“Charming hotel, beautiful view, wonderful staff”

Belle Vue Royal Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
A TripAdvisor Member
“Charming hotel, beautiful view, wonderful staff”
Reviewed 17 April 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Belle Vue Royal for our best friend's wedding. Our room was comfortable and charming, and for such an old building I thought the bathroom was very nice. The water pressure in the shower was great. The view from our window was gorgeous. The staff was absolutely wonderful. Very accomadating and friendly. The continental breakfast was delicious. The only negative was that we had a room with the outside advertising spotlights right below us shining into our room when we went to bed, and the drapes were not heavy enough to block it out. None of our friends had that problem. Other than that I would say our stay was perfect. A great location to walk to restaurants and shops, even in the off season.

• Stayed January 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Nottingham UK
Reviewed 9 March 2006

I stayed here for 2 night on business, and found the hotel to be resonably clean for it's type and ideally located for walking around Aber.

The hotel is decorated in traditonal british seafront style (not contemporary) in fitting with the age of building. I understand all the rooms are upstairs so there will be climbing. There did not appear to be a lift, which may be an issue if you have a lot of luggage.

My room was clean with a great view of the bay, which is just across the road from the doorstep. Parking is limited, there are a few spaces around the back of the hotel but it's a squeeze to get in and out. There is public parking in front of the hotel which is a better bet if there are any free spaces.

The bathroom was carpeted, which is in accord with the rest of the decor if not a little unhiegeinic and there were a *few* alien hairs on the outside of the bath, which would have creeped the wife out, but the fittings were otherwise well-cleaned. The shower did take a while to heat up, which I suspect is due to the age of the plumbing.

I was disappointed with my cooked English breakfast, as the sausages were the cheap connective-tissue kind, and the scrambled eggs tasted greasy. So I didn't finish them. I expect better than roadside van quality in a hotel. Time restrictions and the usual suspicions stopped me sending it back, and I opted for the cornflakes instead.

My breakfast experience meant I did not dine in the hotel for my evening meal, instead preferring the Light of Asia curry house one night (excellent) and the King's Carvery (just next to the hotel on the seafront) the second. This was also excellent.

I summary, a nice place to stay, clean enough and ideally located for visiting the city.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
7 Thank BlimeyOReilly
Reviewed 18 October 2005

Having stayed in this hotel at least 3 times per year since 1995, I have never had a complaint to make about any aspect of my stay.

Now when I call to make a booking I am made feel welcome and get the impression that my repeat business is valued.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2005, travelled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 August 2005

Right on the sea front - great loacation. Could only give it an average rating, I'am afraid. It is an old building and one can accept the creeky floor
boards and long corridors etc., When we arrived there was a wedding taking place, so that's a good indication, for who would hire a hotel for that perfect day if it was not up to standard?! Good points: staff friendly and helpful. Sea view room, twin bedded and spacious, on suite power shower
and all very clean and tidy with TV, tea, coffee and trouser press etc., On the first floor and we could not hear the disco that went on into the night after the wedding. Breakfast, there is a choice we had the full hit it, they are not mean with their portions and it was very tasty. Bad points: Firstly no lift, some guests asked and where given help with the luggage but it just depends on what time of the day/night you are checking in as to staff levels for help. Secondly, parking or should I say lack of it. Small hotel car park to the rear, but you may get blocked in. Parking on the promenade, just depends how lucky you are to get a space outside the hotel. Could do what we did, parked further down in an available space and hauled the luggage to the hotel, then later, after 8pm I stood in one space outside the hotel while my fella ran down the prom to get our car. Bar is small, well stocked, but the wedding party had taken over. Price, I
though a bit on the high side, even for a sea front with sea view £74 a bit
steep! Although the bedroom had everything, the curtains where faded and so where the bedcovers. My bedcover had several repair jobs done on it. There was also this awful pink/green/lemon and orange flowery border around the white clean walls - yuk! I can easily forgive the parking
and the fact that there was no lift. I even thought that the creeky floor boards added charm and atmosphere to this victorian hotel but where i really felt let down and marked it as average was the bedding and curtains
including the yuk boarder. Replace these, with new and it would be worth the price and rating would be above average. Yes we would definately go back again if we found ourselves in that area.

