“central, sea front hotel”

Belle Vue Royal Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed 1 August 2010

This hotel is within easy walking distance (5-10 min) of the railway station and is located on the sea front. The room I stayed in was spacious and clean. However the fixtures and fittings were rather dated (apart from the TV). There was a good selection of cooked options for breakfast. The staff were friendly but facilities are fairly limited.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank markybrum

Reviewed 20 July 2010

Staff were friendly, but the hotel is dated. I had a very small single room, but it did have a very lovely sea view. The hotel is in an excellent location right on the sea front, but they do need to update the rooms, this hotel has great potential to be fantastic- but it’s not!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Blodyn7
Reviewed 14 June 2010

I arrived on the last train to Aberystwyth at 11.45pm and was given a wonderful welcome by the night porter. My room overlooked the sea and was a decent sized single and for £60 a night it felt like very good value. The room was well maintained and nicely presented and the bathroom was clean. Breakfast offered a fair selection of cereals and fruits. The cooked breakfast was very good and the service was quick and friendly. I was woken in the night by some late night revellers on their way home along the beach but managed to fall asleep again quite quickly; the windows look new and do keep a lot of noise out. The hotel is well situated, right on the sea front, perfect for late night and early morning walks. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 June 2010

This hotel was okay - but it needs a big makeover to be Royal again - the decor of the halls and bedrooms were quite dated. The breakfast area was nice and bright though and the breakfast was ok too. Location wise it was right on the seafront and lovely views across the bay - unfortunately though the whole area seemed to be a student zone! The staff were helpful and polite and the hotel was clean - but just needs a makeover!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I stayed at this hotel last week on a business trip as our usual hotel was fully booked. The hotel is located right on the seafront and has a good bar which I'd been in before, encouraging me to book rooms here for 3 of us.

My room was situated on the first floor at the back of the hotel which meant i had to follow several dark corridors up and down stairs to reach it. I half expected to see a pair of ghostly twins appear at the end of the hallway at any moment.

I noticed that the stair carpet to the next floor was threadbare to the floorboards and the wallpaper in the hallways was water damaged and hanging off. Another staircase was closed off (i'm guessing that it was dangerous by the look of it).

On reaching my room I was pleased to find it clean, but the windows looked like they had not been washed for years, my radiators were only hot at the top and the furniture was so dark it made the room seem even darker. The bathroom is carpeted (yuk) and the over-bath shower is the sort you would get in a 1970s caravan. The extractor fan that comes on every time you use the light switch is excessively noisy and the towels are postage stamp sized.

Bedside lamps had the wrong bulbs in them, and they comically peeked out of the top of the shades.

The weather was shocking- 80mph winds, so I opted to eat in the hotel restaurant. Big mistake. I ordered a fish cake with citrus mayonnaise to start. This was basically breaded breadcrumbs, bound together with glue and vaguely flavoured with fish. The mayonnaise was 3 huge blobs of supermarket light mayo with a bit of zest grated on top. Awful.
I then had the Sicilian chicken. This was supposedly stuffed with tomato and mozerella and served with tomato a basil sauce. The stuffing tasted like something christmassy and the "sauce" was clearly Campbells Condensed Soup, that had not been diluted. I noted with interest that Tomato and Basil soup was an option for a starter....

Pudding was Sticky toffee. It was passable, but came with no cream or icecream.

My colleague ordered the Steak and Kidney pie. He said that the meat was tasty, but it was just a stew with a pillow of flaky pastry perched on top- it wasn't even in a dish.

We got to bed about midnight, and the bed was comfy and i dropped straight off only to be woken at 3.50am bu a huge crash as a door from the yard of a pub at the rear of the hotel flew open in the wind and started smashing against the wall of the adjoining property....for the whole of the rest of the night. Then I had to get up and pack my windows and door with paper to stop them rattling in the wind. Didn't really sleep after that.

Breakfast was very poor. The bacon was undercooked, and fried bread so oily it was inedible. As I sat at my table I noticed water pouring down the inside of the window. I told the waitress. She just shrugged. I think that summed it up. The owners do not care about this property from what I can see.
£75 a night and £21 for dinner?? A joke.

Don't even contemplate staying there.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank Nikkirevo
Reviewed 28 March 2010

Phoned the Bell Vue the day before my visit, helpful chap took my booking and when asked gave £10 off the normal of £95 for a double room with a sea view to include full breakfast.
Arrived early so my room was not ready but the scottish lady on reception was very helpful and said we could leave our bags behind reception until our room was ready, i asked about car parking and was told that i could park at the back of the hotel (very small for about 6 cars at most).
We then went for a walk and returned later to check in and was informed that our bags had already been taken to the room, room was of plenty size with a decent en suite with a good shower, the decor of the room was ok and the bed was comfortable however the top cover and blanket had seen better days (i did mention this to reception when i booked out who said they would sort it out and thanked me for my feedback).
I sleep with the window open and it was great to hear the sea break the waves during the night, however with this came the dawn chorus of party revellers as they zig zagged their way home singing their little hearts out (Bless the students of Aberystwyth).
Breakfast the following morning was excellent and of a very high standard, check out was very straight forward and we were wished a pleasant journey back home.

All in all we had a fantastic stay at the Bell Vue for our £85 and we are looking forward to going back later in the year.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pignbroke
Reviewed 19 March 2010

The earlier reviews on this site put me off a bit so I was pleasantly surprised. They've obviously taken some comments on board. All the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. The hotel is slightly dated but everything was perfectly acceptable. We ate in the restaurant both evenings (set 3 course) and the food was very nice although the choices were more or less repeated on the second night so if you're a vegetarian you could be a bit limited. Lots of choice for cooked breakfasts but could have more choice of fruit. We all had a sea view which was great, obviously if you're located at the back you won't have that! We enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business