“Give it a miss if you are on your own.”
Review of Baravin

Baravin
Ranked #11 of 155 Restaurants in Aberystwyth
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have eaten in Baravin a few times in the past and decided to eat there again,around 6.15, one weekday evening at the end of July. The place was quite full when I entered but I spotted two empty tables and sat at one. Both tables were for 4 people and unfortunately I was alone. I have always eaten alone in Baravin in the past without any problems. Neither of the two waitresses, who were not particularly busy, paid me any attention so I called one over and asked for a menu. She asked me how many would be eating. I said just me, as I was sure she must have noticed I was alone. She didn't go to get a menu, she went to speak to the daily manager. After about 2-3 minutes she returned and told me that table was reserved in 30 minutes time, that they had no other tables for at least an hour. Well there was nothing on the table to say it was reserved (that is why I sat there), nor was there a reservation on the other empty table, and two ladies behind me vacated their table while I was there. So, and in particular, since the waitress had asked me how many would be eating, I felt that they were not interested in serving me as one person does not spend as much money as 4, that they would prefer to get rid of me in order to hope that a larger group of people would come in and sit at the table. IF tables are reserved there should be a notice to indicate this. Although no-one probably saw me sit down and then leave, I felt acutely embarrassed that I was being told to leave, which in effect I was.
Baravin calls itself a pizza cafe bar. Despite it's modern external appearance the furniture inside is basic tables and chairs, nothing special. It's main courses are predominantly pizza or pasta in the £10-13 range, desserts £6, not particularly cheap, and I doubt outside the range of most students.
So will I be visiting Baravin again. No way. Rarely do I find myself writing a scathing review but on this occasion I am. Shops and restaurants have the right to refuse to serve a person, but I strongly felt that on this occasion I was refused service because I was one person sitting at a table for 4. IF Baravin was not happy with this then the waitresses should be trained to be more diplomatic, or be more alert to patrons entering in the first place.
There are plenty of places to eat in Aber which serve equally, and probably better, food than Baravin, so next time I want to eat in Aber I will go elsewhere. Baravin didn't need my custom on this occasion and surely won't miss my contribution to their till in the winter months when the place is much less full.
I do not intend to award Baravin any stars but Trip Advisor does not permit this, so the one star I award is for the view, which I had time to appreciate for 3 minutes being told I had to leave.

13  Thank Abrams

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Only had a coffee here (with really great biscotti) but the menu looked great, the staff were excellent and I would definitely have eaten here if they hadn't been full booked for that evening.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We went here with a large group. It's a Welsh speaking restaurant, but the staff quickly switch to English when they realize you don't understand a word! Nice warm welcome, great service and excellent food. It's not cheap, but the food and presentation is lovely. On a Saturday night, the bar area gets packed so it does get crowded and noisy.

1  Thank Gillian P
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We had no ideasthat behind a rather ordinary glass facade was such a superb Italian bistro.! The place was pumping on a Saturday night so we accepted a place at the bar rather than a wait for a table.
The service was swift and friendly . The pizza of welsh beef with chilies and creme fraiche was out of this world as was the burrata with heirloom tomatoes.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Travelled to Aberystwyth for a day out (2 1/2 hours drive away) and stopped here for lunch. Very modern "bistro" type restaurant, nice and clean. Although they were busy the service was good, and staff very friendly and helpful. We both had pasta dishes, and they were very tasty. The Prawn & Chorizo vermicelli was quite spicy - which I loved. My husband had the Chicken penne & it had loads of chicken. Portions were good. We were too full for desert - but they looked very nice. Prices for a seafront restaurant were OK. Facilities excellent and very modern.