“Great!”

Belle Vue Royal Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This hotel had to put me up last minute, due to a problem with my hotel booking elsewhere. On arrival, the receptionist was very helpful and considerate, and room was lovely, and the breakfast in the morning was great, and the staff were very friendly. The view was stunning from the restaurant. I would recommend the hotel, but I can't comment on the value, as the other hotel I had booked with had to cover the difference in price.

Room Tip: Book this hotel if you can!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Belle Vue Royal Hotel

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Had an excellent room with a sea view.
Although the hotel is 3*, the quality is 4*.
Parking at the rear is tight and difficult to access because of the one way system.
Breakfast was brilliant. Staff very welcoming and customer focused.
I would stay again and will recommend it to friends!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Stayed here on a wet weekday in January. Was put up by local organisers of a meeting. At reception, was given twin room with no view. Frosted glass window. One small radiator only (which was off when I arrived). Chilly room never really warmed up. Accommodations looked tired, but all was clean and functional. Free wifi in all rooms.

Dinner was perfectly ok. Meal in the bar overlooking the sea front.

Breakfast in the Ocean room. Most guests appeared to be single men, I am guessing some modern equivalent of commercial travellers. Most also appeared to be on first name terms with the host. If nothing else, it means they are regulars and so the BVR must be doing something consistently right to keep custom and loyalty.

In a hot summer holiday, I am sure it would look so much better than on a wet winter evening.

Final note, there is parking for maybe a dozen cars in a courtyard at the back. But unless you are the last one in, don't expect to be able to easily get out again.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Overnight on business I stayed at the Bel Vue the room was spacious and clean though the bed had seen better Years and poor quality sheets made for a bad night. I tried the menu in the bar to save going out as I'd spent the day travelling, that was a mistake. I've had better food in a motorway service area and that is really saying something. Saving grace was the breakfast and the view, would I stay again mmm no I dont think so.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank millsmick
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My husband and I decided to go to Aberystwyth at the last minute, the weekend of what had been a beautiful sunny week. I tried lots of other places before contacting Belle Vue, but it seemed many people had the same idea as us and Aber was booked out.
Belle Vue had a sea view room available, so we took it. We were apprehensive about our choice due to other reviews, but had no other choice really.
The room was VERY dated. However, it was clean, the window was a nice size and the shower had excellent pressure. The room had everything we needed for an over night stay. There were two chairs in the room that we dragged across to the window for some drinks and to watch sunset before we headed out. The bed was comfy and sheets clean.
Would I want to stay more than 2 nights? Maybe not. But for one night it was absolutely fine. We paid £90 for the night, and I think that it is a bit expensive for what you get. Yes it was clean, but if thats the going rate, then the whole decor could be improved.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a sea view room. Its what you pay for.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I was booked into this hotel by my employer for a course. After reading the reviews, I was slightly anxious about staying there. My room (no 36) had seen better days but it was warm, the bed was comfortable and the shower was excellent and, most importantly, it was clean. My colleague stayed in room no 16 which was more modern and had a sea view (as did mine). My television was not working so rang reception and a man who I thought was the maintenance man (but who turned out to be the owner) came and fixed it for me. An iron and ironing board was brought to my room as soon as I requested it. The breakfasts were cooked to order each morning and were very nice. Yes, the hotel is quite dated but I would stay there again and enjoyed my stay. Staff and owner very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view - rooms 15 and 16 are nice.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Leanne M
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Let me start by saying it was “fresher week” in aber and I was lucky to find a hotel room considering all the parents were accompanying their children to aber uni – I was a walk in (no rez) and I got the only available room in the hotel. (I was on my way to snowden and I couldn’t drive any further so we stopped in Aber for the night). The front desk clerk and the wait staff were very nice and very helpful. The full breakfast was good. Dinner was subpar. The menu choices were very few. The hotel is VERY OLD and RUN DOWN. My biggest issue with the hotel room was that the bathroom had black MOLD. LOTS of black mold all over the bathroom ceiling. When I walked in the room the smell of mold was overwhelming. (not musty mildew, MOLD!) I am not sensitive to mold but this made it very difficult to breathe. I closed the bathroom door and it helped keep the smell out of the rest of the room. Upon check out I let the front desk know about the mold, and they really did not seem interested in what I was saying. I imagine it is a common complaint they have heard many times, so I doubt they were going to do anything about it. When I finally got to my destination; all the clothing in my suitcase stunk like mold. I had to go to a laundry and wash all of my clothing. It was that bad. I definitely do not recommend staying there. The view from my window was beautiful...but not worth having to deal with the horrible smell.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends