours! Rooms clean and a good size. Beds comfy. Little parking at the rear of the hotel and in a 4x4 was a nightmare to get in and out of. Breakfast was good. Overall a value for money stay if you are looking at staying a couple of nights in Aber.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Davina S
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Found this hotel a warm, clean, friendly place. Would highly recommend the breakfast. Pleasant, informal manner and order pretty much what you want. Pleasant stay, but we were at the back on the first floor and WOW!!! the noise. Fans, fridges and aircon units. Bloody hell the noise, but don't let this stop you staying here. It really was a nice haul out and very central.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bobby C
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Rang to enquire about the menu available on a Sunday and nobody on duty knew if the offered a roast only or the full menu- I was asked to ring back, so I asked them to find out which roasts would be available so that I could let my friends know the choices. Rang back and they confirmed it was just a roast but didn't know which meats. I booked for a group and was told any table of 5 or more required a pre-order. Hours later they rang with a menu and confirmed I had to pre-order starters and mains by Friday. I got organised and rang back only to be told by a very surly guy to 'ring back later, now isn't good', before I could respond he'd hung up.
When I did get through I was told that they don't take pre-orders for groups of less than 10- but I'd gone to the trouble of getting it so passed it on.
When the group arrived we had a table in a dark side room completely devoid of any atmosphere with no backround music whatsoever. Nobody came to see if we wanted any wine or water for the table.
After a while food arrived- I misheard the waitress, thinking she'd asked who was having the pate (that was what she had held in her hand) and when I said I'd ordered Risotto she snapped 'Yes, that is what I said' and let out a very theatrical sigh, then dropped my meal in front of me. As it was, it was more of a tinned rice pudding with added salt and bacon rind than a smoked bacon risotto- I managed to eat a few fork fulls and gave up. The other two starters were edible.
When mains arrived we had to ask for cutlery (as it wasn't replaced after the starters were cleared) and she dumped three forks at my elbow. I eventually got up to find knives myself.

The mains were dreadful- overcooked veg, overcooked meat that tasted like rubber and grey gravy with a watery ring around each plate. I think it was the same gravy for all three meats- not that it tasted of anything anyway. I would say it was of an equal standard to a value micro meal from a budget chain store. The friend having lamb had to ask for mint sauce even though it was stated on the menu that it came with the lamb.
It took ages to clear the dirty plates and despite only 1 of the group having a clean plate the waitress didn't bother to enquire about the meal/ experience.
When it came to paying the bill we had to chase the staff for it and a few minutes later the same waitress collected the money with the words 'are you done then?' giving the distinct impression that our presence had been as miserable an experience for her as it was for us, and that she could not wait to get us out.

Room Tip: Just don't bother
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank M J
harryshotel, Manager at Harry's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thank you for your review. I apologise for your experience at harrys's Bistro. We like to pride ourselves on our frindly customer service, so thank you for bring your experince to my attention. It will be reviewed and the situation addressed.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

This is a centrally located hotel close to the shops and within an easy walk of the sea. It is also above a very noisy student bar with a late night clientelle. We were on the second floor so not as bothered by noise as other reviewers who used the first floor.

In listing negatives it may sound that I didn't like this hotel - it was fine for one night and we will use again, but...

Other reviewers and their website says you can ring ahead and reserve parking. We tried to do this and were told very firmly that they did not have car parking. This was a nuisance as there was a farmers Christmas market taking, during the day at least, all the on street parking outside. When we walked to the back of the hotel there was an area that looked very much like a car park. I guess the person we spoke to must have been confused.

Our room was simply furnished, but very clean and quite welcoming. It "enjoyed" a steep slope so you sleep with your feet higher than your head! I dropped a bottle of contact lense fluid in the bathroom and rolled under the bathroom door and to the end of the bedroom! Of more annoyance however was that the door to the room had a "borrowed" light over it, with a landing safety light outside, which despite a rudimentary blind allowed light through - this is in addition to the front of the hotel having a "colourwash" lighting system outside. If you need darkness to sleep then this could be an issue with the room we had.

Breakfast was served in the pub area, which first thing in the morning had a strong smell of cleaning fluid and disinfectant. It was very clean! The breakfast was cooked to order and fine, as were the staff we met throughout.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank youf for your comments and feedback. To let your know that I have been around to the rooms and and looked at the ones that have borrwed light, and have asked the maintenace department to find ways of cutting it out.

Harrys hotel is an old building and with that comes the occasional sloping floor, we hope that this adds to the character.

Regarding the car park, we have a limited number of spaces which i'm afraid is a first come first serve basis. In the evenings there is usually on street parking.

Look forward to seeing you again.

Manager

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We've stayed in this hotel several times whilst visiting our daughter at university and it's always been OK. Our biggest mistake this time was being tempted into booking a 'Luxury Room' (words from their own website) at a premium price. The luxury room was on the first floor which seemed fine but the HIDDEN PROBLEM is that the music from the bar made it IMPOSSIBLE TO SLEEP until 1:00 am! I say hidden because there is no warning on the website or when checking in that this room (4) is unusable if you come back before the next morning, which I suspect would apply to all first floor rooms.
I'm as keen on loud music as anyone on the planet but not in my hotel room.......AT MIDNIGHT! If a neighbour made that much noise they'd have an ASBO or whatever they give out now.

When I mentioned this to the receptionist at checkout she instantly halved our bill, so it seems that if you just live with the disturbance you pay the full price but if you mention it you pay half price. What a strange system to operate, and not one that encourages customer satisfaction. Not with me any way.

So, to summarise:
A very noisy room with no warning, for which you pay a premium price unless you complain, and then your bill is slashed so that you're suddenly happy again. BRILLIANT!!! I wonder why more hotels don't adopt this business plan. It looks like a winner to me.

By the way. I left my contact details with the receptionist to give the manager a chance to talk about all of this before leaving my review, but guess what..........that's right, no-one bothered even to call.

Room Tip: Never choose a first floor room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
harryshotel, Owner at Harry's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

I sincerely apologise for your experience at Harry's. I am pleased that the receptionist tried to rectify the situation. Unfortunately the manager has been unable to contact you due to ill health.
If you do choose to stay with us again, we are able to offer you a quieter room in the hotel.
We hope to see you again

Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

My partner and I were utterly disgusted that we refused breakfast by the 'head chef' because we got down to the breakfast room @ 9.57am. They officially stopped serving @ 10.00am. Am I right in my assumption therefore that 9.57 is actually BEFORE 10.00am...???!?. This is the first time in hundreds of visits I have made to b&b's that this has happened and it's quite rude & pathetic. The attitude of the individual in question was also appalling. Although the other staff were very accommodating and the rooms were nice and comfortable, I have no option but to mark the place right down because of the breakfast issue.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mikebarso

Thank you for letting us know about your experience regarding breakfast.
I can offer my sincerest apologies, I gather the front of house staff offered cereal and toast, but apparently the kitchen had closed down.
It is our policy that we are accommodate to 10am breakfast requests with a packed breakfast to go. Thank you for bringing it to our attention, and we will address this issue.
We hope to see you again soon.