“Great Location. Terrible Hotel”

Belle Vue Royal Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I stayed here during a business trip. It was not my first choice but all other hotels that I tried were booked.. Hotel is very dated although it is in a great location on the sea front. Needless to say my room was in the back! Room was dated, carpet needed cleaning and a good vacuum. A big no no for me is carpet in the bathroom - very unhygienic. Staff were uninterested and you got the feeling that anyone could just walk in from the street. Sleep was disturbed by noise from the street - sounded like a bar/club underneath my room. Did not bother with breakfast and will not be staying here again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Stayed here bank holiday weekend, we have never been to Aberystwyth before and took a chance,all the other beach front hotels were fully booked. We had called in to check availability they said one room left, we then called into to tourist information after checking through several hotels they advised if you wanted to stay on the front take the room. The look on the check in girl face was priceless, (snug told you so). We stayed in room 2 it was clean and spacious with a bath situated at the back of the hotel. There was no view but it is a quiet street. Breakfast was ok and it seems well placed for seeing the town. If you go to Aberystwyth then parking is an issue, the promenade was packed and only before 10 am and after4 pm you had a chance to park. Remember this is a university town and although uni pranks were fun they are not quite so funny between 2-4 o'clock AM

Room Tip: The main part of the hotel is warmer than the extension.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I stayed overnight at the Belle Vue Royal as I had work to do at the university. It's in a lovely location on the front, with gorgeous sea front views. My visit coincided with lovely weather, so I was treated to an impressive sunset and sunrise. Staff were friendly and welcoming, and I was given a sea front room. The room was small, reasonably comfortable, with impressive views. It was too hot -- this was in spring, and the heating was still on but the window didn't open. The bed was a single and tiny -- reasonably comfortable, but anyone taller than 6ft or so would struggle. The bathroom was clean and reasonably well appointed - I could have a decent shower. Everything worked in my room, though all the fixtures and fittings were quite old and well-worn (the carpet seemed new).

I had a pre-arranged dinner in the restaurant, which was very good (the food was well prepared and well presented); the staff were friendly once again. The only disappointment was the lack of any local beers on the menu! Breakfast in the morning was also very good (though the sausages weren't of the best quality).

My room was right above the bar/restaurant; there was a reasonable amount of noise coming through into my room until the bar closed around 11pm - after that, it was dead quiet. I slept reasonably well until the seagulls woke me at 530am, clamouring for breakfast or just being idiotic as they are wont to do.

I'd consider staying at the Belle Vue again if I was travelling for work - the location is great (it's just 5min walk to the rail station) and the staff are very friendly. But if travelling as a couple I'd consider somewhere else.

Pluses: location, gorgeous view, great staff.

Minuses: faded fixtures and fittings, minor noise from the bar.

Room Tip: Depends on what you want: go for a sea front view for beauty; something at the back might be quieter...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank pandoras_chocolates
Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

I visited the belle vue by off chance one night. Have to say that my stay was amazing! They didn't have any rooms but because of the situation I was in they helped me out as much as possible which resulted in me staying. The service was fantastic with a very helpful manager who was there both when I came in and when I was leaving. He was very kind and friendly. The hotel rooms were lovely, the bed was very comfy and the room was warm. Definately would stay here again! Would like to thank the manager once again for helping me and looking after me! Top notch!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location, handy for station, shops, pubs, and promenade. If you have a room at the front, there's free entertainment just people-watching, as there's all day activity on the sea-front. My second floor, sea-view room was quite small, but comfortable, clean and warm, with a tidy bathroom and everything working OK. For the noise-phobic, the window was new and double-glazed, but I kept it open at night to hear the sea. It's a Victorian building, so it's true the stairs creak and some floors are uneven but so what? - that doesn't matter to me. Breakfast offered reasonable choices, with fruit and yoghurts as well as cereals and a variety of cooked options. No regrets at choosing this for a weekend stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times on business, alone. Generally it is pleasant with friendly helpful staff. Rooms are comfortable and clean, beware of some paper thin walls though, you can hear the people in the next room too clearly!
Restaurant is acceptable, service good , food is average. Breakfast is a bit hit and miss, they seem unable to cook eggs properly.......
I can certainly recommend this hotel, but it is expensive for what it is.

Room Tip: rooms at the front have a nice sea view
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank travellingman062
Reviewed 21 November 2012

I was booked into this hotel as the usual venue used by my organisation was full.I was not disappointed, the room was warm,well appointed and had a large and well equipped bathroom.
The hotel is somewhat dated and a little rickety on stairs and passages but for all that the advantages are that it is situated on the sea front and within easy walking distance of all amenities. Room service was good,and available menu comprehensive and reasonably priced.The only drawback was limited space in the car park and a probability of being blocked in, however the management were able to release me with minimal delay. I would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: Sea view is not that important, but view from my room was less than inspiring, it was winter so I dr...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business