“not as bad as feared”

Belle Vue Royal Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed 23 February 2009

i read the reviews AFTER we had booked for a weekend in February so I was expecting the worst. It is an old building which is showing its age. The lobby and public areas (dining room, bar etc) are fine but upstairs is where the owners have failed to invest sufficiently in the upkeep of their building. There are new double -glazed sash windows and these are good for keeping the warmth in and the noise out (although the promenade is a bit lively at 4am when the clubs kick out). Our room had also been decorated fairly recently and was not unpleasant. Where they fall down though is just not bothering to deal with obvious wear and tear - paintwork chipped particularly on pipes, carpet past its sell-by date, cracked surround to bath. Quite inexcusable. The proverbial 'lick of paint' would at least freshen up these neglected areas pending the thorough-going refurb that is needed. Having said all that, the beds were clean and the rooms servicing was fine. Staff were unfailingly friendly and helpful. The breakfast was ok and there was reasonable choice. The bar had a range of decent beers. We didn't dine in the hotel. The best thing going for this hotel is its location on the seafront and close to the town centre, but it could be so much better.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank geo51

Reviewed 23 October 2008

Considering our double room cost £90 and the hotel is rated as 3*, i was expecting this hotel to be above average.

However, our room was shocking! 'Belle View' is a bit of a joke...our room had frosted glass windows to block the view of the kitchen/bin area! We were told we would have a nice view.

Not only that, there was a huge leaking gutter outside our room, which seemed to drain the entire rainwater of Aberystwyth by the sound of it! that noise was bad enough..but adding to it was squeeky floorboards and slamming doors outside our room.

The bed was barely a double and had mysterious crumbs in it when we pulled back the sheets! Not so keen on the dirty carpet in the bathroom either.

I'm not sure if all rooms in the hotel are this bad, but i would recommend that visitors don't risk it and try some of the other hotels on the pier before this one. Gwesty Cymru looked particularly nice.

All in all, this hotel is a total rip-off. I'd rather sleep on Aberystwyth Pier than sleep in that hotel again-at least i'd get a nice view!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NorthWalesCurly
Reviewed 23 September 2008

I come from a respectful family. One that had served their sovereign and country during both World Wars, a distant relative of mine was commissioned a Victoria Cross during WWI for leading a charge that caputred a machine gun despite being wounded by sniper fire.
They raised me well and taught me to respect others and study hard which gave me a good stead for my education. Their support played a part in my graduation from University which was the reason for the booking here.
The furocious attack I recieved from the receptionist for checking the booking for my parents, made three months or more prior, was quite frankly unwarranted and would closely mimick a machine gun burst.
Do not book this hotel for your graduation ceremony if you wish for good memories. That attack tarnished my final memories of studying in Aberystwyth and it is quite sad that there is an association with this hotel and my graduation.
I have never encountered such impertinence and I have stayed in many hotels in the UK and abroad. If hotels are ambassadors for their communities this is one ambassador that should be removed from office. Disgraceful.

• Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank lynch243
Reviewed 17 September 2008

This hotel is awful. Bad customer service, horrible decor in rooms, disgusting breakfast. The receptionist treated my husband like dirt because he queried the booking. I will never stay here again, what a poor excuse for a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank TravellerFromWales
Reviewed 19 August 2008

We had our wedding reception here last year (and stayed overnight as part of the package).

The staff here were fantastic, friendly, helpful and not at all stuck up. They did everything and more to make our reception a success.

Breakfast the next morning was a little slow being served - but most of the wedding party were a little slow in mind and body that morning anyway! Plenty of choice and very good food for breakfast, and a fantastic view first thing in the morning.

I would suggest that you avoid a sea view room - unless you're staying on a week night out of season. Weekends are noisy and summer holidays are just as bad if not worse. Rooms could definetly do with double glazing.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ancrab
Reviewed 29 July 2008

I stayed at the Belle Vue Royal for 2 nights in July 2008. I read some reviews online and was a bit concerned about staying there. There is also not a lot of photos of the place posted online, so hopefully these new photos will help.

First off, the hotel is not brand new and don't go expecting a 5 star hotel. However, if you are looking for a clean hotel that is on the seafront, then you have found a good place.

The hotel is older and there are some maintenance issues. The paint was cracking and the window are drafty. Also, there is carpet in the bathroom, which can be a bit of problem for some people. The toilet does make a huge noise everytime you flush it, so beware. The TV is supposed to have more channels, but you can get the basics and who goes away to watch TV anyways.

However, the rooms are clean and so was the bathroom. The view outside the window is spectacular and the location cannot be beat.

I had the breakfast included with the cost of the room twice. There is a choice of a Welsh and English breakfast. There is also cereals, porridge, toast, juice and coffee. The food was very good and the service wonderful. It was nice to eat in the dining room and look out over the ocean while eating.

Really I don't understand why the hotel doesn't have a higher rating in trip advisor. For a couple of nights stay, it is a good option in Aber.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank SassySarahToronto
Reviewed 17 July 2008

I was down in Aberystwyth for my fiancés graduation, and stayed in this hotel with four other people. There was supposed to be seven of us in total, but due to illness, we ended up two short. Not a problem we though, as the prices we were quoted were per person, not per room. We were prepared to lose the £20 deposit for each person, as that's fair game, but didn't expect to have to pay the extra for the non-attendees.

However, the morning receptionist on our day of our arrival was very accomodating, and allowed my partner to use the 'executive suite' (hardly a suite) to get ready for the ceremony.

When we returned to the hotel in the evening for our pre-booked table in the restaurant, we were shocked to find that they had put on a special 'graduation week' menu. I have to admit, the menu looked very nice, and I and one other in the party could have paid the £25 for the three courses. However, the other three did not like one single thing on the menu. The restaurant staff and the chef wanted to accomodate us to be fair, but the hotel manager refused, stating the the menu on offer was the only thing available. In the end, two of us had a starter of smoked salmon and prawn ceasar salad (which the waiter priced at £5.50 each), and this was very tasty. We were also moved into the bar area as the starters were served. The bar didn't feel very comfortable for a supposed three star hotel, although the restaurant and bar staff were all very friendly. We then left to find somewhere else to eat.

After food and drink, my partner and I returned to the hotel at about 1.15am. Until about 4am, students were on the sea-front, right opposite our window, singing, screaming and shouting. As others have said previously, although a sea-view may be nice, during the university terms, these are best avoided.

Room was fairly shoddy and old-fashioned, especially for a three star, and the floor in the bathroom 'dipped' next to the toilet and sink, and almost felt as if it was due to collapse. Hot water took a life-time to draw from the taps, and the toilet sounded like an express train when it was flushed. Not great at 3 or 4 am.

Breakfast was served between 7.30 and 9.30 and wasn't great...especially when you see that the non-residents charge is £8.50. It took an age for coffee to be served to us, and even longer for the waitress to take our breakfast order. It was small and instead of fried bread, they may as well have given us a bottle of cooking oil to drink.

Check out was 11am, which gave us an extra 30 minutes sleep after breakfast to catch-up on the lost sleep from the previous night.

At the start of this review, I mentioned about the issues regarding the two missing people. On check-out, we asked again about not having to pay the extra per person price for the non-attendees, but we were told that the price was now per room and not per person! So why did we have to pay a deposit per person? Interesting.

Overall, I couldn't really reccommend this hotel to anyone, as the service is simply not good enough. The rooms are ok, but desperately need updating and maintaining. The cost nowhere near matched the type of hotel this is. The prices are more like four or five star prices.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business