“a pleasant hotel on the seafront, with friendly staff”

Belle Vue Royal Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times on business, alone. Generally it is pleasant with friendly helpful staff. Rooms are comfortable and clean, beware of some paper thin walls though, you can hear the people in the next room too clearly!
Restaurant is acceptable, service good , food is average. Breakfast is a bit hit and miss, they seem unable to cook eggs properly.......
I can certainly recommend this hotel, but it is expensive for what it is.

Room Tip: rooms at the front have a nice sea view
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank travellingman062

Reviewed 21 November 2012

I was booked into this hotel as the usual venue used by my organisation was full.I was not disappointed, the room was warm,well appointed and had a large and well equipped bathroom.
The hotel is somewhat dated and a little rickety on stairs and passages but for all that the advantages are that it is situated on the sea front and within easy walking distance of all amenities. Room service was good,and available menu comprehensive and reasonably priced.The only drawback was limited space in the car park and a probability of being blocked in, however the management were able to release me with minimal delay. I would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: Sea view is not that important, but view from my room was less than inspiring, it was winter so I dr...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

I was in Aberystwyth with a group of colleagues from all over Wales on a Welsh course, and although we didn't have a choice of hotel it's really a gem of a place.
Rooms need to be updated as they are still old and traditional as opposed to the more modern look that most hotels have moved on to, but they are clean, and if you get a room with a view then you're in for a treat.
The staff can't do enough for you, it's location is perfect for amazing restaurants and pubs/clubs and I sincerely hope that next years Welsh Course makes its way back to Aber and the Belle Vue :)

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 19 October 2012

My friend and I booked into the Belle Vue as we were staying overnight in Aberystwyth for a University reunion. We'd booked the Belle Vue as in our student days (20 years ago) it looked majestic and I assumed it was the best hotel in Aberystwyth. How wrong could I have been. On entering the hotel I was hit by an overwhelming smell of damp (I entered through the rear entrance from the car park). The decor was very dated and grubby. We were shown to our room which I thought at £97 a night would at least be decent. We were led to a small room with several tears in the carpet, a tacky sofa which I didn't want to put my bag on let alone sit on. The furniture looked like it had been pulled out of a skip. There was an old TV with remote held together with a lot of sellotape and a hairdryer on the wall which was so old it had gone yellow. The bed linen looked as though it had been there since the seventies. The bathroom was no better. I knew I wouldn't be able to bring myself to spend the night there so we went down and complained to reception. They said we couldn't have a refund as you couldn't cancel within 48 hours of arriving. I pointed out that it wasn't until you arrived that you realised what a pit it was. They said they'd change our rooms. The second room very small, dark and dingy with ripped carpets and smelled very stronly of damp. The third room was on the top floor, was very large but equally as disgusting with a huge rip in the carpet running right across the length of the room, yellowed wallpaper peeling off the ceiling and walls, bed linen which made my grandma's look modern and a grotty bathroom with ripped carpet. I refused to take it and after getting rather irate at the reception desk and arguing for about 10 minutes, they reluctantly agreed not to charge us. I cannot believe the good reviews I have seen on here and find it unbelievable that anyone that has stayed here could rate it excellent. We left, found a little b and b half the price and had a great night. If you're considering staying here DON'T DO IT! You'll regret it!

Room Tip: For a good night's sleep, go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Iona1974
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We stayed for one night at the Belle Vue Royal in Aberystwyth the cost was £97 for a double ensuite with breakfast. The room was very 70's with a poor standard of repair and cleanliness the only positive thing was the view from the window. Take my advice save your money and enjoy the view for free from a seat on the front. Only stay here if you are very desperate and dont mind feeling like you need a shower when you leave!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank sigricb
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Stayed 2 nights, admittedly very busy nights, but had a room at the back of the hotel overlooking the car park and back of the hotel. Car park is very small for the size of the hotel. Very long corridors (yes plural) to walk down to reach our room, which felt isolated. For the £194 the room was OK other than the car park noises which woke me on the Friday and kept me awake on the Saturday, good en-suite but did not feel it compared well to other places I have stayed in Aber'. The breakfast was mediocre, a hint should be that eggs benedict has a runny poached egg not a well done one on top and bacon should not be dry with almost raw fat on the edge. Would not choose to stay here again as not value for money, but would not reject it outright.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I stop at the Belle Vue once a month for Business. I am told that it was THE place to stop at in Aberystwyth some years ago and while there are still signs that it was once a majestic and grand venue, it feels a bit tired these days. However, the service is superb, the staff are friendly and I always look forward to my visits.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business