“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I was staying here for one night on business. I was very lucky to get a parking space right outside the hotel where parking is free from 6pm to 9am. Car parking otherwise can be distant. Forget the car park at the back as it is very small and very difficult to get into and out of - I tried!
My room was a single and located at the back. No view apart from the back street but quiet. The room was clean with ensuite bath/shower. Decor was okay as was the nice firniture. The hotel stair carpets are worn in places and need to be replaced but otherwise are okay.
I ate in the restaurant and the meal and service was excellent both at dinner and breakfast. I used the free wifi in the bar and had the most lovely view when not glued to the screen. The warm fine weather was of great help and to have a walk along the prom (just outside) and to read the paper after breakfast was great - until I had to go to work!

The difference between staying at the Belle Vue and my normal Travelodge hotels is that for a short time I felt that I was on holiday - especially as someone else was paying!!
I would certainly stay there again - even if I have to pay myself next time.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank dleroc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2009

I booked a single room and was expecting nothing more than a cupboard at the back but was pleasantly suprised i had a beautiful sea view!The room was small but adequate for my needs,warm,clean and comfortable,another added bonus that i did not expect aflat screen telly with freeview,on the wall.An en suite bathroom with a bath and good shower and plenty of hot water,toilet abit difficult to flush,but did eventually!The decor was maybe a little dated but i could live with it.The sea view made up for it, gorgeous.Breakfast was good and plentiful and hot,again a sweeping view from the dinning room. I stayed over aweekend and was not disturbed by any noise and slept like a log.One gripe,im a stranger in town,I drove round and round the one way system for about an hour looking for somewhere to park near enough to hotel to drag luggage in,(it was pouring with rain)nowhere does it say that the'' small ''car park is at the rear ,even reception staff didnt mention it when i said i had problems.I only came across it while out for a walk and at that time it was empty,maybe no one knows about it!! I would stay here again it was relaxing and pleasant

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank ayoNorthumberland
birmingham uk
Reviewed 23 February 2009

i read the reviews AFTER we had booked for a weekend in February so I was expecting the worst. It is an old building which is showing its age. The lobby and public areas (dining room, bar etc) are fine but upstairs is where the owners have failed to invest sufficiently in the upkeep of their building. There are new double -glazed sash windows and these are good for keeping the warmth in and the noise out (although the promenade is a bit lively at 4am when the clubs kick out). Our room had also been decorated fairly recently and was not unpleasant. Where they fall down though is just not bothering to deal with obvious wear and tear - paintwork chipped particularly on pipes, carpet past its sell-by date, cracked surround to bath. Quite inexcusable. The proverbial 'lick of paint' would at least freshen up these neglected areas pending the thorough-going refurb that is needed. Having said all that, the beds were clean and the rooms servicing was fine. Staff were unfailingly friendly and helpful. The breakfast was ok and there was reasonable choice. The bar had a range of decent beers. We didn't dine in the hotel. The best thing going for this hotel is its location on the seafront and close to the town centre, but it could be so much better.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank geo51
North Wales
Reviewed 23 October 2008

Considering our double room cost £90 and the hotel is rated as 3*, i was expecting this hotel to be above average.

However, our room was shocking! 'Belle View' is a bit of a joke...our room had frosted glass windows to block the view of the kitchen/bin area! We were told we would have a nice view.

Not only that, there was a huge leaking gutter outside our room, which seemed to drain the entire rainwater of Aberystwyth by the sound of it! that noise was bad enough..but adding to it was squeeky floorboards and slamming doors outside our room.

The bed was barely a double and had mysterious crumbs in it when we pulled back the sheets! Not so keen on the dirty carpet in the bathroom either.

I'm not sure if all rooms in the hotel are this bad, but i would recommend that visitors don't risk it and try some of the other hotels on the pier before this one. Gwesty Cymru looked particularly nice.

All in all, this hotel is a total rip-off. I'd rather sleep on Aberystwyth Pier than sleep in that hotel again-at least i'd get a nice view!

• Liked — The Port in the bar was rather nice.
  • Disliked — the terrible room!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NorthWalesCurly

Travellers are raving about these Aberystwyth hotels

Great Britain
Reviewed 23 September 2008

I come from a respectful family. One that had served their sovereign and country during both World Wars, a distant relative of mine was commissioned a Victoria Cross during WWI for leading a charge that caputred a machine gun despite being wounded by sniper fire.
They raised me well and taught me to respect others and study hard which gave me a good stead for my education. Their support played a part in my graduation from University which was the reason for the booking here.
The furocious attack I recieved from the receptionist for checking the booking for my parents, made three months or more prior, was quite frankly unwarranted and would closely mimick a machine gun burst.
Do not book this hotel for your graduation ceremony if you wish for good memories. That attack tarnished my final memories of studying in Aberystwyth and it is quite sad that there is an association with this hotel and my graduation.
I have never encountered such impertinence and I have stayed in many hotels in the UK and abroad. If hotels are ambassadors for their communities this is one ambassador that should be removed from office. Disgraceful.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Staff, breakfast, amount of stairs
  • Stayed July 2008
2 Thank lynch243
Mid Wales
Reviewed 17 September 2008

This hotel is awful. Bad customer service, horrible decor in rooms, disgusting breakfast. The receptionist treated my husband like dirt because he queried the booking. I will never stay here again, what a poor excuse for a hotel.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank TravellerFromWales
Aberystwyth
Reviewed 19 August 2008

We had our wedding reception here last year (and stayed overnight as part of the package).

The staff here were fantastic, friendly, helpful and not at all stuck up. They did everything and more to make our reception a success.

Breakfast the next morning was a little slow being served - but most of the wedding party were a little slow in mind and body that morning anyway! Plenty of choice and very good food for breakfast, and a fantastic view first thing in the morning.

I would suggest that you avoid a sea view room - unless you're staying on a week night out of season. Weekends are noisy and summer holidays are just as bad if not worse. Rooms could definetly do with double glazing.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ancrab