“Bryncarnedd Country Cottages (Student Rave Party Village)”

Gwesty'r Marine Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We had the significant misfortune to stay at the Calf Suite in April 2013:
1. We had no sleep that evening due to the students who appear to let the majority of the accommodation, who held a party until 05:00 on 28 April, there was loud ‘music’, shouting, foul language, taxis arriving and departing sounding their horns. At 05:00 there was the sound of an impact against the Calf Suite, which transpired was a wine bottle that was thrown onto the roof and smashed to pieces.
2. The hot water was not working, although this was rectified at 21:00.
3. The wi-fi worked once for about twenty minutes only and then was not available.
4. The accommodation had not been cleaned property, the glasses and cutlery had to be cleaned by us before use, the kitchen unit handles were covered in a greasy film.
5. The Jacuzzi was dirty and empty when we arrived, although the students had filled the Jacuzzi with water and left the tap running causing water to cascade into the car park. There are significant legionella risks associated with leaving the Jacuzzi in this condition.
6. There was extensive litter on the ground, pizza boxes, empty alcohol bottles etc.
7. The refuse area was overflowing with rubbish and rats.

We suggested to the Hotel that the website is amended to read, don’t expect to get any sleep as our properties are occupied by students who engage in loud parties until dawn and have no respect for others or their property.

The hotel refunded 75% of the cost of our one night stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank EastCheshireReviewer
There are newer reviews for Gwesty'r Marine Hotel

Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed one night here as our son was starting Uni in the lovely Aberystwyth. The location is superb although we did not have a seaview which was a shame. I regretted booking though online agency as could have saved about £20 by booking direct! Think it was over priced, we paid £120 for a double room and dinner was a little pricey too. But then I suppose you pay for the location.

The staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful, what you expect in Wales! The waitress in the restaurant was delightful, could not have been better. We arrived late after a long day and decided to eat in the hotel as we were exhausted. They were happy to fit us in at late notice. The dining room was nicely decorated and we could sit in a bay window looking out on the sea front which was lovely.

I enjoyed my Duck a l'Orange very much but think it might have been boil-in-the-bag. My husband did not enjoy his meal that much but then he is very fussy! We had so many vegetables of different kinds that we did not seem to make an impact! Decided against dessert as there wasn't much choice.

Liked our room, no issues at all. Attractively decorated, comfy bed and nice ensuite, All quite spacious.

Breakfast was great. Hot buffet and continental etc. Basically you could eat whatever you wanted and how ever much. My husband ate loads and I just had a light option. Unlimited tea and coffee served at table.

The highlight for me was the lovely man who served us. Clearly very experienced in the hospitality restaurant, we struck up a conversation about his career and background - from South America and an ex-acrobat! Very friendly and I enjoyed our conversation.

I would come here again but will try to find somewhere cheaper if I can and would prefer to eat somewhere in the town.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Had I read some of these reviews before booking I would not have booked this holiday complex.
It is listed as 4 star with cottages4you, but 2 star would have been generous.
On first appearance it looked ok, but on closer inspection and having spent 7 nights here I feel justified in my complaints.
There is no reception here and no booking-in procedure, the keys are left in the door and that's it, no welcome pack, no information nothing.........we eventually found an information folder on the bottom shelf, at the back of a sideboard completely by accident on the fourth day of our holiday! Which is also when we discovered the link to the hotel, any problems? Just call this number.....yeah fat chance.... I had no phone signal at the complex so couldn't phone anyone!!
The kitchen although adequately equipped was shabby and grubby, definitely seen better days, the cooker was filthy and I had to clean it before use, there was mold around the shower, which I also had to clean before use, also a mildew stain on the bed sheet, which I did manage to get exchanged purely by chance having spotted a solitary worker on the day of arrival.
There is no attention to detail here which is a shame as the complex could work a lot better with just a little more input..... comfortable, modern furniture, but not looked after... we had to tighten the bolts on the dinning table legs as the were very wobbly, the headboard on the double bed was so wayward and loose we had to stuff a pillow behind it to stop it from banging on the wall with the slightest of movement, the en-suite in the spare room was an absolute joke, anyone over ten stone would have problems sitting on the loo as the hand basin is almost on top of it.... very handy if you're small and have a dodgy tummy though, no need for a bowl!!
I have a little OCD so the pictures and mirrors really wound me up, nothing centralised.... the stair banister overshoots the actual stairs and sticks out by about a foot at the bottom and on the second flight it sticks out a couple of inches, which could be a danger to children running upstairs, I caught my shoulder a couple of times, so definitely a health and safety issue. The net curtains front and back were about a foot too long and hung on wires on the door surrounds, subsequently every time you open the doors you're standing on the nets which then get pulled tight on the wires which over time has exposed the wire causing damage to the nets at the top as well...the curtain rails don't end neatly where the doorways end, they carry on into nowhere, like over the worktops??? Elaborate wall light sconces in the lounge, with a tatty pendant light on the ceiling?? Light bulbs which protrude through the top of the lams in the bedrooms....the list is endless......
The so called shared laundry room was absolutely abysmal, disgusting, could not, would not use it.....
Very shabby..... definitely not 4 star accommodation!
Also advertised with pub nearby, within a mile, which is true but it is not a walkable mile, as the first .25 is along an unlit road with no pavement, risky in the dark!!
I could go on... albeit lots of little things, but it spoilt my stay..... we would definitely not stay here again, nor could we recommend it to anyone, apart from the solitary worker spotted on the first day we saw no-one connected to the cottages at all, very poor show!!

