“Do not go there”

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Mid Wales
“Do not go there”
Reviewed 17 September 2008

The rooms on the top floor are so tiny and stuffy and ridiculously overpriced. It is such a waste of money. The breakfast is okay and the bar and ballroom are really nice, but spending a night in such a horrible room is unbearable.

• Liked — Ballroom
  • Disliked — The stuffy room
  • Stayed July 2004, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Greek first
Wales
Reviewed 15 September 2008

We were a bit concerned by some of the previous reviews, but booked Gwesty'r Marine as we needed a convenient place on a busy weekend when we were combining a conference with a very short break at the seaside.

The Marine is in a lovely location with sweeping views of Cardigan Bay from the bars and lounges and front rooms.

We booked a deluxe double sea-view room for £90.00 per night b&b for two.

The room and bathroom were not huge, but very comfortable, modernised and clean, with nice furnishings and facilities.

There were comfortable armchairs in the bay-window overlooking the bay, with a beautiful sunset showing Abverystwyth at its best on a fine September weekend after a generally bad summer.

The public areas are well-appointed and the friendly and efficient staff are multilingual - Welsh, English, and a range of other European languages.

We didnt have time to try the fitness suite as the conference events were quite busy.

We didn't take dinner in the hotel- possibly a mistake as other guests told us they had enjoyed their meal and we were rather disappointed at Harry's Bar in the town centre.

Breakfast was very good, fresh with plenty of choice.

It may well be that some other rooms still need work to bring them up to standard, judging by some earlier reviews on Tripadvisor,but we certainly found the Marine to be a good value, relaxing and friendly experience.

• Liked — Comfortable, good breakfast, friendly staff, location
  • Disliked — Nothing in particular
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank myopinionWales
Craggtop
Reviewed 18 August 2008

A note in the room apologises for some parts of the hotel in need of refurbishment.
We were amazed to be informed when we complained, that we were in a refurbished room.
It was dirty, shabby, the bed had springs sticking out, it was tiny and crammed with old furniture, you had to climb over the bed to get to two chairs by the window.

Definately not worth £85.00.
The bar was nice and came complete with local drunks who ordered 1 pint and drank from the bottles of vodka in their pockets.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank Craggtop

Travellers are raving about these Aberystwyth hotels

Leeds
Reviewed 27 July 2008

The website makes the rooms look spacious, however wait until you arrive at the Marine Hotel. We booked a double room for £85.00 with a sea view. Yes you could make out the sea if you opened the dirty sash window covered in cobwebs and bird muck
Expecting a double bed we were greeted by a 4 foot bed crammed up against the wall at one side and a foot away from a single bed. There was very little floor space left, just a narrow chanel to the window.
Ensuite - a joke, the bathroom door didn't close neither did the shower door, fan broken, light broken, strange electric wires came from the tiles to under the floor, a toilet dating back to the 1800's with strange pipe work going under the seat.

The BED - springs stick out and it had urine stains on the matteress.

• Liked — Breakfast and leaving
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue R
Llanelli Wales
Reviewed 6 July 2008

I have reserved a place in my heart, of the fond childhood memory I have for Aberystwyth, it was here on the prom I saw the sea for the first time, and that was anearly 70 years ago. i remember how glamourous it was to a young child, the beautiful Victorian guest houses, and then thought one had to be rich to stay here, and nearly 70 years on, have travelled the world over and have stayed at the most luxurious hotels. New York, Sydney. Bombay Paris and Rio so on, so on.
I stayed at the Marine for 2 nights June 24th, and reserve 2 single rooms, I was given a choice of a normal single room, or a double as a single, as it was just £10 extra, had 2 wonderful double rooms on the front, one could not find a fault.
Have stayed at Gwesty Marine, several times before, but to my friend it was the first time, and was more than pleased.
one must remember that the sea front hotels at Aberystwyth are old victorian buldings, there is very little one can do to modernise them, a good job has been done at this hotel.
The two rooms we had were cosy and comfortable, and we had everything we needed to make our stay happy, Gwesty Marine is a very busy hotel, and seem's to cope very well with the amount of people that stayed there, everytime I have stayed there there is some conference on, this proves that this hotel is successful, there is a good restuarant, but we did not dine at the hotel.
The breakfast was superb on could not wish for better, the only complain I have that the table for two are rather small, and can be very cramped with china and cutlery etc.
I was very surprised during breakfast about 30 youngsters arrived to eat, where unearth have they come from, and how well behaved they were, I asked the reception, who were they and where they were from?, I was told they were from a school in Manchester, in Aberystwyth for few weeks to study, I said I never heard any noise from them the previous night, no! they are very well behaved, they come every year.
I have nothing but praised for Gwesty Marine, if one wants a difference, one can stay at charactreless hotels like Ibis, Travelodge and Premier Inn, there is nothing wrong with them. should I recommend Gwesty Marrine to my friends, yes! to some of them, unfortunately! some of them are moaning minnies, they will only devalue this Hotel Diolch yn Fawr.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank derekhd3
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2008

Very similar to the Belle Vue up the road although the food probably isn't quite as good. The rooms are pretty basic and dated, as is the entire hotel to be honest, but it does have a pretty good atmosphere and the staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank rhyd78
Manchester
Reviewed 18 June 2008

I was booked into this hotel by a company. It was scruffy but friendly enough, though I had to ask to move room the first night when I realised there was no lock on my window which was above a fire escape. As a single woman traveller this was a little alarming.
Slept fine first night. Second night was a Friday, and was woken at 11.30 by disco below which was very loud. I moved rooms again, but the noise was still terrible, especially the karaoke. Even with ear plugs I couldn't get to sleep until the event ended at around 2am. Lucky I had to get up at 6.30 the next day to catch a train ...

• Liked — The adjustable bed
  • Disliked — The noise
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business