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sandhurst
Reviewed 24 May 2005

Well you're on this site trying to get an idea of whether this hotel would be good to stay at. The answer frustratingly for you is...it's OK. Basically this hotel is the as close to classic old fashioned British hotelling as it gets.

It is a typical old hotel sited on an old sea front road in an old British seaside resort with tired old buildings all around with a tired old shopping area, oh...and lots of tired old people!

Aberystwyth itself is your classic timewarp seaside town still operating in the Victorian era with some hilarious old fashioned restaurants. One "Chinese" restaurant in particular could single handedly undermine the up and coming economic image of China itself single-handedly.

As for the hotel itself, the patterns on the wallpaper and carpets alone could hurt the eyes of a blind man. There is a comedy ramp in reception that any athletic person in a wheelchair could probably catch at just the right angle and send themselves off down the sea front road on one wheel.

The floors creak like a haunted mansion and so do some of the staff but overall it is fair to say this is a good old fashioned seaside hotel. Actually, the service was generally good and the staff extremely nice.

The individual room temperate control system is highly ingenious - you can either open the window...or close it. Personally I would recommend opening it as you cannot stop the radiator belting out heat even when it is off...back to that haunted house feel again!

The en-suite bathrooms are adequate although bringing your own curtain rail might prove useful as the shower screen doors in the baths aren't actually big enough to catch any of the water. Also if you are of a nervous disposition you might not want to flush the toilet after you have used it - once you do the Macerator kicks in and the noise would probably upset little woodland creatures up to about a mile way!

If anyone from the hotel is reading this can I please make one particular suggestion - for goodness sake buy some new remote controls for the TV's. I lost hours of my life trying to manipulate the batteries through the gaffa tape just to get the remote to work. A long stick would have been quicker.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the food in the hotel as I did not eat any but I can say that the restaurant was generally full so hopefully that is a good sign.

Put simply, if you want a quaint old, slightly smelly typical British seaside hotel then this one is perfect - if you want modern decor and all that razamatazz then don't. Actually if you want the modern approach you might do well to avoid Aberystwyth all together!

• Stayed May 2005
7 Thank CliveMSandhurst
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2005

Only the position and the comfortable bed redeemed this hotel. We like individual hotels with the quirks that come with character, and don't have a problem with faded decor and fittings and lack of modern facilities like gyms and swimming pools. So that wasn't our complaint about this hotel. Having chosen it, and paid a supplement to ensure a good room, because of it's position right on the promenade, it was very disappointing to find the wonderful view obscured by a visiting children's fairground (not the hotel's fault) and by copious dried on bird droppings across the bay window (which was).
Service in the restaurant was dire, to the point of being ignored despite sufficient staff for the numbers dining. Everything was too much trouble. The food was quite good, and portions very generous, but spoilt by the lack of interest of the restaurant supervisor which was reflected in the lack of competence of the staff.
This hotel just isn't worth the money - you can stay in a Hilton or similar at the weekend for similar or less cost. I would describe it as B and B standard (which is probably doing a disservice to a lot of B and Bs - several are adjacent to this hotel and may well be a better bet) at 4* hotel prices. What made this experience even worse is that. having talked to the receptionist about this on checking out (having completed the provided questionnaire) she expressed real concern and said she would be passing this on to the manager later that day. A week later there has been no contact from the hotel - so they haven't even taken the opportunity to address our complaints. So poor feedback seems even more justified.

• Stayed March 2005
9 Thank seelybee

Travellers are raving about these Aberystwyth hotels

Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 September 2004

The only reason that I have not rated this as terrible is that the hotel does have stunning views of Cardigan Bay. Also, there was a waiter named Alex at breakfast that was terrific. Otherwise, our room was given to us unmade at 7pm, the room stunk to high heaven from a water spill in the carpeted bathroom. There was an old and well hardened seagull poop on the window and we had to have housekeeping pull the fuse on the towel heater in the bathroom or we would have died from the heat. And prepare to climb stairs!

13 Thank ShelbyOH