1  Thank Deborah W
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I was attending a function being held at the hotel so booked a room thinking it would be a good idea. On booking in the receptionist wasn't very welcoming, no instructions given of how to get to room. Just asked me to complete registration form, took my payment and gave me my key. I asked how I get to my room, I was told to take the lift to the 1st floor. I managed to find my room...... if you can call it that it was as some would say - compact in other words very small and at a cost of £90 I wasn't too happy. The only plus was the function I was attending - the food was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Second time we have stayed. Will definitely stay again !This time a more expensive room ...£160 for two of us for B & B one night. The room was bigger than the last room we stayed in but of the same standard - so extra cost just equalled extra floor space and a bigger TV. Bed was FABULOUSLY comfortable ! View over the bay as always a delight...as is being lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves. Noisy people in room next door - but not hotel's fault if other guests are just inconsiderate and shout instead of speaking to one another for hours on end as a bit tipsy ! Had to go and request more coffee as only enough for one cup. Breakfast was lovely with a great choice and plenty of it.

Room Tip: Had a smaller room which was excellent value per night ...the bigger rooms are just that, bigger...b...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed 2nights in total, the first night was lovely so we decided to stay a second night. What a mistake, the 2nd night a large group of father and sons arrived. They were friendly and the children were well behaved to start with but once the booze started flowing that all changed. The fathers got rather rowdy and the more drunk they got the more they lost control of their kids. we went to bed around 11pm and the kids were running up and down the hotel corridors, shouting banging on doors and generally making a lot of noise with the parents no where to be seen. the only member of staff was the young lad who worked on the bar, nice chap but he was way out of his depth when it came controlling the residents. eventually the kids started to behave after my wife gave them an ear full, we managed to finally get to sleep. Then at 2am one of the little darlings set of the fire alarm, we had to assemble in the lobby waiting to find out if the fire was real or not, the staff didn't know what was going on which didn't help and it wasn't nice being surrounded by the now very drunk fathers.
on check out the next morning the girl on the desk seemed indifferent to the awful stay we'd had, she didn't offer an apology or and money of the nights stay.
I love Aberystwyth but will NEVER be staying at this hotel again... avoid at all cost

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We stayed for one night in Aberystwyth and booked at Gwesty'r Marine after doing an internet search.

The greeting on arrival was friendly and our room was comfortable with a sea view which we requested and a jacuzzi bath which we did not request but did what it said on the box. Unfortunately, although we asked for a room with Wifi, our room did not have that service. We enjoyed our dinner and breakfast where the food was just what we would have expected with a good choice on the menu and Welsh brands where possible.

The hotel does not claim to be anything other than work in progress, and clearly there is some way to go. However, the downstairs - foyer, bar and reception area - is well laid out and extremely welcoming. However, in some areas there are some simple, cheap cosmetic changes that could be undertaken that would improve the guest experience.

We enjoyed our stay and would go back.

Room Tip: If you want Wifi, you should ensure you ask for it and get it