“Fairly good, but not great”

and 1 more site!
Gwesty'r Marine Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Chester, United Kingdom
“Fairly good, but not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

There's a fine line between "shabby chic" and just plain "shabby" - the Marine has one foot either side of the line.

The rooms in the older part of the hotel are fairly well equipped and pretty comfortable (nice beds), but very small. If your plans involve cat-swinging, you'll be very disappointed. Rooms on the front of the hotel have a sea view in their favour - otherwise you're overlooking the car park and other properties' garages. Rooms in the newer annex at the back are a bit larger (but not much), but lack the character and warmth of the rooms in the older part of the building.

I suggest getting down early for breakfast - all the hot food is out on a buffet, with the usual attendant issues (rubber eggs, beans with a skin on top, nothing as hot as it should be).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gareth H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Greek first
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

I stayed at the Marine for one night in a twin room - the room was clean and relatively modern, lovely large TV and a sea view- who could ask for more? The staff were all extremely helpful and friendly, and the buffet style breakfast was plentiful and tasty- just what I needed after a night out. Considering the price, this B&B is excellent value for money!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel on the 26th and 27th April for our wedding anniversary. My husband was at the university a lot of years ago and wanted to go back to 'kick the bar' and visit some of his student haunts, most of which were still there. We stayed in room 111 which was lovely with a lovely bay window and view across the prom. The bonus was the window opened so we could sit in the warm listening to the sea. The bathroom was ok, lots of mirrors, smashing shower and a noisy spa bath if you wanted to use it. The hair dryer was a bit far away from the mirror, but any faults were minor niggles made up for by the very comfortable four poster bed, it was bliss. We missed breakfast on Saturday because we were so comfortable we slept through the 9.30 finish, a bit early for the weekend we thought. So far so good, and I would return, just making sure there wasn't a wedding party in the function room below. There was on the 27th and the bass was so loud the floor in our room was rocking, the bedside tables moved and there was no way we could get to sleep before it finally ended at 0015. Over an hour, I tried to ring reception 4 times but there was no reply. When we complained in the morning that we had not been told about the wedding and that the noise was unacceptable, the manager asked why we hadn't rung reception. When we told him we had on several occasions his response was that he had been there all the time and we should have rung the bar. He was fully aware that the disco had been very loud and that anyone in room 111 would have been disturbed, but that no one else had complained. At this point another guest just checking out said that he had been disturbed by the loud bass which had moved furniture in his room. We secured a small reduction in the price of our stay but this was done very begrudgingly. It's a shame the manager didn't seem very effective mumbling that he couldn't do anything else without speaking to his boss and made us feel that the whole thing was our fault.
As I say it was a shame, we'd enjoyed the comfort of our room ,the breakfast we had on Sunday was plentiful and tasty served in a lovely light ballroom with very attentive staff, the location on the front is second to none with plenty of free parking, just check about any functions that might affect your stay.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

stayed at the"Marine"for a couple of nights-bit of a dinosaur,needs a refurb..had a room with bay window looking over the prom/sea so very pleasant outlook and room wasnt actually too bat atall..breakfast was actually pretty decent,waitress service from a very pretty Polish lady,so a bonus!..overall despite having definately seen better days not too bad.

Room Tip: take a sea-view with a bay window,seem to be the better rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

Needs an overhaul. Room was large but very dated and the 'en-suite' was so narrow if you turned round there was a real danger of grazing your elbows as you spun round. The two bedside lamps had no plugs nearby so I had to borrow an extension lead from work to power them up. The kettle didn't work either and I had to 'borrow' one from the vacant but open room next door. And the walls must be made of rice paper - some miscreants stayed for a weekend and were so noisy and vile I would have gladly disemboweled them. The guests only kitchen area in the basement was a god idea if you're working late and want to cook your own food BUT it was hardly used as it was fairly disgusting - un-emptied rubbish bag, flying bugs and some rotting milk in the fridge which must have been left by plague victims. No, it just won't do.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Aberystwyth hotels

Dinas Powys, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times and found it to be pretty outdated and poor value for money. The shower is a dribble and cold unless you get up at the crack of dawn and the WiFi is VERY patchy (I think it only works if you happen to have the room above reception). Last time I stayed there it was really cold so I went to ask for an extra blanket at reception. I was given a grubby duvet with no cover. The cleanliness is passable although you do find the odd random hair here and there. One thing to be aware of - this hotel has ALOT of functions. When I stayed there was a party going on until 3am. I had to get up for work at 7am and I was absolutely driven to distraction - when I got up to complain I found there was no-one overseeing the party and the lobby was full of drunken party-goers. NOT GOOD. Oh and make sure you take all your belongings with you when you leave because even if it is not of any value you can be assured that it won't be there later!

Room Tip: Don't leave anything lying around or you will lose it!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Warwickshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

Having read other reviews after booking I wondered what i let myself in for. I don't normally do reviews but feel I have to based on my recent experience to counteract some of the negativity. We went for two nights mid week out of season. When we arrived the member of staff on reception offered to set up a separate table in the bar for breakfast so we could have our dogs with us rather than leaving them in the room. The room we were shown to was twin rather than the requested double and when we asked for a change we were instantly given a much bigger room on the first floor overlooking the prom/sea which was perfect for us.
The staff we had contact with were unfailingly helpful and friendly (more than can be said for one of the guests). There was scaffolding up (and we had been warned before booking) but we had no noise from builders outside 'normal hours'. Didn't use the gym but why would you if you've got the beach and cliff walks. Would I go back - definitely because I really enjoyed the break. But probably not in the season or student term time and maybe not at a weekend, but that says more about what I think busy Aberystwyth would be like
than is any criticism of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple