“Great Ales”

Ranked #40 of 152 Restaurants in Aberystwyth
Cuisines: British
“Great Ales”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

My favourite pub in all of Wales hands down, with a brilliant selection of ales that always change and Black dragon of tap. Always popular at night, calmer during the day which is the perfect time to have a couple of pints and play pool. The Ale and Cider festival is fantastic looking forward to the next one,
Staff are always friendly

• Visited May 2013

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Nice pub”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Nicely decorated popular pub with a good selection of real ale. When we visited it was out of term time so we had no problem getting seats but suspect it may get very busy at other times. Staff were friendly and it made a great place to spend a couple of hours. Would go again!

• Visited January 2013
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Pub in Aberystwyth”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Great choice of beers; the ones that I tried were in excellent condition. Comfy bar and friendly staff.

Visited December 2012
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Quite simply, the best pub in Aberystwyth”
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Forever changing fantastic selection of real ale, great conversation and mixed age clientele. The focus is on live rugby and of course on games where Wales is playing, though football is also shown when there's no rugby. Grea landlord and very well trained staff.

Visited December 2012
Belgium
“Bad cider & Disappointing service”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I've come here regularly for years when visiting family in Aber. It serves good real ale, marred a little by the smell of disinfectant and rather noisy atmosphere (sports TV and local students/RAs). It's hard to have a conversation and seating is geared to large groups.

Unfortunately I usually drink cider not beer. The pint of Stowford Press I had last week was off (it's my usual at home so I know how it should taste). The staff were off-hand, said nobody else had complained and made no offer to replace it (I left the undrunk pint with them, it was vile, it even smelt nauseating but they didn't bother to smell it when I pointed this out).

I have never been treated so poorly when complaining about bad beer - and as a drinker of in-house scrumpy for decades, I have taken many pints back, usually to be given a replacement cheerfully.

The young man behind the bar tasted my cider, said it always tasted like that, and when I said it must be stored worse than in my local, he just walked away. It may have been cleaning materials left in the glass or a dirty glass, which can spoil a drink - I pointed this out but got no reply (this could account for it tasting ok through a straw and horrible if you put your nose in the glass and take a sip).

We may go again as the beer is good and it's convenient to walk to, but this really put me off. It hardly costs much to be civil, and a genuine complaint usually merits a replacement drink for the one that clearly has not been drunk. Did they think I complained for fun? DISAPPOINTING to be treated like dirt after ten years coming here!

• Visited August 2012